FORUMS: list search recent posts

4x3 center extraction for 16x9 output

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
caleb crosby
4x3 center extraction for 16x9 output
on Jun 14, 2010 at 7:39:59 pm

Hello

I have some miniDV clones of 4x3 Dbeta/16mm source. It's all loaded into FCP SEQ.

Need to get a 16x9 center extraction. I'm just trying to hard crop the image, literally cut it off, say goodbye to my lovely original framing, because the 4x3 dates otherwise still appealing images. It's 111 mb for 30 secs of footage. I just want to output straight to h.264 for youtube or vimeo delivery.

Many thanks,

Caleb Crosby
DP
FCP 6.06

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: 4x3 center extraction for 16x9 output
on Jun 14, 2010 at 7:43:18 pm

Put your footage in a 4x3 anamorphic timeline and scale. Export and change the aspect ratio to a 16x9 square pixel format when encoding for web (640x360 for example).

Jeremy

Return to posts index

caleb crosby
on Jun 14, 2010 at 7:54:58 pm

Jeremy,

Thanks, I'm trying not to "scale" if I'm understanding you correctly- dragging the corner to change proportion/size. I'm experienced but the simnplest things have been known to give me fits. What do you mean by scale?

Thx much!

Caleb crosby

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jun 14, 2010 at 7:56:44 pm

OK, then export your 4x3 movie, and choose the crop function in Compressor when making your web encodes at 640x360. This will make a cropped 16x9 movie.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

caleb crosby
on Jun 14, 2010 at 8:28:57 pm

Very generous thank you sir.

Just from curiosity, are these two paths to the exact same end?
Or is there a trade off?

Looks great to me, I'm set.

Caleb crosby

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jun 15, 2010 at 1:36:27 am

Two path to same end, yes, but one allows better reframing (the first option) the second allows a straight crop, no reframing, but the advantage is you won't go through an aspect ratio (pixel shape) conversion first.

Return to posts index

Andy Mees
on Jun 15, 2010 at 6:22:22 am

Another path that lies somewhere between the two would be to use overlay 16:9 crop guide on the original 4:3 sequence and then cut up and reframe according to that crop guide ... then export to Compressor and use the crop function there as already suggested. That'll get you the straightforward center cut crop that you want + allows you some prior control over the framing.

For the crop guide overlay, you could create a graphic in photoshop or similar or use a mask shape or a preconfigured letterbox generator or similar ... you can pick up a free letterbox generator here or here and probably elsewhere too (make sure you grab the 'generator' not the 'filter' in the first of those two links.

Cheers
Andy

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]