FORUMS: list search recent posts

Need a good client monitor

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John Knapich
Need a good client monitor
on Jun 8, 2010 at 6:26:11 pm

I have a very good JVC DT-VR 20L Broadcast HD monitor for critical CC but I am looking for a larger flat screen (LCD? Plasma?) client monitor.
Obviously it does not have to be a broadcast CC monitor but still needs to have a really good image.
any suggestions for what works for you?
thanks

FCP 6.06, OS 10.5.8 2x3GHZ Quad-Core Intel Xeon, Kona LHe, Dulce Duo-eSATA 8 Drive, 4TB Raid.

John Knapich
Creative Director/Partner
Assembypix.tv

Return to posts index

Jerry Hofmann
Re: Need a good client monitor
on Jun 8, 2010 at 6:31:27 pm

I think Panasonic plasmas are a good bet. Best blacks for the dough.

Jerry

Apple Certified Trainer, Producer, Writer, Director Editor, Gun for Hire and other things. I ski.

8-Core 3.0 Intel Mac Pro, Dual 2 gig G5, AJA Kona SD, AJA Kona 2, Huge Systems Array UL3D, AJA Io HD, 17" MBP, Matrox MXO2 with MAX Cinema Displays

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
Re: Need a good client monitor
on Jun 8, 2010 at 7:18:35 pm

Just pray it doesn't break, because Panasonic's service bites. See the following thread if you want to read a tale of horror.

http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/8/1089227#1089785

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

EPK Colorist - UP IN THE AIR - nominated for six academy awards

A forum host of Creative COW's Apple Final Cut Pro, Business & Marketing, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

carlos corresa
jvc dtv24g1z
on Jun 17, 2010 at 5:22:51 pm

Hi David, looks like the link has been moved or delete. Actually, I'm seeking info about monitoring... I have a JVC DTV24L and it works really nice. I know is not 100% critical for high end colour correction but fair enough for the moment. And, thinking to buy the new JVC series, DT-V17G1Z, that is the same with a new hd-sdi dual connection that allows you to have a 10bit 4:4:4 signal... perfect for Kona 3.
In my opinion it is probably a big step of JVC as the only cheapest 10bit monitor is the HP LP2480ZX... We all know that next level is 10K for a 10bit 444 monitor, E-cinema, Cine-tal or SFI. So, what would you think about the new JVC DT-V17G1Z?? Could it be best option for low budget critical monitoring using HD-SDI dual conecction?? Anyone has tryed it??

Carlos Corresa
Senior Editor.Motion Graphics.Colorist

Mac G5. Caldigit HDone 4Tb. Kona3. JVC HDTV24L3U

Return to posts index

Jerry Hofmann
Re: jvc dtv24g1z
on Jun 17, 2010 at 6:23:47 pm

Only thing I don't like about it is that it's not 1080... Also have some experience with this line of pro monitors, and they look OK straight on only. They fall off badly and fast when viewing from an angle. Have not seen this particular monitor though.

Quite frankly though, we get a little nutty I think with Color corrections... unless you can also control the playback setup, you've really no control over what the viewer will actually see. All you can do is grade for a properly setup monitor, after that it's in (YIKES!!!!) the consumer's hands.

Jerry

Apple Certified Trainer, Producer, Writer, Director Editor, Gun for Hire and other things. I ski.

8-Core 3.0 Intel Mac Pro, Dual 2 gig G5, AJA Kona SD, AJA Kona 2, Huge Systems Array UL3D, AJA Io HD, 17" MBP, Matrox MXO2 with MAX Cinema Displays

Return to posts index

carlos corresa
on Jun 18, 2010 at 1:03:26 am

Why is not 1080? Also has additional res. for metadata and audio met. Yes, it is probably the worst monitor for angle view... if more than one people looking at it. My point is about new signal feature... From Kona 3 you can use two hd-sdi out connectors for a true 10bit 4:4:4 video signal. Before, I have to use a BM HD-link pro to convert it out to dvi or display port. But now, the DVT24G1Z has two hd-sdi inputs connectors that can be use as a dual link... looks like is the perfect match for Kona 3 to not to use converters anymore... The price of the monitor is exactly the same as the older version when it came out couple of years ago. What connection would you recommend for better results? HD-SDI dual link, DVI-dual link or Display Port? Anyone has idea?

Carlos Corresa
Senior Editor.Motion Graphics.Colorist

Mac G5. Caldigit HDone 4Tb. Kona3. JVC HDTV24L3U

Return to posts index

Jerry Hofmann
on Jun 18, 2010 at 1:23:07 pm

Why not 1080? because it costs a lot more for a 1080 panel, and it says it's not in it's specs...

You'll get a dual link out alright, but it will be scaled down by the set to 720. Hey, this is still better than no monitor at all I'd think.

Jerry

Return to posts index

Ernesto Sanchez
on Aug 26, 2010 at 10:02:58 pm

The DT-V24G1Z fixes the off-axis viewing issue earlier JVCs had by using an IPS LCD Panel. Also, this monitor is native 1920x1080.

Cheers,
Ernesto Sanchez

Cheers,
Ernesto Sanchez
Post-Production Workflow Consultant
XSAN Professional
O/C - 949.690.3680
ernesto.sanchez@mac.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]