FORUMS: list search recent posts

pro tools aiff export out of sync in FCP

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
vashi nedomansky
pro tools aiff export out of sync in FCP
on Jun 11, 2010 at 9:34:39 pm

Exported AIFF dialog track from FCP7. Edited in Pro Tools LE and Izotope RX stand alone. Exported AIFF from that and re-imported back into FCP. Everything was 48/16 on export, session and PT export.

The new AIFF file is the same length as original AIFF but there is sync drift after 30 seconds. Gets worse as I go along. The new AIFF waveform matches the old AIFF waveform but the sync is totally off. Especially weird since both AIFFs are the same length.

Searched every forum for solution but no luck yet. Any suggestions?
Thanks in advance.

Mac 2.6 dualcore Intel tower
OSX 10.5.6
4 gig ram
FCP 7
Pro Tools 8 LE

Return to posts index

Doug Beal
Re: pro tools aiff export out of sync in FCP
on Jun 11, 2010 at 10:19:27 pm

Normally we export OMF for protools and the protools box is locked word clock or video from 29.97 generator depending on the mix house

Doug Beal
Editor / Engineer
Rock Creative Images
Nashville TN

Return to posts index

vashi nedomansky
on Jun 11, 2010 at 10:58:56 pm

Thanks for the quick response.

I forgot to mention my FCP timeline is 23.98 (hpx170 and canon 5d). I exported AIFF 2 track as it was only for dialog cleaning and not deep enough for OMF. Would that affect it adversely? Otherwise I made sure the PT session was at 23.98 (not 24/film) and went to work.

So frustrating. I will try a OMF export but read somewhere it might be a FCP bug where it interprets the AIFF as NDF or something. Arg.

Return to posts index

John Fishback
on Jun 13, 2010 at 12:26:20 am

Try this advice from Jeremy Garchow, "First, delete the new mix out of FCP and your timeline. Set FCP up in a 23.98 easy setup, then quit FCP. Now reopen FCP and reimport your new mix." This has worked for others.

John

MacPro 8-core 2.8GHz 8 GB RAM OS 10.5.8 QT7.6.4 Kona 3 Dual Cinema 23 ATI Radeon HD 3870, 24" TV-Logic Monitor, ATTO ExpressSAS R380 RAID Adapter, PDE enclosure with 8-drive 6TB RAID 5
FCS 3 (FCP 7.0.2, Motion 4.0.2, Comp 3.5.2, DVDSP 4.2.2, Color 1.5.2)

Pro Tools HD w SYNC IO & 192 Digital I/O, Yamaha DM1000, Millennia Media HV-3C, Neumann U87, Schoeps Mk41 mics, Genelec Monitors, PrimaLT ISDN

Return to posts index

vashi nedomansky
on Jun 14, 2010 at 5:12:39 pm

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Easy Setup change, save and restart worked like a charm. Wow. Now I can sleep at night. Awesomeness!

Return to posts index

John Fishback
on Jun 14, 2010 at 6:39:50 pm

I'm glad it worked. I guess FCP need to be "reminded" about the audio setup parameters. As I mentioned, this was Jeremy Garchow's idea. I'm just passing it along.

John

MacPro 8-core 2.8GHz 8 GB RAM OS 10.5.8 QT7.6.4 Kona 3 Dual Cinema 23 ATI Radeon HD 3870, 24" TV-Logic Monitor, ATTO ExpressSAS R380 RAID Adapter, PDE enclosure with 8-drive 6TB RAID 5

Pro Tools HD w SYNC IO & 192 Digital I/O, Yamaha DM1000, Millennia Media HV-3C, Neumann U87, Schoeps Mk41 mics, Genelec Monitors, PrimaLT ISDN

Return to posts index

Pete Camden
on Jul 14, 2010 at 10:22:56 pm

Battling with this issue past two days in here:
http://forums.creativecow.net/readpost/8/1094543

and then I finally stumbled across this.

I owe Jeremy a case beer, so if you ever visit Sydney there's heaps of free drinks...
Happy times now. Thanks once again for the great knowledge you spread.

It's like what Lenin said... you look for the person who will benefit, and, uh, uh...

Return to posts index

Gates Bradley
on Aug 11, 2010 at 6:57:05 pm

Dang, I am having the same issue, but this solution did not work for me. I am cutting a feature length music doc and the film has to be ready in 2 days for a premier, and I can't figure this out. I didn't notice it until the last performance, which is roughly 20 minutes.

I am using a sequence based off of the Panasonic HVX 720p native settings: DVCPRO HD, 23.98 frame rate, 48khz audio. All of my audio is mixed by a sound engineer in ProTools and brought back in. It never changes sample rates, however- they stay the same.

