FORUMS: list search recent posts

changing systems/updating fCP project files

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Joe Jennings
changing systems/updating fCP project files
on Jun 9, 2010 at 8:26:37 pm

Hello,
Just updated from macbook pro to mac pro 8 core system. I want to change everything that I was working on on the old system to the new system however I also have the new final cut studio on the new system but was using an older version of FCP (5.1?) on my old system.

Whats the best way to switch everything over?

I copied all of media that I was working on (which was on a external HD) over to new system in the new version of FCP into the corresponding FCP folders.

The new version of FCP recognizes the older version FCP project files, but does not recognize the path to the media. How can you change the path to be recognized exactly the same way?

I can get it to work when my external HD is plugged in. The external HD was where I set all paths to when creating the original project files using the older version of FCP.

Does anybody have any suggestions that might help?

thanks
joe

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: changing systems/updating fCP project files
on Jun 9, 2010 at 8:42:15 pm

Just reconnect. You moved the media, so when the window comes up that the media is offline, click RECONNECT, then search a single location, and point to the new drive the media is on. It'll find it.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Joe Jennings
on Jun 9, 2010 at 9:40:59 pm

Thanks Shane.
It seems to work. What about files in other locations? like logos stored on the desktop. I tried to just re-import the files into the project and it doesn't seems to work that way. It seems that I can only locate files in one directory at a time. Unless you can search more than one at a time or after I locate some, then go back and do others. After I reconnect some of the files and it opens the project, how can you go back to reconnect? Is it simply in the FCP menus?
thanks

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jun 9, 2010 at 10:25:44 pm

[Joe Jennings] "What about files in other locations? like logos stored on the desktop."

Don't do that. Don't EVER store footage on your desktop. You really need to keep things organized. Put ALL the media pertaining to your project in ONE main folder on your media drive. Imported audio, graphics, pictures...everything.

IN the mean time, highlight all the missing media, and ONLY the missing media, and then to another RECONNECT, and point FCP where to look. OR BETTER YET! Take this opportunity to get organized and put those files onto your media drive, in the folder with the other stuff, and reconnect there.

If you aren't properly organized, you can get yourself into a LOT of trouble. And you see why..

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Joe Jennings
on Jun 10, 2010 at 2:37:24 pm

Thanks again.
Took your advice. I knew I needed to get organized, just a matter of actually doing it.
I will probably eventually check out your dvd on the subject matter, but for now I just created a few more folders appropriate to the project in my documents.

Now, I seem to be having another issue. Dropped fames during playback, says need to try a list of things. Top of the list...turning off unlimited RT (mine is set to safe already, don't understand that), then it's changing my compression rate...which I am not quite sure how to do??? But all thats for a different post I realize.

Is there anything you can tell me about that, before I post the question again?
thanks

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]