FORUMS: list search recent posts

Annoying issue when trimming clips

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jeffrey Stoner
Annoying issue when trimming clips
on Jun 10, 2010 at 1:35:37 pm

Hope I can explain this properly ...

I'll have a clip in the timeline, with an audio lead-in (meaning, of course, that the audio rolls for a few seconds before any desirable video appears).

I go to the timeline and decide to trim off that audio lead-in by using the razor blade. No problem so far.

When i go to delete that audio lead-in, it is always still linked to the video. I am puzzled why it would stay liked to the video; i would think that that "excess" audio would simply become unlinked. What I would prefer, and would be much easier, would be for the video to remain linked to the audio that is clearly right below it.

Am I crazy here? Is there a setting I've missed? LOL am I the only person that is driven crazy by this?

Thanks all !

Return to posts index

Doug Beal
Re: Annoying issue when trimming clips
on Jun 10, 2010 at 2:30:08 pm

Make sure the link button is deselected in the sequence window far right, upper beside snapping

Doug Beal
Editor / Engineer
Rock Creative Images
Nashville TN

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Jun 10, 2010 at 3:13:14 pm

It really has know way of knowing and evaluating your edit. While in this instance it would seem obvious that the second part of the audio remain linked, it might not in another instance. So FCP always keeps the first chunk of audio linked to the video. It wouldn't have seemed so silly if you were deleting a trailing chunk of audio. Anyway, just hold down option to select just the audio clip. Then relink the remaining audio and video if you need to. I wouldn't bother.

Return to posts index

Jeffrey Stoner
on Jun 10, 2010 at 3:20:12 pm

i understand that it wouldn't have any way of knowing what my preference would be, but in other systems i've used, it would keep the audio linked to the video if it were directly "above" it. since the piece i'm deleting has no corresponding video, i kinda' sorta' wish it would simply allow me to delete the lead-in.

LOL wishful thinking. thank you :)

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Jun 10, 2010 at 3:47:04 pm

The sooner you understand the better off you\'ll be, FCP is not automatic like your other NLE because it is more powerful. More control in the hands of the user equals more power, but of course that means you have learn more.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

EPK Colorist - UP IN THE AIR - nominated for six academy awards

A forum host of Creative COW's Apple Final Cut Pro, Business & Marketing, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

Jeffrey Stoner
on Jun 10, 2010 at 3:52:18 pm

thanks david. i do understand this. because it is more powerful and has more options, i was simply hoping that there was a preference i could change that would allow this.

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Jun 10, 2010 at 4:18:16 pm

Nope, not really, but you'll quickly get quite used to using the unlink button or the Command-L keyboard combo to toggle between linked and unlinked mode. It will become second nature and you'll realize that the option is quite a powerful tool.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
Los Angeles

A forum host of Creative COW's Apple Final Cut Pro, Business & Marketing, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jun 10, 2010 at 6:12:54 pm

Nevermind. I suck. Gosh.

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Jun 10, 2010 at 7:05:34 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] "Nevermind. I suck. Gosh."

You suck in response to what Jeremy? It's very unclear what stimulates your response to inhale.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
Los Angeles

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jun 10, 2010 at 7:13:24 pm

That was an edit. I gave the wrong advice, initially.

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Jun 10, 2010 at 7:19:34 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] "I gave the wrong advice, initially."

There is a first time for everything. I too once screwed something up, I think...

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
Los Angeles

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Jun 10, 2010 at 11:15:45 pm

What would be nice is a simple trim head/tail at cursor on selected track or tracks. This basic edit function has been on every high end audio DAW since last century. Fortunately for me I don't have to do much editing in FCP as I use it as an online tool but even when I do I tend to drag the head of tail of the audio to trim.

Blade> select> unlink> delete has got to be the most keystrokes any edit system has ever applied to trim a clip, so I am with you Jeffrey.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Jun 11, 2010 at 4:40:49 am

There are a lot better options than that! Me, I'd probably have my playhead at the edit point, because that's sorta naturally how one discovers where the edit point is. Then, I'd simply hold down option and drag the audio track to that spot, where it snaps to the playhead. So, basically one click (and a simultaneous mouse move). That doesn't seem very hard to me, and has been the way I've done it on the last 4 or 5 professional edit systems I've used.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Jun 11, 2010 at 4:42:43 am

Another longer but still simpler option. Option click the audio, which selects only the audio. Ctrl+V to split at that point only the track selected. No need to unlink, lock, or switch to blade tools.

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Jun 11, 2010 at 8:00:47 am

[Bret Williams] "Another longer but still simpler option."

Still four key strokes. Dragging head or tail with the mouse is the most elegant but still crude compared to audio systems. I wish all edit systems would look at the elegance that dedicated keyboards and decent software design has bought to audio DAWs.

There isn't a single video edit system that couldn't be greatly improved by looking at the edit methodology and keyboard control like the Fairlight Xynergi.

Return to posts index

Kris Merkel
on Jun 11, 2010 at 12:45:15 pm

It took more time to post how annoying it is to trim clips in FCP than it would have to actually trimmed them, now matter which method you use. FCP does a good job of allowing users multiple ways of performing task based upon your knowledge of the app and your comfortability factor with whatever method you choose to use. In the end you still wind up with the edit you need. I edit with FCP, AVID, Media 100 ect. and each suite has its own positives and negatives. But, I am paid to produce a final product on what ever system I am hired to work on so I learn how to drive each instead of complain that my corolla does not perform like my Jag.

I use "select/ctrl+v/del" and move on.

Return to posts index

Michael Aranyshev
on Jun 14, 2010 at 9:14:50 am

Dear colleagues, why don't you all spend a few minutes to master Auto Select instead of hating it so much?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]