FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCP 7 quits while using MB Looks

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Zeyat aden
FCP 7 quits while using MB Looks
on Jun 15, 2010 at 9:06:02 am

If there is a problem, there must be a solution. FINAL CUT PRO 7 is letting me down big time.

Here is the problem:
I'm running FCP7 on the new MacBook Pro 15" with 2.66 (iCore 7) and with 4GB of Ram (and with the graphics card, Nvidia gt3300 at 512). And still FCP quits again and again and i've done all the things I've reading here in Creative Cow and elsewhere, such as using the Preference Manager and what have you. And no luck with it. Imagine having an expensive gear at your fingertips and being unable to use it. Really frustrating. So I think and I think, feeling like throwing away the damn little expensive toy such is MacBook Pro. I open shorter FCP projects. A 2-min project, a 5-minute project or a Timeline Sequence if you will and FCP Software opens with a blazing speed and with all the effects loaded compared to the 1hr 45min project which takes at least 12 minutes to open (because once the loading gets to 43%, it just stops and you see the light on the 4TB Hard Drive not working at all... and yeah it starts working after about 10-12 minutes and the loading resumes). Anyway, I delete Magic Bullet Looks program outta the computer and no problem FCP opens the long project without stopping at 43%. But then the downside is since most of the movie has MB Looks applied to it, it can't load the FX if I try to render something. Now I reinstall everything (from scratch) from the OS X 6.3 to MB Looks and so forth and now Final Cut doesn't even open the project. I get this prompt: FINAL CUT PRO QUIT UNEXPECTEDLY WHILE USING THE looks3 plug-in. Does anyone have a solution for this problem? Or is there a program as good as MB Looks in the market that is Snow Leopard Friendly? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Return to posts index

Andy Mees
Re: FCP 7 quits while using MB Looks
on Jun 15, 2010 at 11:20:10 am

Have you tried Color? It ships as part of the Final Cut Studio suite and is much more capable than MB Looks, and if you need more presets to work from you can check out Color Looks as an add on:
http://support.apple.com/downloads/Color_Looks

Maybe have a look at Core Melt's Pigment:
http://www.coremelt.com/products/v2/pigment---color-tools.html

Also check out Patrick Sheffield's Movie Color:
http://straylight.tv/pluginz/

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Jun 15, 2010 at 12:18:36 pm

With that computer you shouldn't have these issues.
If you just have installed everything, I would recommend you to run Diskwarrior or TechTools.
After a PERFECT installing normally the system is a huge mess.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jun 15, 2010 at 2:23:56 pm

Sounds like the MB looks plug in is causing problems. This isn't FCPs fault necessarily. I would contact the makers of the plug in and ask them if they have seen this. Perhaps you need an update to bring you up to speed.

Return to posts index

Zeyat aden
on Jun 16, 2010 at 6:27:26 am

Rafael,

Yeah the system is a mess after the upgrade of Snow Leopard for the mid-2010 new MacBook Pro (15" & 17"). I use DiskWarrior 4.2 and it still leaves about six items three of which are the SUIDs as below:

Permissions differ on "System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/A/Resources/Deploy.bundle/Contents/Resources/JavaPluginCocoa.bundle/Contents/Resources/Java/deploy.jar", should be lrwxr-xr-x , they are lrw-r--r-- .

Permissions differ on "System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.6.0/Resources/JavaPluginCocoa.bundle/Contents/Resources/Java/deploy.jar", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrwxr-xr-x .

Permissions differ on "System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.6.0/Resources/JavaPluginCocoa.bundle/Contents/Resources/Java/libdeploy.jnilib", should be -rwxr-xr-x , they are lrwxr-xr-x .

Warning: SUID file "Applications/Utilities/Keychain Access.app/Contents/Resources/kcproxy" has been modified and will not be repaired.

Warning: SUID file "usr/libexec/authopen" has been modified and will not be repaired.

Warning: SUID file "usr/libexec/security_authtrampoline" has been modified and will not be repaired.

I spoke with APPLE and they said I shouldn't worry about that. But FCP still takes time to open and then quits after a while on the long project while it opens pretty fast and doesn't quit on the short project. Any idea why it does this. The Apple guys suggested that I should delete the Preferences, which I've already done thanks to the suggestions posted here. Thanks.

Andy,

I tried to work with FCP's COLOR but when I try to test/check the COLOR by opening it, I get this prompt:
Color recommends a screen resolution of 1680x1050; this system currently has a screen resolution of 1440x900.

There must be a way to fix the color resolution of the new MacBook Pro 15" iCore 5. I went into the DISPLAY in the System Preferences and the display shows only 1440x900. Do I need to calibrate the color? But the screen color looks fine... even though when purchased in April it looked much much brighter. Thanks.

