FORUMS: list search recent posts

Stock library video training tutorial

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Joe Louw
Stock library video training tutorial
on Jun 13, 2010 at 2:01:43 pm

How to do the following, I'm not compltelty lost when it comes to technology but this one gets me, maybe I make it more dificult than what it is.

I want to submit stock to istock, but don't quite get the requrement specks.

They 1st need the application part that reads like this:

You must upload Quicktime MP4 .h264 files. It is recommended to upload files in as high a quality as possible.
Your application sample files should be in MP4 format. Compression should be set to "High" or "Best". HD 1080i 960x540 @ 25, 29.97 or 30 FPS

Now I thought that QuickTime movies are .mov files now they want QuickTime movies but a MP4 format??????

THEN ONCE APPLICATION ARE ACCEPTED THE INFO READ LIKE THIS:

Your full-resolution files should be in Quicktime format, compressed with PHOTO JPEG (if file is rendered as a progressive scan) or MJPEG-A/MJPEG-B (if interlaced) with 3:1 compression. Compression should be set to no less than 95%, "High", or "Best".

Immm????

I would like to get going with this stock library footage but have already made some mistakes, a different stock company came back and said they don’t accept HDV7 footage, and that was after I did every thing just like they explained on their web-site.

I have been a photographer for more than 11 years before going over to the video side of things and my disadvantage is I came straight into HD and never had the experience of SD. So every thing is a bit much for me especially with HD having so many flavours, like you put it in your HD title.

I own the Canon XH G1 on MiniDV in HDV, I also do have the added benefit of having a HD/SD SDI out put on the camera but that is still $4795.00 later. Maybe not for now, perhaps in the future.

I shoot in HDV 50i, just so that you know for giving me guidance on this stock library stuff.

They talk about supplying them with the proxy and only once accepted the full quality clip I get all of that but what I don’t get is I thought MP4 is a format and Quicktime (.mov) is a format, that want a Quicktime MP4. What is that?

Thank you
Joe

Return to posts index

John Fishback
Re: Stock library video training tutorial
on Jun 13, 2010 at 6:24:54 pm

H.264 or PhotoJPEG are codecs (which means compression-decompression). Codecs instruct the program how to encode and decode a clip. mpeg-4 and mov are containers. They hold a codec. You can setup a mov to hold an h.264 codec or a dv codec or whatever. If you use Compressor you can setup these choices in the Inspector. The Encoder tab lets you spec Video and Audio settings and Frame Controls can be used to improve (in some cases) the quality of the output. There's also a Geometry tab to set the frame size. Compressor is a powerful and, therefore, somewhat involved app. If you search here and the Compression Techniques forum you'll find lots of information. Here's a link to a Wikipedia page about mpeg-4 The third paragraph has some good basic info.

John

MacPro 8-core 2.8GHz 8 GB RAM OS 10.5.8 QT7.6.4 Kona 3 Dual Cinema 23 ATI Radeon HD 3870, 24" TV-Logic Monitor, ATTO ExpressSAS R380 RAID Adapter, PDE enclosure with 8-drive 6TB RAID 5
FCS 3 (FCP 7.0.2, Motion 4.0.2, Comp 3.5.2, DVDSP 4.2.2, Color 1.5.2)

Pro Tools HD w SYNC IO & 192 Digital I/O, Yamaha DM1000, Millennia Media HV-3C, Neumann U87, Schoeps Mk41 mics, Genelec Monitors, PrimaLT ISDN

Return to posts index

Joe Louw
on Jun 13, 2010 at 6:44:50 pm

Hi John

Thank you for your response. You explain it like a teacher, it makes more sense now.
Just one more question? I know the very basics of Compressor, but the way I understand is that compressor are used to compress. eg prepare clips for web or youtube.
Now for the proxy upload I can understand that they want it compressed, but it makes sense to me for stock library sales they would like to have it in the best quality (uncompressed). Will this PhotoJPEG compressor not make the quality less for stock sales?

Thank you
Joe Louw
http://www.imveloart.com

Return to posts index

John Fishback
on Jun 14, 2010 at 1:19:37 am

You are right about Compressor sounding like that's what it does all the time. However, it can be used for up conversions and cross-conversions where you go from, say, 720 to 1080 or vice-versa. If the library wants the files in Photo JPEG, Compressor's the way to go. You see a lot of library material in PhotoJpeg. It's a high-quality, lossless codec and when the quality rate is 75% it has 422 color space. Over 75% I think the codec becomes RGB and makes very large files. Just use Compressor to turn your footage into whatever the library wants. Again, read up on Frame controls and use them whenever you change the frame size (scaling), the frame rate (re-timing) or interlace or deinterlace footage.

John

MacPro 8-core 2.8GHz 8 GB RAM OS 10.5.8 QT7.6.4 Kona 3 Dual Cinema 23 ATI Radeon HD 3870, 24" TV-Logic Monitor, ATTO ExpressSAS R380 RAID Adapter, PDE enclosure with 8-drive 6TB RAID 5
FCS 3 (FCP 7.0.2, Motion 4.0.2, Comp 3.5.2, DVDSP 4.2.2, Color 1.5.2)

Pro Tools HD w SYNC IO & 192 Digital I/O, Yamaha DM1000, Millennia Media HV-3C, Neumann U87, Schoeps Mk41 mics, Genelec Monitors, PrimaLT ISDN

Return to posts index

Joe Louw
on Jun 15, 2010 at 6:50:42 am

Hi John

Once again thank you for your reply.
I might have a couple more questions on this topic and I will ask them to you as soon as I get time to do these compressions. At this time I'm just a very busy with the Soccer World Cup in our country, I'm guiding and driving people around our country.
Just one question now regarding this text from the stock web site:
You must upload Quicktime MP4 .h264 files. It is recommended to upload files in as high a quality as possible.
Your application sample files should be in MP4 format. Compression should be set to "High" or "Best". HD 1080i 960x540 @ 25, 29.97 or 30 FPS

When they talk about upload a quicktime MP4 .h264 file, does that mean that the compressor used must be .h264 and the file format of the file (meaning file ext.) must it be a .mp4
If so why do they say quicktime movie if it must be a .mp4 - maybe that is where the confusion comes in: a "Quicktime MP4 file" Quicktime .mov / MP4 .mp4 file??????

Thank you
Joe Louw

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]