FORUMS: list search recent posts

logging multiple cameras and audio sources

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Eric Hansen
logging multiple cameras and audio sources
on Jun 10, 2010 at 7:20:45 pm

i'm looking for suggestions on dealing with multi-cam shooting and double-system sound.

we shoot action sports documentaries. our current project is snowboarding, and follows 4 athletes to different locations. our main cameras for travel and interviews are 2 Varicam 3700s, 7Ds and the occasional small cameras like a GoPro Helmet cam or Flip-style cameras that the athletes carry. we also shoot other cameras for snowboarding action. but i'm mostly concerned with the reality-style portions of the production.

we also have a Sound Devices 788T and a few Zoom H4n's for audio. we use the 788T for interviews and nice ambience. and we use the H4n's mostly in tight and sketchy locations like helicopters and the like.

i've built Mulicam timelines in FCP with these cameras and synced up the audio sources with Pluraleyes.

my question is how should i deal with the audio in reference to the video clips? the editors don't really work in a linear fashion (meaning the story wont really be linear like a reality show). they won't be editing in mulitcam, they'll just be using the multicam timeline as a reference for the action being shot in realtime. but i don't want them setting IN and OUT points on the multicam sequence and then nesting those sequences into their edit in an effort to keep the audio and video sources synced. i was thinking about maybe reexporting all the video clips with the new synced audio tracks, but that seems really time consuming. especially over multiple clips from multiple cameras. ie, in one 2 hour span, i have about 100 clips between the 3 cameras and 10 clips from the 788T. that would be a lot of exporting. i don't think i want to export each camera as a single track (in this example, a single 2 hour clip) because then i lose the advantage of multiple clips. but then again, that might not be that important if we just subclip.

suggestions?

thanks

e

Eric Hansen - http://www.erichansen.tv

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]