FORUMS: list search recent posts

Deinterlacing not working?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Thomas Morter-Laing
Deinterlacing not working?
on Jun 12, 2010 at 5:32:50 pm

Hello again all :D
I'm currently working ona project shot on a Sony Z1, which is to be shown on both LCD, plasma TVs and (most importantly) a huge projector screen- however this means it needs to be pulled down to standard def, the problem being the interlacing is made really obvious because of the loss of resolution when burning it onto a DVD. I have tried deinterlacing in FCP, as well as exporting with the "deinterlace" button ticked, but when burned onto a DVD (in toast) it still looks horrible and full of lines on any scene with movement.

As such my question is: how do I get rid of the lines!?

Return to posts index

cowcowcowcowcow
David Roth Weiss
Re: Deinterlacing not working?
on Jun 12, 2010 at 5:45:29 pm

Thomas,

You should not need to deinterlace HDV in order to make a DVD that displays without issue on the monitors you've listed.

Are you possibly down-converting to SD before encoding to MPEG2 in Compressor? If so, you should not be doing that. You should export a QT Movie at current settings and then use that file in Compressor to encode using one of the DVD presets.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

EPK Colorist - UP IN THE AIR - nominated for six academy awards

A forum host of Creative COW's Apple Final Cut Pro, Business & Marketing, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

Thomas Morter-Laing
on Jun 14, 2010 at 11:52:27 am

Arent projectors progressive though? Also I just tried not de-interlacing and converting using the compressor preset and it still looks horribly interlaced on my computer- I know computers are progressive scan but ive seen stuff look MUCH better than that, the lines are ridiculously obvious. What should I do?

:D
Tom Morter-Laing
Certified Apple Product Proffessional, 2010
Production Assistant, Grace Productions
Degree; TV Production

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Jun 14, 2010 at 1:57:38 pm

You simply can't judge interlaced video in the canvas in FCP on a computer screen. This is the primary reason AJA, Blackmagic, and Matrox I/O devices exist, and why you never see professionals at video facilities working without them and without true video monitors. However, you can burn a DV and play that back on a TV with a desktop player to get a pretty good idea of what you've got.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
Los Angeles

A forum host of Creative COW's Apple Final Cut Pro, Business & Marketing, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

Thomas Morter-Laing
on Jun 14, 2010 at 3:16:01 pm

That's cool cheers- I'm aware the canvas in inaccurate but i meant after I had put it through compressor, and before it WAS on a broadcast monitor :S Although still interlacing horribly- Ive put it through again though and it seems to be better now, but oddly the only difference is because the first time I burnt it with toast (for speed) rather than DVD studio pro- does DVD studio have some better encoding thing I'm unaware of? (Which it shouldn't because DVD mpeg is surely the same no matter where its from, also it was ALREADY converted to DVD MPEG by compressor so how on earth could that make a difference:S?

Anyway, thanks for the help so far :)

:D
Tom Morter-Laing
Certified Apple Product Proffessional, 2010
Production Assistant, Grace Productions
Degree; TV Production

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Jun 14, 2010 at 3:32:21 pm

There's a big difference between using Toast and using the combination of Compressor and DVDSP and you absolutely must learn to use them immediately. There are innumerable posts on the Cow that give you the lowdown on using these tools, but here's my shortcut just for you.

Here's the proper way to create a DVD using the tools in Final Cut Studio.

1) Export a self contained Quicktime file using Export>>Quicktime Movie using current settings. This makes a perfect copy of you timeline.

2) Import that file into Compressor, and choose the proper "Best Quality" DVD preset closest to your length video. (90-mins. in the shortest). Drag and drop the entire folder as this will add both a video and audio encoder preset and it will create a video .M2t file and and audio .ac3 file.

3. Open DVDSP, select the "graphical" tab and you will see two little monitors, one blue, one green.

4. Select the left blue one and hit delete.

5. Now, select the green one, right click on it amd select the top option "first play".

6. Now drag your .m2t and .ac3 files from the Finder and drop it on top of the green monitor.

7. Hit the little black and yellow burn icon at the top of the page and put a a DVD in when prompted. DVDSP will encode and burn your new DVD.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
Los Angeles

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]