FORUMS: list search recent posts

time-senistive sync EMERGENCY!

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Steven Austin
time-senistive sync EMERGENCY!
on Jun 8, 2010 at 6:13:23 am

CRUCIAL and ULTRA time-sensitive emergency here...

Tomorrow (6/8) at 7:30 pm the director of the feature I'm cutting is arriving for a look. Today something STRANGE happens when I open & use the FCP project file!!!!

I get the "media start & end" warning, and it's out of sync by a few frames! Yet on the timeline, my video & audio trax are in sync (i.e. no red + or - frame icons). My settings have remained the same since the project's inception. 35mm negative was telecined at 29.97 and reverse telecined to 23.98, standard NTSC for off-line cutting. Codec is DV/DVC Pro NTSC.

I am also using some actual video (just for temp establishing shots) which were ripped from DVDs at 29.97. (These were provided -- I have no access to the DVDs).

I've trashed prefs... reconnected all media, but nothing sets it straight. This does NOT occur on other FCP projects, yet all previous versions of this project are also out of sync.

Everything has been working out OK until the NIGHT BEFORE I have to screen my cut. If there's anything you can help with, please do so!

Many thanks!

Return to posts index

Michael Gossen
Re: time-senistive sync EMERGENCY!
on Jun 8, 2010 at 6:58:53 am

Do you have a back-up of the project file? What about a backup of the media? My first gut though is that it isn't something to do with the project, but with the media instead. Has it moved, changed, etc in Finder? Are you the only one accessing this media?

Michael Gossen
Helium Digital Media

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jun 8, 2010 at 12:33:42 pm

Why did you get a media start and end errror? What did you do to get it?

Return to posts index

Steven Austin
on Jun 8, 2010 at 3:25:50 pm

Wish I knee WHY I get media start/end error flag, I don't have a clue. It happens when I boot up the project. Prefs have been trashed, all media reconnected. I am the only one with access to the external drives, there are two.

NOW I noticed an additional problem.... some of the shots literally change into other shots at arbitrary times. Example, one unbroken, solid "block" of video on timeline appears to be accessing two different shots. I can reconnect these shots and the problem disappears, but this is an action movie and there are hundreds of shots to cull through!!!!

"In modern action films, the only people who work up a sweat are the editors." -- Roger Ebert

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jun 8, 2010 at 3:32:40 pm

[Steven Austin] "Wish I knee WHY I get media start/end error flag, I don't have a clue. It happens when I boot up the project. "

Can you please give the exact error?

Return to posts index

Steven Austin
on Jun 8, 2010 at 3:23:42 pm

I didn't back up this project file, though I do have earlier versions of it. It's set on save every ten minutes. NOW I noticed an additional problem.... some of the shots literally change into other shots at arbitrary times. Example, one unbroken, solid "block" of video on timeline appears to be accessing two different shots. I can reconnect these shots and the problem disappears, but this is an action movie and there are hundreds of shots to cull through!!!!

"In modern action films, the only people who work up a sweat are the editors." -- Roger Ebert

Return to posts index

B.J. Ahlen
on Jun 8, 2010 at 3:31:22 pm

Sounds like time to give this a try.

Return to posts index

Bouke Vahl
on Jun 8, 2010 at 4:00:38 pm

or this:
http://www.videotoolshed.com/product/41/fcpreconnect

I suspect you have ingested a lot of files with same filenames to different folders.
If so, FCP is reconnecting to the wrong files (as filenames are used twice...)

hth,

Bouke

http://www.videotoolshed.com/
smart tools for video pros

Return to posts index

Dean Goldsworthy
on Jun 8, 2010 at 4:57:59 pm

Since you are working on a feature I'm going to assume you have a rather long sequence or sequences. You may want to try:

1. Having ONLY one sequence open at a time.

2. Sub-divide that one sequence into smaller sequences. ie show the producer/director 10 minutes at a time.

3.Try saving the smaller sequences as their own projects to help cut down on the number of clips in it.

I have run into times when it seemed FCP just had trouble keeping up with lots of open clips.

Again since everything was stable and just now is showing trouble I would look to see how full your media drives are. If you are over 75% you may be having trouble.

Hope this helps.

Return to posts index

Steven Austin
on Jun 8, 2010 at 11:19:00 pm

Well, I had to perform a compete re-install bu that did the trick. Now I am only six hours behind & the director is set to arrive!!! :(

THanks, everyone.

