FORUMS: list search recent posts

What rates should I charge for iphone editing?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Don Walker
What rates should I charge for iphone editing?
on Jun 7, 2010 at 8:13:45 pm

Not wanting to be left behind, I have decided to be a trend setter, and will sell my Octocore and edit on my new iphone 4 when it comes in. It will of course be set up with imovie for iphone. I'm wondering if anybody has any recommendations for external storage? