FORUMS: list search recent posts

Importing Batch Lists to Generate Subclips from Captured Tape Rushes

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matt Bacon
Importing Batch Lists to Generate Subclips from Captured Tape Rushes
on Jun 10, 2010 at 8:48:55 pm

Hello,

My goal is to generate a bin folder full of subclips by importing a batch list file into a bin containing one masterclip, which is a full tape capture (tape rush).

I am close. Using an exported Batch List as a template, I can add in points and out points to an entry in the batch list which has all the same attributes as the masterclip. Here is a quick example:

Batch List Exported from FCP bin
Name In Out Duration Reel Media Start Media End Tracks
RUSH - CAM A T7-a 00:43:38;27 LBHS CAM A T7 06:24:36;05 07:08:15;03 1V, 2A

Modified Batch List for Import to FCP
Name In Out Duration Reel Media Start Media End Tracks
Test Subclip 06:25:30;00 06:25:35;00 00:00:05;00 LBHS CAM A T7 06:24:36;05 07:08:15;03 1V, 2A

All i've done is change the clip name, place values in the "In" and "Out" columns, and adjust the duration column to match the added in and out. When I import the new batch list, a new offline masterclip is generated in the bin. I can then re-link this masterclip to the tape rush media file. FCP reports to me that the "Media Start and End" do not match the attributes of the original and wants me to try again, but FCP is wrong, so I click continue and the relink is successful!

With this process, I can get a bin full of masterclips which have the same media start and end as the original tape rush, but have in and out points set at the desired times. From these masterclips I can generate subclips (open each masterclip in the source window and Apple-U my brains out), but I want to skip that step.

How do I correctly mark an entry in a Batch File such that upon import of that batch file FCP recognizes the entries as subclips of an existing masterclip, not new masterclips?

I feel like it should be as easy as making an entry in the correct column heading when modifying the batch list file, but I can't find a column heading which mentions subclips.

Is there an import option for batch lists which tells FCP to use the batch list to generate subclips from existing masters (similar to a function in the often bashed and always under appreciated A*id)?

I've done a fairly thorough search for a solution to these (surprisingly uncommon) questions, but failing an answer, if someone can direct me to a thread which already solved and/or tackled this issue, I would be grateful.

Thanks for your time and energy,
Bacon

FCP 7.0, MacBook Pro, OS X 10.5.8, 2.53 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3, NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT 512 MB

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: Importing Batch Lists to Generate Subclips from Captured Tape Rushes
on Jun 11, 2010 at 2:28:39 pm

I don't think this is a job for batch lists, but perhpas XML.

Return to posts index

Matt Bacon
on Jun 15, 2010 at 9:13:44 pm

Hi Jeremy,

Thanks for your response.

Yes, apparently doing exactly what I want is a job for Batch Lists and XML tweaking.

I don't have the knowledge or the time to tackle cracking open an XML file. Oh, the things I could do if I had time to learn how to do them... i'd just have no time left to do them.

Anyways, for people looking in the future, the answer is a program called exceLogger for FCP.

http://assistedediting.com/exceLogger/

This software costs, but it will (ostensibly) parse a Batch List file with an XML export of the entire project and then let the user enter new data into a spreadsheet file, including subclip information, and finally turn out a modified XML and Batch List for re-import. I haven't tried it yet, and it sounds kinda... long-winded, but it's worth investigating if you want to log in a spreadsheet and your editor insists upon true subclips.

FCP 7.0, MacBook Pro, OS X 10.5.8, 2.53 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3, NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT 512 MB

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jun 15, 2010 at 10:08:42 pm

$70 is nothing if it helps you.

Better make sure it's compatible with FCP7 as there's been some XML changes and some of them not for the better.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]