FORUMS: list search recent posts

Problem with AE Footag in FCP

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sascha Engel
Problem with AE Footag in FCP
on Jun 13, 2010 at 11:14:50 pm

Hi,

I did some Rotoscoping and masking in AE with EX1 Footage. Then I exported it as QT in the original XDCAM EX Codec. When I re-import it in FCP and set it on the timeline it shows as Playback ready (no green, yellow or red line), but still it hardly plays, just some jumpy frames.
Why it cannot deal with the footage?
Could it be a solution, to take that bit, re-render it fromout FCP and then re-import it again?

Thanx.

Sascha

Return to posts index

Jerry Hofmann
Re: Problem with AE Footag in FCP
on Jun 13, 2010 at 11:36:00 pm

Your solution will likely help alright, but also be sure that the AE export is on your scratch disk, and not on your startup disk before you bother with it.

Jerry

Apple Certified Trainer, Producer, Writer, Director Editor, Gun for Hire and other things. I ski.

8-Core 3.0 Intel Mac Pro, Dual 2 gig G5, AJA Kona SD, AJA Kona 2, Huge Systems Array UL3D, AJA Io HD, 17" MBP, Matrox MXO2 with MAX Cinema Displays

Return to posts index

Sascha Engel
on Jun 14, 2010 at 1:29:01 am

No, the exported AE Clip is not on the StartUp Disk, but on the same diskk than all the other material of the film.
I just heard from a friend though, that in OS 10.5.8 and FCP 6 are problems with the XDCAM Codec in Timeline, which is just solved in FCP 7.
So, if that is the case, than I have to live with the crashes, till the project is finished.
I am scared to upgrade a working system during a project - specially with a tight deadline!

sascha

Return to posts index

John Fishback
on Jun 14, 2010 at 12:18:27 am

You didn't mention the frame rate. Was the frame rate set correctly? If the footage is 23.98 (as it'd appear in FCP), in AFX you need to set the frame rate to 23.976. 23.98 is shorthand FCP uses. The actual rate is 23.976. If you enter 23.98 in AFX it will use that exact rate which will generate an incorrectly timed file.

John

MacPro 8-core 2.8GHz 8 GB RAM OS 10.5.8 QT7.6.4 Kona 3 Dual Cinema 23 ATI Radeon HD 3870, 24" TV-Logic Monitor, ATTO ExpressSAS R380 RAID Adapter, PDE enclosure with 8-drive 6TB RAID 5
FCS 3 (FCP 7.0.2, Motion 4.0.2, Comp 3.5.2, DVDSP 4.2.2, Color 1.5.2)

Pro Tools HD w SYNC IO & 192 Digital I/O, Yamaha DM1000, Millennia Media HV-3C, Neumann U87, Schoeps Mk41 mics, Genelec Monitors, PrimaLT ISDN

Return to posts index

Sascha Engel
on Jun 14, 2010 at 12:57:57 am

Hi John,

I live in PAL land, so both - my original file, as well as the exported file are in 25 fps in progressive mode.

Sascha

Return to posts index

Jerry Hofmann
on Jun 14, 2010 at 4:54:39 am

Well, I've upgraded mid project but only to another and separate startup disk. Got a handy firewire drive around here for this... That way you can "try it" first...

Jerry

Apple Certified Trainer, Producer, Writer, Director Editor, Gun for Hire and other things. I ski.

8-Core 3.0 Intel Mac Pro, Dual 2 gig G5, AJA Kona SD, AJA Kona 2, Huge Systems Array UL3D, AJA Io HD, 17" MBP, Matrox MXO2 with MAX Cinema Displays

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Jun 14, 2010 at 3:15:59 pm

[Sascha Engel] "Then I exported it as QT in the original XDCAM EX Codec. "
sascha,
That is a NO-NO.
XDCAM is an acquisition codec.
You are exporting something really crappy from AE, when you could be exporting something really solid:
8b 420 vs 10b 444.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Sascha Engel
on Jun 14, 2010 at 4:58:59 pm

Thanx Rafael - again! I should put you on the credit list of that movie - seriously.
Makes sense what you say. I think I imported it, that way, cause I thought I do not have to render then - just throw it on the timeline then.
So Uncompressed 8 or 10Bit is the way to go then?

Will try it, and update you how that works.

Thanx again!

Sascha

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Jun 14, 2010 at 5:13:29 pm

Hi Sascha,
Set AE to render in 16 or 32b and go to Prores or Prores HQ.
Uncompress won't add nothing but complicate the editing.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jun 14, 2010 at 7:11:12 pm

Um, if you tried using XDCam footage in AE, and you're NOT running AE 10, aka AE CS5, I'm gonna bet it's the footage.

With a tip of the hat to Shane Ross who had the original idea, here's why:

Dave's Stock Answer #1:

If the footage you imported into AE is any kind of the following -- footage in an HDV acquisition codec, MPEG1, MPEG2, AVCHD, mp4, mts, m2t, H.261 or H.264 -- you need to convert it to a different codec.

These kinds of footage use temporal, or interframe compression. They have keyframes at regular intervals, containing complete frame information. However, the frames in between do NOT have complete information. Interframe codecs toss out duplicated information.

In order to maintain peak rendering efficiency, AE needs complete information for each and every frame. But because these kinds of footage contain only partial information, AE freaks out, resulting in a wide variety of problems.

I'm a Mac guy, so I like to convert to Quicktime movies in the Animation or PNG codecs; both are lossless. I'll use Apple's Compressor, Adobe Media Encoder or Quicktime Pro to do it.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Sascha Engel
on Jun 14, 2010 at 7:58:40 pm

Thanx Dave,
I did manage to make it work good. I do not have the time and possibilities to re-render those files into Animation or ProRes before importing to AE, but with the tip from Raphael it does work. I just exported it into ProRes Files when I render the movie and it's just fine.
For my Color Roundtrip at the end of the editing, I will also use the XDCAM files, which I was told will work on an updated system - I do not have the time to convert everything before into ProRes Files.

Sascha

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jun 15, 2010 at 3:48:11 pm

Okay, you say it's fine, then knock yourself out. I hope it works.

But if it doesn't, at least you'll have a prime suspect for the the problem.... and you'll have to make more time anyway.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]