FORUMS: list search recent posts

1080i to SD DVD, I know...

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Carmine Falzarano
1080i to SD DVD, I know...
on Jun 14, 2010 at 8:48:05 pm

First post, so thank you in advance for your time and expertise.

I know there's been a ton of threads on this subject but I'm having trouble finding a definitive answer that works for me. I have some 1080i footage that has been edited in FCP, then exported using "current settings".

I need to compress this footage to get good results on a standard SD DVD using DVD Studio Pro and compressor. I've tried several workflows but most produce bad results or absurd compression times in compressor. My project consists of 6 total timelines, the shortest being about 5 min and the longest being a about 65 minutes, that need to be compressed. My last batch gave me a time remaining of 11 days!

Does anyone have a proven method and compressor settings they can pass on?

I've used compressor's "Best Quality 90 minutes" settings but have read conflicting information on what settings to use or not use in the "frame controls" and "Video Format" tabs.

Thanks!
Carmine

MacPro 2 X 2.266 Quad
8 GB
Final Cut Studio 2

Return to posts index

Chris Borjis
Re: 1080i to SD DVD, I know...
on Jun 14, 2010 at 10:58:07 pm

if you copy the best compression 90 minutes, change only to: 1 pass vbr
and resize controls to best and leave everything else it should look fine.

Return to posts index

Rob Grauert
on Jun 14, 2010 at 11:15:45 pm

you're in luck, i just made a blog post about this last night on my blog. It's the first entry at

http://command-r.tumblr.com/

Basically, One Pass CBR at 8.0Mbps will give you the best results. It fits about an hour or so onto a single layer DVD.

Rob Grauert, Jr.
http://www.robgrauert.com
command-r.tumblr.com

Return to posts index

Chris Borjis
on Jun 14, 2010 at 11:59:56 pm

Rob I'm curious, what happens when you don't change the pre-processing tab option to none?

Return to posts index

Rob Grauert
on Jun 15, 2010 at 12:08:43 am

I've read on the COW that people have had problems with audio being too low after they've encoded and this is one of the parameter to change to fix that.

Rob Grauert, Jr.
command-r.tumblr.com

Return to posts index

Kris Merkel
on Jun 15, 2010 at 1:51:53 am

The best thing that you can do for yourself regarding this issue would be to export a small section of your clip (preferably one that has some motion or txt) and run some test passes with compressor making note of your various settings. The presets are a good place to start, but there is no "cookie cutter" setting for compressing video. Each and every video is different and your compression settings will be as well.

The more you dig into the program the more familiar you will become with what settings will need to be applied for particular situations. Stay away from suggestions like "if you do this, it will turn out great" It might, but what if it doesn't. A previous poster recommended that you set your compression settings at 8MBs. But he did this without knowing the specs of your video. This data rate, in my opinion, is to high for most situations and does not leave enough headroom in the bitstream . Even in CBR. The problem is not that the disc cannot handle the data rate, rather the player may not be able to decode it. I would stick with something lower and massage your compression settings until you hit a sweet spot.

I know all to well, in a busy post situation that time is of the essence, but the skills you will gain will make you more valuable in the future.

BTW, if you ever see an unreasonable time in the batch window. cancel the encoding, quit and reboot the program. Chances are you would wait for 11 days and not have anything good to show for it.

Kris Merkel
Quad G5
OS X 10.4.11
FCStudio
CalDigit Raid

Return to posts index

Rob Grauert
on Jun 15, 2010 at 2:01:22 am

"A previous poster recommended that you set your compression settings at 8MBs. But he did this without knowing the specs of your video. This data rate, in my opinion, is to high for most situations and does not leave enough headroom in the bitstream"

That's interesting. I was told a long time ago that 8Mbps should be fine for most DVD players and exceeding that can be problematic. I've never had a problem with DVDs at that data rate.

You are right though. It all depends on the project. There certainly is no one size fits all

Rob Grauert, Jr.
command-r.tumblr.com

Return to posts index

Carmine Falzarano
on Jun 15, 2010 at 1:34:15 pm

Thanks again everyone for your insights. One question here that I forgot to ask specifically. I have one track that's about 48 min. long. With the current settings it gave me an estimated completion time of 38 hours.

The last track was in the neighborhood of 5 minutes, with a est. completion time of about 8 hours.

Is this normal? I've encoded a ton of DVDs in the past over several years but as you can tell, this is my first attempt at delivering 1080i content on a SD DVD.

I'm trying a small batch with some of your suggestions.

Return to posts index

Chris Borjis
on Jun 15, 2010 at 9:06:03 pm

are you rendering with your cluster turned on?

if you have a 4 or 8 core mac, it will speed up greatly.
encodes should be real time or faster.