Anyone have any other ideas? Or perhaps I am performing incorrectly this solution. I deleted the protools mix file from my timeline and project, did an easy setup as suggested, and then reimported. It not only did not work in my edit timeline, but I made a new timeline and it did not work there either. I'm at a total loss...

[Final Cut Pro 7.02; OSX 10.6.4; Macbook Pro 15"; 4gb RAM]

Return to posts index

John Fishback
on Aug 11, 2010 at 9:19:22 pm

This is a shot in the dark. If you don't already have it, download Wave AgentWave Agent from Sound Devices. It's free. Open the wav file from Pro Tools (duplicate it as a backup before doing this) and look at the interface. Check the sample rate and the frame rate. If they are 48000 and 23.97 (their notation for 23.976, I guess) then you might try changing the sample rate to speed up (greater than 48000) or slow down (less than 48000). Wave Agent has two sample rates in its drop down menu to either side of 48k. You didn't say whether the Pro Tools mix was ahead or behind. Choose the appropriate sample rate and Save. Then try that file in FCP. If, on the other hand there's no frame rate or it's not 23.97, change it to 23.97 and Save. Try that. I've never had to do what I'm describing, but that's what I'd try in this case.

John

Return to posts index

Gates Bradley
on Aug 12, 2010 at 12:10:52 am

John. A big word up to you. It worked! It's just one of those things where machines get confused with all of the bouncing around of metadata (or looking for it when there is none). One of the many pitfalls of the modern prosumer workflow. You completely saved my neck. Kudos to you sir.

I should add for others encountering this problem that for some reason, on the really long clip (18min) I had to change the sample rate in Wave Agent from 48k to 48.0048khz. I do not know why, but I did, so if the above solution doesn't work for you, if the sound is still a little ahead of the video, try this. (Or if it is a little behind try changing it to 47.9-something khz - you will see the option in wave agent).

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Aug 12, 2010 at 3:54:36 am

The sample rate pull up or pull down is basically adjusting the speed by .1% which is the difference between 24 and 23.976 . It might be that the ProTools output was done at 24 and needed to be slowed by .1%

You can always test that idea by setting the playback speed of the audio in FCP to 99.9% and see if it pops into sync. If it does then you can do the speed up or down in Compressor or Quicktime.

Return to posts index

Gates Bradley
on Aug 12, 2010 at 4:00:55 am

I didn't even realize Pro Tools assigned frame rates. Very good to know.

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Aug 12, 2010 at 6:59:46 am

[Gates Bradley] "I didn't even realize Pro Tools assigned frame rates. Very good to know."

It doesn't.If the ProTools session was running at the wrong speed (ie different frame rate to the original), the sync will drift. The final file length will change.

But aif audio doesn't have a frame rate, just a sample rate. A broadcast wav file however will have the project frame rate embedded in the metadata.

Return to posts index

Michael Sutz
on Sep 1, 2010 at 1:48:41 pm

I would just add one additional possible culprit in syncing issues and that's bad cards. I've been pulling my hair out for days trying to resolve a bad syncing issue (drifts in less than 30 seconds) and also fighting the occasional drop out/ glitch and finally determined that the Transcend 8GB SDHC class 6 card is causing the problems. I have four other Transcend 4GB cards and when I sync the audio from those cards (which I used towards the end of the project), there is no syncing problem. I think I'm going to take Marantz's tech support advice and use Lexar cards. Very frustrating.

Return to posts index

James Morrison
on Nov 29, 2010 at 4:07:27 am

I just spent two weeks struggling with this sync bug. I found this thread and followed the steps suggested by Jeremy Garchow (delete audio track, easy setup to 23.98, then re-import audio) however, after following the steps my FCP sequence was still out of sync.
I was running FCP version 6.0.5 and my operating system was 10.4.
I just updated FCP to version 7.0 and also updated to snow leopard and everything syncs up perfectly.

Return to posts index

mattie organ
on Nov 3, 2011 at 5:00:37 pm

I spent most of the day trying to sort this issue and then came across John solution which worked. Thanks a million

Return to posts index

George Nepia
on Oct 24, 2012 at 4:58:36 am

John Fishback YOU ARE THE MAN!

Cheers so much dude - from Wellington, NZ

Return to posts index

Soken Sai
on Jun 15, 2012 at 6:47:06 am

i love creativecow. i have been able to find all of my post-prod questions here.
i've been struggling with this problem for a couple days now. I even thought that my sound guy mixed up frame rates and all that stuff.
but turns out to be a bug in FCP.

thanks to John Fishback and Jeremy Garchow!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]