Jeremy,
I think I'll have to contact MB Looks if I don't solve the problem by tomorrow.

The problem still persists. MB Looks definitely causes FCP 7 on intel MacBook Pro to quit sometimes at Launch or sometimes after working on the Timeline Sequence for a while. The Timeline project is about 1hr and 45min but there are so many other projects within that projects in BIN folders but only 2 other projects are open. Do you think breaking the projects into shorter sequences and saving them separately might help? But the final movie will still have to come together. It's a 90-minute feature. Why does FCP take so long (more than 10-min to open the long project while it opens the short projects in a jiff? Did anyone ever encounter this problem?

Thank you all again. Any advice or suggestion is really appreciated. Thanks for sharing the knowledge.

Return to posts index

Jon Chappell
on Jun 16, 2010 at 7:15:18 am

Here's how to run Color under a lower resolution:
http://www.digitalrebellion.com/blog/posts/how_to_run_color_below_its_minim...

My software:
FCS Maintenance Pack - Tools to keep Final Cut Studio running smoothly and fix problems when they arise
FCP Versioner - Backs up Final Cut Pro projects to XML and creates changelists for each revision
More tools...

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Jun 16, 2010 at 10:58:28 am

Hi Zeyat,
I work often with MB and I have had a lot of problems due to the limitation in my GPU (256MB), but I've never experienced crashes.
I'm in Leopard so I can not have a look to those "SUID files". I've saw them before. Are locked files and can not be modified.
When you did ran DW, did you got the "0 items out of order"?
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Shaun Boyte
on Jun 16, 2010 at 6:46:06 pm

Hey Zeyat -

I am having the same exact problem. It's just recently started to happen after I installed the new MB Looks AE CS5 update.

I am running Snow Lepoard, on a new iMac, with FCP 7, and AE CS5. The error happens when I edit one clip in MB Looks and then click on another clip to start color correcting. FCP quits with the following message,

"Final Cut Pro quit unexpectedly while using the Looks3 plug-in."

I am trying to contact Red Giant right now to solve the problem...must be in the new update? Anyone have any updates? I am on a tight deadline -

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Zeyat aden
on Jun 16, 2010 at 10:15:07 pm

Shaun,

Yeah it does the same exact thing that you describe. Is it really MB or the MacBook Pro? Please let me know any new updates or findings.

Did anyone else have any problem like this?

Thanks for all the help

Return to posts index

Shaun Boyte
on Jun 16, 2010 at 10:21:44 pm

Hey Zeyat -

I am actually running into the error on both an iMac and an Mac Pro, haven't hit the issue yet on the MacBook Pro, however, am sure when we do some color correction next on the MBP we'll get issues there as well.

I have been working with a Red Giant Software guru all day on chat, his initial tests he had me tried failed ( reinstalling, resetting permissions, etc.). He had me send over a crash report for him to look over. Am waiting to hear back from him soon - I'll keep you posted if I run into any solutions. My initial guess is that it's a software error that's going to need to be updated with a new version of 1.4. Coming to the conculsion only after it failed on two separate machines after installing AE CS5 and the new 1.4 software that MB Looks required to run.

Keep you posted on any word - let me know if you find out anything in the mean time.

Thanks so much!
Shaun Boyte

Return to posts index

Zeyat aden
on Jun 16, 2010 at 11:15:30 pm

Shaun,

It's a challenge. Hard gear can't function w/t the soft gear. Solution must be somewhere or there'd be no problem.

One day we won't need any upgrades as hard & soft gears will merge and will be sold as one.

Thanks all.
Zeyat

Return to posts index

Shaun Boyte
on Jun 17, 2010 at 12:09:42 am

Hey Zeyat -

Just got off the phone with Red Giant, figure I'd update on the latest.

It appears when I updated to After Effects CS5, and then updated to MB Looks from Red Giant to the 1.4 plug-in, it overrides 1.2 which works with FCP. It's an error, FCP doesn't run the 1.4, so that's why I continue to crash.

They are going to work on this issue and get back to me as soon as they can, said late this week. I am guessing there is going to have to be an updated plug-in that doesn't overwrite 1.2, or updates 1.4 so that it's compatible with FCP.

So it's a waiting game, luckily we have multiple editing bays, so we'll lose 1.4 on one of them in order to keep our FCP workflow, however, for the time being we won't be able to use Magic Bullet in After Effect on one of our bays.

Gotta give it to them though, Magic Bullet had a killer service, chatted with me online, then asked if we could chat over the phone to speed up the process. They are awesome!