Return to posts index

Tom Brooks
on Jun 9, 2010 at 1:51:55 am

Disk Warrior is always a good bet, too. Quick and easy. Worth a try before more drastic measures, but usually a media drive will show signs of major file system corruption rather than mysterious things like you described.

Return to posts index

Steven Austin
on Jun 9, 2010 at 4:25:53 pm

Though my problem seems to be fixed at the moment, I'll follow up by saying this.

When I open up early versions of the project I still get the "media start and end" mismatch warning. It seems that every former version will have to be reconnected.

The duo of external 2 TB media drives have about 100 gigs available each. No shortage there.

It's impossible to show the producer segments of ten minute sequences, in that they [rightly] expect to sit down and watch the cut uninterrupted as it would play in the theater.

Soundtrack Pro has stopped working after I reinstalled FCP, even though I did not delete it. I just deleted the main program with the freeware uninstaller.

I will buy Disk Warrior. Peer pressure! ;)

I think I will media manage all the footage to a fresh drive and not have to deal with redundant folders of raw ftg. (Currently both drives have same footage, plus different B roll.)

Thanks again, folks.

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Jun 9, 2010 at 5:16:18 pm

[Steven Austin] "I will buy Disk Warrior. Peer pressure! ;) "

Instead, consider it a survival measure, akin to toting a canteen of water along for a trip across the Sahara.

If peer pressure is the only reason you'd bring water along for your trip in desert, I hope you value your peers highly.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

EPK Colorist - UP IN THE AIR - nominated for six academy awards

A forum host of Creative COW's Apple Final Cut Pro, Business & Marketing, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jun 9, 2010 at 5:17:15 pm

DiskWarrior is not going to save you in this situation.

Better organization will. Bouke's got it.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Steven Austin
on Jun 10, 2010 at 7:01:05 pm

Hi, can you qualify what constitutes better organization?

I have a feature's worth of neg telecined to NTSC SD 23.98 - for offline.

All files were copied to a redundant drive. Both drives have a bit of different footage not shot by production, i.e. just temp. establishing shots & tiffs.

Previously on this system, I cut two features (both in HD) without trouble.

Dual-Core Intel Xeon
Processor Speed: 2.66 GHz
Number Of Processors: 2
Total Number Of Cores: 4
L2 Cache (per processor): 4 MB
Memory: 5 GB
Bus Speed: 1.33 GHz
Standard factory video card

BTW, if I want to add a 2:35 matte for the director, should I nest the whole movie and apply it to that?

P.S. I use Disk Warrior, it didn't appear to help... but my directories experienced a nice colonoscopy. ;)

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jun 10, 2010 at 7:03:51 pm

[Steven Austin] "Hi, can you qualify what constitutes better organization? "

Consolidating to one drive and don't have duplicates. It's awesome that you have a back up, but it should stay separate form your main editing drive.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Bouke Vahl
on Jun 11, 2010 at 3:51:53 pm

to top that,
NEVER EVER have two files with the same name in different folders.
Although it 'should' be possible, it 'could' go wrong.

FCP links based on filename and location. After that it links on TC / Reel.
If no matching TC is found, it links relative to the start, expecting things to match.

Now am i right you have the same filenames in different folders?

Bouke

http://www.videotoolshed.com/
smart tools for video pros

Return to posts index

John Fishback
on Jun 9, 2010 at 5:16:38 pm

Disk Warrior has saved my butt any number of times. And, 100GB free on a 2TB drive is not enough free space. Drive performance starts to degrade as soon as you approach half-full. While I don't think this would lead to your connect issues, it can affect playback quality.

John

MacPro 8-core 2.8GHz 8 GB RAM OS 10.5.8 QT7.6.4 Kona 3 Dual Cinema 23 ATI Radeon HD 3870, 24" TV-Logic Monitor, ATTO ExpressSAS R380 RAID Adapter, PDE enclosure with 8-drive 6TB RAID 5
FCS 3 (FCP 7.0.2, Motion 4.0.2, Comp 3.5.2, DVDSP 4.2.2, Color 1.5.2)

Pro Tools HD w SYNC IO & 192 Digital I/O, Yamaha DM1000, Millennia Media HV-3C, Neumann U87, Schoeps Mk41 mics, Genelec Monitors, PrimaLT ISDN

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]