Return to posts index

Carmine Falzarano
on Jun 16, 2010 at 2:02:36 pm

I believe so. I've only had this Mac for a few months now and this is the biggest renter job I've done with it. I've done a little research on it so as far as I can tell it is...

Opened System Preferences

Selected Apple Qmaster

Under share this computer as: QuickCluster with Services (selected)

Under Services "Share" and "Managed" are checked and the description reads "Distributed processing for Compressor.

Currently (during the render) all options are grayed out except for the "stop sharing" button.

In the Batch Monitor:

I currently have two jobs running. One on "My Mac Pro Cluster" and one on "This Computer". The one on "This computer" is a single file about 45 min. long that I started yesterday, its currently giving me a 105 hour remaining job completion.

The second is a batch of 4 files on the "My Mac Pro Cluster" with a total video length of about 1 hr 47 min and is showing a 66 hour remaining job completion.

So I'm not sure if I have the cluster set up properly. I thought of quitting the longer compression (This computer) but don't want to lose the work already done.

I know that may sound confusing, I hope I made it explained it well enough.

Return to posts index

Rob Grauert
on Jun 16, 2010 at 5:08:04 pm

sounds like you missed something.

In the QMaster System Prefs, click Stop Sharing. Make in the Services section you have the Compressor row selected. Click on Options for Selected service. That brings up a menu for Number of Instances. Choose the largest number. Cick Ok. Then click Start Sharing.

All of that should be done before you begin Compressing in Compressor.

When you submit a batch to render in Compressor, Make sure you Choose your Quickcluster to render, not "This Computer"

Rob Grauert, Jr.
command-r.tumblr.com

Return to posts index

Carmine Falzarano
on Jun 16, 2010 at 7:06:00 pm

Ok Rob...

The only part of this post that's confusing for me is the menu for "number of instances". In that menu I only see "This Computer" several times but no actual number. I selected all of them and hit ok. I don't know if that's what you meant.

Following the changes in Qmaster and some others suggested here I just submitted a batch of two 1080i files to be compressed. One is about 5 min long and the other about 35 minutes long.

I used the "Best 90 min" template with the following changes:

Video format tab- Field Dominance: Bottom First.
Frame Controls: On.
Resize Filter: Best.
Output fields: Same as source.
Deinterlace: Best.
Adaptive Details: checked.

Also, the Dolby Digital Professional 2.0 template unchanged.

This has produced a time remaining of 16:02.27 as the batch only started about 10 minutes ago.

Again, thanks for all your help. I've been in the business over 12 years and have never run into a problem like this.

Return to posts index

Rob Grauert
on Jun 16, 2010 at 9:18:14 pm

This is what QMaster should look like:

-Click the Stop Sharing button in the bottom right corner
-Make sure Compressor is selected in that Services section in the middle of the window
-Click Options for selected services. This bring up the dialog box you see that says "Number of Instances" and I have 16 selected.
-Click Ok.
-Name your QuickClicker... I named my cluster "Robs_MacPro_QuickCluster"
-Click Start Sharing in the bottom right corner.

When you go back to Compressor and click Submit in the Batch window, it's bring up that second window where you click submit again, right? Before you click Submit the second time, change that drop menu from "This Computer" to whatever you named your Quickcluster

I hope this helps

Rob Grauert, Jr.
command-r.tumblr.com

Return to posts index

Carmine Falzarano
on Jun 17, 2010 at 12:43:59 pm

Rob,

Here's what I get when I click that option, keep in mind I only have the column for Compressor selected and not the one for Shake. I don't think this makes a difference however.

Return to posts index

Rob Grauert
on Jun 17, 2010 at 1:34:02 pm

huh?

Make sure you did this too...

Rob Grauert, Jr.
command-r.tumblr.com

Return to posts index

Carmine Falzarano
on Jun 17, 2010 at 1:42:37 pm

Sorry I don't know why my image didn't upload...

I got the 2nd part fine. When I click the "options for selected service" button, I don't get that "number" you're getting, instead I get this list.

nodes.jpg

Return to posts index

Carmine Falzarano
on Jun 17, 2010 at 1:47:29 pm

So as you can see in my previous post, I get that list. I've selected them all and clicked "ok". Though I'm not sure if that's correct. I think everything else is correct.

Again, thanks so much for your time. I've also downloaded the pdf on distributed processing and will read that to see if I can set up my other MacPro on a network with this one for large renders in the future.

Return to posts index

Carmine Falzarano
on Jun 15, 2010 at 12:29:05 pm

Thanks! I'll be sure to read it.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]