Return to posts index

Donato M. Rondinelli
on Aug 2, 2010 at 3:58:18 pm

Any word on this? I have both 1.4 for CS5 and 1.2 for FCP 7. I'll try to uninstall 1.4 for AE and see how FCP7 reacts.
-dMR

Return to posts index

Donato M. Rondinelli
on Aug 3, 2010 at 6:28:39 pm

Yep, that did it for me. Maybe I missed something but 1.4 & 1.2 cannot be installed on the same system, even though is 1.4 installed in AE & 1.2 FCP. Wish I would of realized that. Could of saved 3 days of frustration.
-dMR

Return to posts index

Zeyat aden
on Jun 16, 2010 at 10:10:30 pm

Hi Rafael,

Yeah, DW does say the same thing Apple's Disk Utility does and even though they both report "repaired" and when I run them again, the same things come out. Apple Guys said that I shouldn't worry because that "Java" thing is just for internet purposes.

I deleted them all now... including the SUID's, which can't be modified. And the DU & DW don't report any differences anymore.

Funny that Apple comes up with all these updates just to get things messed up every regular fellas...

And MB Looks still acts pretty weird. If you've never had any problem with MB, then it must have some disagreement with the new MacBook Pro. Ironically sometimes FC opens but only one of the three projects in the Timeline Sequence and doesn't even show that and when clicked to see it displayed it says "System low on Memory". That can't be true but then how can a machine lie? Can someone help me figure this s**t out. Makes me doubt the beauty of Apple now. Thanks.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jun 16, 2010 at 10:21:57 pm

DW does not fix problems like this. Deleting those files might hurt you in the long run.

This is obviuoslyba problem with MB Looks and I highly suggest you contact Red Giant.

Return to posts index

rafael August
on Jul 5, 2010 at 11:52:05 pm

Hi all,

I'm having the same problem on my Mac Book Pro and I do not have the magic bullet plug in. I am conforming a sequence from an AAF via Automatic Duck. The sequence isn't very long but Final Cut takes forever to open the project. I have added Calibrated Q and Sony xd cam transfer.

I'm running FCP 7 on OSX 10.6. The problem only seems to happen when I'm plugged into my G Tech 2tb drive.

Any suggestions to help the project open faster?

Thanks,

Rafael

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jul 6, 2010 at 1:11:19 am

Rafael-

I'd suggest starting a new thread that is particular to the problems you are having if you don't have MB Looks.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Angela Kendall
on Jul 17, 2010 at 1:22:11 am

I am also having the problem with Look Suite crashing my final cut 7. I have just recently done a clean install of snow leopard and final cut 7. My hard drive is totally new and streamlined. I was using look suite and final cut 7 before with no problems at all and now with snow leopard, im getting tonnes of crashes.

This is a very frustrating problem cause I can't even select the clips to take off look suite before final cut crashes.

If anyone has any idea of what I can do, please let me know. Im nearing completion on a pilot tv show and I would hate this problem to slow down the process.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jul 17, 2010 at 3:20:10 am

Do you have a bunch of other filters on the clips? If not, select all in the timeline, right click and choose remove attributes. Then choose 'Filters' from the checkboxes and hit ok. This will remove all filters.

Edit mule also has a filter remover to remove selected filters:

http://www.editmule.com/

Return to posts index

Jamison Luther
on Nov 12, 2010 at 6:22:57 am

Just thought I'd chime in that I have the exact same problem on my MBP 17" Core i7. Start using MB Looks, play around with some clips and FCP quits. If I get the time to talk with Red Giant I will post what seems to now be a common problem on the MBP Core i7's.

Using FCP 7.03 & MB Looks Builder 1.4.

Return to posts index

Donato M. Rondinelli
on Nov 12, 2010 at 3:24:20 pm

Do you have 1.4 for AE and 1.2 for FCP installed on the same system?
You have to pick one or the other.
-dMR

Return to posts index

Jamison Luther
on Nov 12, 2010 at 5:54:08 pm

I have MB Looks Builder ver 1.4 on both AE and FCP. FCP version is 7.0.3. AE version is 10.0.0.458.

Return to posts index

Donato M. Rondinelli
on Nov 12, 2010 at 6:17:04 pm

You could try the 1.4.1 update. Make sure you uninstall all the folders. Read below.

This is from an email that Red Giant sent me. It didn't fix my situation but maybe it will fix your's.

1) Follow along with: http://www.redgiantsoftware.com/support/faq/product-specific/magic-bullet-l...
2) When you get to the Get Info section, please follow the following steps
3) Open the sharing and permissions tab
4) Click on the padlock to unlock the sharing and permissions.
5) Click on the "+" icon
6) Add in any account that isn't greyed out
7) Change the permissions to read and write, Leave "Everyone" as Read-Only
8) Click on the wheel icon next to the "+"
9) Select apply to enclosed items. (if applicable)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]