FORUMS: list search recent posts

Creating a YouTube SEQUENCE

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nicholas Hauselman
Creating a YouTube SEQUENCE
on Jun 8, 2010 at 6:18:54 pm

I've been using the share feature for uploading directly from Final Cut to YouTube. It's easy, but slow as all hell. While it lets me continue editing while it encodes and uploads in the background - Final Cut gets really slow with rendering when I do this. SO:
I'd like to create a sequence whose settings match what YouTube wants, so I can simply do an Export>Quicktime Movie, and then upload from my browser. It's my experience that Final Cut is super fast with exporting Quicktime Movies, and I'd like the browser to handle the uploading so I can continue working without losing speed like I do now. Any help?
I've got a MacPro 2 x 3 quad core Inte Xeon with 8 GB of RAM, using Final Cut 7.0.2

Return to posts index

Zane Barker
Re: Creating a YouTube SEQUENCE
on Jun 8, 2010 at 6:32:08 pm

"I'd like to create a sequence whose settings match what YouTube wants"

You can't.

YouTube uses flash & h.264 nether of which are editing options in FCP.

Hindsight is always 1080p

Return to posts index

Nicholas Hauselman
on Jun 8, 2010 at 6:39:32 pm

Sorry - I wasn't clear.

Of course I need YouTube to encode it to flash for me.
Also - you certainly can create an H.264 sequence.

Now, I've gotten weird errors when I've uploaded my 720p quicktime movie directly to YouTube. So I'd like to know what sequence settings people use so you can export a quicktime movie (which should be really fast) and YouTube would be happy with so I can let my browser do all the uploading work and I can get back to editing without my system slowing to a crawl...

Return to posts index

Jerry Hofmann
on Jun 8, 2010 at 6:35:47 pm

It's not the uploading that is slowing down FCP.. it's the compression, and the video being accessed by the XML file that's sent at the same time FCP is needed for use...

If you export a qt movie (using current settings, self contained might be a bit less taxing in FCP, then open that in Compressor, or open it on another computer for compression, things will likely speed up. Then just upload the file to UTube through your browser. Then you'll be not accessing a sequence from FCP, and you'll have a stand alone app (compressor) running outside of FCP... this should open system resources for use with FCP.

Jerry

Apple Certified Trainer, Producer, Writer, Director Editor, Gun for Hire and other things. I ski.

8-Core 3.0 Intel Mac Pro, Dual 2 gig G5, AJA Kona SD, AJA Kona 2, Huge Systems Array UL3D, AJA Io HD, 17" MBP, Matrox MXO2 with MAX Cinema Displays

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Jun 8, 2010 at 6:53:54 pm

Yeap, that is the way to do it and the new Compressor has the send to YouTube built in also. Like Jerry said if you are using an export self contained file to encode there will be no slowdown in FCP. Of course you would not want to use the virtual cluster in Compressor.

Return to posts index

Nicholas Hauselman
on Jun 8, 2010 at 7:03:41 pm

Awesome - If I had spent ten more minutes thinking about it, I hope I would've figured to just use Compressor on its own...
How do I NOT use the virtual cluster in compressor?

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jun 8, 2010 at 7:18:01 pm

I recommend getting an Elgato Turbo. It has YouTube h264 settings and works licketty split, especially on laptops.

You export a movie form FCP, drop it in the elgato software and hit go. It is a little USB dongle that has an h264 accelerator on it.

Don't edit in h264, it will take forever.

http://www.elgato.com/elgato/int/mainmenu/products/Accessories/Turbo264HD/p...

I have one for my laptop and it's great. It can even plug in to Compressor if you want. For desktops, I just use my fast MacPro and a virtual cluster.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Nicholas Hauselman
on Jun 8, 2010 at 10:23:48 pm

I use the eyeTV HD to capture using their eyeTV software - are you saying I could use that to export to YouTube? I also have the eyeTV 250 Plus with Hardware encoder - but those two probably don't do any extra encoding work - right?
Thanks for the info...

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jun 8, 2010 at 11:53:03 pm

I haven't used the EyeTV, only the Elgato Turbo, so I can't really comment. Sorry.

Return to posts index

Zane Barker
on Jun 8, 2010 at 11:53:37 pm

"I use the eyeTV HD to capture using their eyeTV software"

That probably one reason things are going slow for you in FCP. Eyetv does not capture to any proper editing codec so it would require an additional conversion to a proper editing codec before doing any editing.

"are you saying I could use that to export to YouTube"

No the device that Jeremy is talking about is made by the same company but it is called the Turbo 264 HD.

Hindsight is always 1080p

Return to posts index

Chris Tompkins
on Jun 8, 2010 at 10:38:04 pm

Also, read up on what files work better for youtube on their website.
They tell you what files work best - compress to that.
We have presets in Compression Software Episode we name utube and drop it in. Quick and easy.

Chris Tompkins
Video Atlanta

Return to posts index

Jerry Hofmann
on Jun 8, 2010 at 11:46:04 pm

Even faster is the h.264 encoding done with the Matrox MAX technology, in their boxes and as a card you can add to a tower. It's about 400 bucks for the card, but if you do this a lot, it's well worth it... there's an article or two on it here at the COW too.

I used it with an MXO2 not long ago with great results. http://library.creativecow.net/articles/hofmann_jerry/matrox_mxo2.php

Jerry

Apple Certified Trainer, Producer, Writer, Director Editor, Gun for Hire and other things. I ski.

8-Core 3.0 Intel Mac Pro, Dual 2 gig G5, AJA Kona SD, AJA Kona 2, Huge Systems Array UL3D, AJA Io HD, 17" MBP, Matrox MXO2 with MAX Cinema Displays

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]