FORUMS: list search recent posts

PSD blurry when added to timeline

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jeff Murchison
PSD blurry when added to timeline
on Jun 9, 2010 at 2:17:58 pm

Alright, I'm looking for a quick solution here.

I've got my timeline set up (an NTSC 720x486, animation codec @ 100%) and I'm adding PSD images into it.

First off, they import as sequences. Annoying, yes, but I'll deal with that, I'm sure it's by design. It's been forever since I actually worked like this in FCP.

Second, and this is my main issue, the PSDs look beautiful and crisp in the viewer. However, once I drag them to the timeline, the preview (and the rendered output) look blurry and like shit.

Ideas?

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: PSD blurry when added to timeline
on Jun 9, 2010 at 3:33:32 pm

Make sure that in the motion tab you are landing on a whole even pixel for the y-value (the number to the right of the comma for the center value).

It should read (for example) 204, not 203 or 204.67

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: PSD blurry when added to timeline
on Jun 9, 2010 at 4:09:56 pm

#1 - Animation for a sequence setting? That's a wrong thing to do. Animation is meant as a transport codec...because it is virtually lossless. It should not be used as a sequence codec, or an editing codec. Try DV50 or ProRes NTSC...or uncompressed 10-bit. Animation is a no no.

#2 - Quality difference between Viewer and Canvas

Shane's Stock Answer #49 - Why is the quality different between what I see in the Viewer and what I see in the Canvas?

Well... the viewer is just that-- a viewer. It will display anything that fcp will recognize as usable video or graphics. The canvas is a viewer too, but at the pixel dimension specified by the settings of your project and sequence.

For example, if your graphic or footage is much higher resolution than your 720x480 DV sequence, FCP is interpolating down your file to fit the settings of the sequence. Usually this makes it look not so hot. DV is a 5:1 compression working with a 4:1:1 color depth. Your pristine picture images and graphics are being crushed.

Same with picture files. HIgh res pics now adopt the sequence settings and will render to those specs, and most likely they are not as high quality.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]