FORUMS: list search recent posts

Shane Ross article on uprezzing using Compressor

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Scott Davis
Shane Ross article on uprezzing using Compressor
on Jun 10, 2010 at 6:53:38 pm

I had a link at one time to an article written by Shane Ross on using Compressor to uprezz SD files to HD. For the life of me I can't find it. Would anyone have a link to this? I remember he was using footage of a ship as a demo.

Scott Davis
View Scott Davis's profile on LinkedIn

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
Re: Shane Ross article on uprezzing using Compressor
on Jun 10, 2010 at 7:03:03 pm

Click on Shane's head above (lightly please, so as not to induce a headache) and you can easily find his tutorial/article on that subject.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

EPK Colorist - UP IN THE AIR - nominated for six academy awards

A forum host of Creative COW's Apple Final Cut Pro, Business & Marketing, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jun 10, 2010 at 7:38:01 pm

That tutorial was my first, and it isn't on the Cow. It can be found here:

http://pistolerapost2.com/shaneross/DV_to_DVCPRO_HD.mov

That shows how to go to DVCPRO HD, but you can make the final ProRes or whatever you need. Just not HDV..

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Scott Davis
Thanks
on Jun 10, 2010 at 8:02:06 pm

Thanks Shane, I am about to dive head first into doing a whole lot of this. I have a lot of archival material that are Qts that I need to get to 1080i. I am debating whether to use Compressor or lay out all my SD QTs in a sequence and put to Beta tape; then recapture using the Kona 3 to do the uprezz. If you had roughly 150 QT files to upconvert what would you do?

Scott Davis

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Thanks
on Jun 10, 2010 at 10:03:18 pm

Are the QTs in some regular format? Like Uncompressed 8 bit, or DV, or DV50? God, I think I would send them all to Compressor and spend a week crunching while I worked on other things.

Shane

Return to posts index

Scott Davis
on Jun 10, 2010 at 11:17:12 pm

I only wish!!! Literally without exagerating the Qts are every format I can think of. MJPEG, DV, ProRess, a Blackmagic codec, etc. etc.

Tell me if this is idiotic or genius. I have cut in all the "Master" QTs into the offline cut. The cut is now locked and I am moving onto the online. I was thinking of taking the offline cut, duplicating the sequence, deleting everything except the QT archival material, laying that out to Beta, and then re-capturing from that Beta the clips and use the Kona to do the uprezz.

Scott Davis

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jun 10, 2010 at 11:24:18 pm

THAT is pretty genius. That is what I did before the Kona upconverted. Strung out all my SD footage, output to digibeta, upconverted via Terranex, recaptured.

Good call.

Shane

Return to posts index

Neil Sadwelkar
Uprez with media manager
on Jun 11, 2010 at 12:44:20 pm

You could also remove all but the clips that needed uprezzing and then media manage the sequence using the batch recompress option setting a HD preset? That way you would also have handles, and preserve time code for future processing.

-----------------------------------
Neil Sadwelkar
neilsadwelkar.blogspot.com
twitter: fcpguru
FCP Editor, Edit systems consultant
Mumbai India

Return to posts index

Bill Finnegan
on Oct 10, 2011 at 2:17:28 pm

Hi Shane,

I've been digging around looking for your tutorial on uprezzing using Compressor -- the link I've found (http://pistolerapost2.com/shaneross/DVto_DVCPROHD.mov) seems to be dead. Any chance that is still out there somewhere? Or you have another post/tutorial that breaks this process down into steps?

I've got a basic iMac/Macbook Pro FCP 6 set-up, so hardware conversion isn't an option, and I want to make sure I've got Compressor configured properly before I get it cranking. I'm finishing up a low budget 60 min doc, with 90+% of the footage shot in HDV and some archival footage that is SD NTSC and PAL.

Thanks for your help,
Bill

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]