FORUMS: list search recent posts

white line FCP split screen

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
angus wyatt
white line FCP split screen
on Jun 8, 2010 at 4:45:45 pm

Hi,
Running FCP 7.02 on a 2x3GHz QuadCore Xeon w/ 4 Gb of RAM, timeline settings are HD 1440x1080 16:9 using AppleProRes 422 codec, viewing external video on a AppleCinemaDisplay via Matrox MXO 2.1.5.02.
Student project is a split screen timeline. Various effects used including flip, mirror, colour correction (essentially creating moving Rorsach images).
Problem is a white line appears at the joining point of the two clips that make the split screen. White line appears only after rendering and with QT export (whether the sequence is rendered or not). Without rendering sequence looks fine.
Any suggestions as to what may be causing this unwanted white line?
Thanks in advance for any help you can ofer.
A

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: white line FCP split screen
on Jun 8, 2010 at 5:04:09 pm

Is it the edge of a crop?

If so, this has happened for as long as I can remember and it sucks.

You can try and feather the edge in the crop parameter, or the best way is to build a travel matte to cut the images, but it's a lot more layers and work.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jun 8, 2010 at 5:15:08 pm

If you've got After Effects, you could simply use the Mirror effect to create the Rorshachs. Simple to use, and no annoying line. I bet Motion can do something similar, too.

You have to keep in mind that FCP is at heart an EDITING application, with mere delusions of doing effects and compositing. If it could do those jobs well, why would Apple include Motion in Final Cut Suite?

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jun 8, 2010 at 5:16:50 pm

[Dave LaRonde] "You have to keep in mind that FCP is at heart an EDITING application, with mere delusions of doing effects and compositing. "

I hear you, but a crop and a render without artifacting isn't possible? This isn't exactly the height of motion graphic technology.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jun 8, 2010 at 5:44:55 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] "This isn't exactly the height of motion graphic technology. "

True, but every editor has its strengths.

Some can play multiple layers of HD in real time, some don't have any problems with using a variety of codecs, some have great media managemnt tools, some easily can accommodate footage with different frame rates...

...and FCP can't do any of those things without disappointing results.

So FCP's inability to do decent crops and rotates is neither surprising nor frustrating to me.
You live with it, y'know?

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jun 8, 2010 at 5:55:18 pm

[Dave LaRonde] "You live with it, y'know? "

Oh, I know. i still don't think a split screen edit is that much to ask for.

Return to posts index

angus wyatt
on Jun 9, 2010 at 8:38:15 am

Thanks for the responses. I had suspected it was generated by the applicaton. Will attempt to move to AE or Motion.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]