FORUMS: list search recent posts

does this sound right?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Leon Lewis
does this sound right?
on Jun 14, 2010 at 4:00:00 am

Hi Everyone,

I'm only looking for direction... you learn more from the hunt.

Does this sound right?

Brand New (direct from apple) MBP 13" C2D 8GB RAM, External G-RAID (FW800)

For a test:

Rendering a 6min speech
One whole clip, no cuts (converted to proress 422)
Effects: fade in/fade out, contrast turned up, vignette
Sequence settings match the footy.
Clip is for sure referencing G-RAID source.

export time = 2.7 hours (to h.264)

On top of everything I get dropped frames, sketchy playback, and incredible render times.

For some reason this doesn't sound right. My iMac with lower specs does this same test in about 15min. Any ideas? I'm literally on hour 10 with this issue now. Some signs have directed me towards it being Snow Leopard issue, Quicktime X's issue, reinstalling FCS3, or reinstalling OS & FCS altogether....

Cheers,

Leon Lewis

"Standing on the shoulders of giants."

Return to posts index

Jerry Hofmann
Re: does this sound right?
on Jun 14, 2010 at 4:47:38 am

Was the installation done cleanly when you installed FCS? Did you install it all or? The dropped frame problem is likely not going to need a full reinstall, but the render times are pretty ugly.

My MBP would be much faster at this. I've similar speed tests here on it: http://library.creativecow.net/articles/hofmann_jerry/matrox_mxo2.php

What OS shipped with your machine? Snow Leopard? Was the install an upgrade or a full install of FCS?

Jerry

Apple Certified Trainer, Producer, Writer, Director Editor, Gun for Hire and other things. I ski.

8-Core 3.0 Intel Mac Pro, Dual 2 gig G5, AJA Kona SD, AJA Kona 2, Huge Systems Array UL3D, AJA Io HD, 17" MBP, Matrox MXO2 with MAX Cinema Displays

Return to posts index

Leon Lewis
Re: does this sound right?
on Jun 14, 2010 at 5:17:39 am

Hello again Jerry!

By clean install what do you mean? I had no issues installing the Final Cut Studio suite. The whole suite had no problems installing, just as it did with the old school comp.

Snow Leopard shipped pre-installed on the machine. It did NOT ship with anything final cut. I did a complete and clean install of the FCS3 suite after it arrived, no upgrading.

I found a post on setting up a G-RAID that it is best to do a clean delete/reformat of it even after receiving it. The reason is because it would ship with Mac OS Extended Journaled and you want to make sure it's just Mac OS Extended with no Journaling. I did this with no improvement...

Since you've been following my previous post, I have stumbled across a new issue: Final Cut starts jumbling playback. It looks as if its skipping back and forth between 2 different frames (in turn making the speaker look like he's dancing). This is with the 6min clip at prores422.

Starting to wonder if there actually is a some preference file that is still associating content with the internal drive but is getting mixed up since I have my footage referencing the external G-RAID. Maybe a fresh install of FCS?

The is still the unresolved QT thing.... I've found that QTX isn't optimal, so I should maybe put the install disc in and go with QT7 and upgrade to pro.

Thanks Again,

Leon Lewis

Return to posts index

Jerry Hofmann
Re: Downconverting
on Jun 14, 2010 at 4:50:35 am

Here's a good read on the subject too... http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/8/1079904

Jerry

Return to posts index

Leon Lewis
on Jun 14, 2010 at 5:28:17 pm

Thanks Jerry.

No rogue process here. The G-Raid is running at 7200. All drivers are up to date. I'm about ready to make an offer to my school to purchase the computer I've been using and return the MBP.

Leon Lewis

Return to posts index

Jerry Hofmann
on Jun 14, 2010 at 5:41:46 pm

One thing is for sure. an iMac will run Color OK and Motion barely... but that small screen on the 13" MBP just won't handle Color, and I wonder about using it with Motion as well.

That said, the MBP you have should actually be running FCP OK... and it's renders should be much faster than what you're experiencing. Problems like this are always either software or hard ware related, and your install wasn't really a dirty one so there could very well be a problem with RAM chips or the logic board in that machine... If you want to try to keep it for it's portability, I'd have Apple take a look at it on a bench...

Jerry

Apple Certified Trainer, Producer, Writer, Director Editor, Gun for Hire and other things. I ski.

8-Core 3.0 Intel Mac Pro, Dual 2 gig G5, AJA Kona SD, AJA Kona 2, Huge Systems Array UL3D, AJA Io HD, 17" MBP, Matrox MXO2 with MAX Cinema Displays

Return to posts index

Leon Lewis
on Jun 14, 2010 at 6:47:36 pm

Thanks Jerry,

I do have the MBP hooked up to a cinema display, but I have yet to try out motion or color yet because I've been working with this current issue.

I've read reinstalling FCS can be tricky because the uninstallation can forget things....which then becomes an issue upon reinstallation. So I am hesitant to try this out. I've also read about trashing preferences, but more in depth than the standard final cut plist's. Though, I am hesitant to try this as well because the rest of the computer seems to be running fine.

Unfortunately I am about 3 hours away from the nearest Apple store...

I'm going to keep searching on this issue, thanks for your tips Jerry!

Leon Lewis

Return to posts index

Leon Lewis
on Jun 16, 2010 at 11:39:04 pm

Jerry,

I think I have found the source of my problem. Under sequence settings, where it says editing timebase, I had to switch it to 29.97 (even though my clip is 59.94). No freezing now. Though, this setting on my school computer is set to 59.94 and has no issues.

The only thing now is that my clip plays fine, but you can definitely tell the difference between when FCP plays it vs. when quicktime plays the original in terms of FPS.

I used MPEG STREAMCLIP to convert my T2i files... I'm wondering if there was a version change between what my school computer has installed vs. the latest version I just installed from the Squared5 website... maybe it's missing a flag file?

I've known about the EOS plug-in from Canon but have yet to switch over because the workflow I have now works for me.

Another consideration I thought about.... before, on the school computer, I had the EOS file transfer program that came with my camera installed on the machine. I would use this to transfer the files from the camera onto my school hard drive. But now, I have a MBP with the SD card reader and haven't had to install the canon software. Maybe this is where the canon software would finalize the video files in some way? I'll check this out and update.

Best,

Leon Lewis

Return to posts index

Jerry Hofmann
on Jun 17, 2010 at 12:43:18 pm

Another thing to try is a new user account. Just set one up, and see if the problem disappears.

The more we discuss this though, the more it doesn't actually sound like a software issue. More like a hardware problem. The way the proper troubleshooting goes is to rule out all software problems before you check to see if there's a hardware problem, which is more difficult to troubleshoot on your own actually.

Your install was cleanly done over a newish computer, right? Less than say, 3 months old?

I see no issues with your workflow, I don't think the files are corrupt. You have checked these same files on the school's computer from the same drive, right? And they play just fine there? If so they aren't corrupted.

FWIW though, 59.94 isn't frames per sec. it's Fields per second. it's really the same as 29.97 frames (of two fields each) per second...

I'd have that new mac checked out by an authorized Apple repair center (Apple store nearby?)

You've more than the stock amount of RAM in there too, and that is where I think I'd have them look first. Then if that looks OK, They'd go on to the Logic board. Apple honors warranty very well and I really do think this is likely where you may need to head.

Jerry

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]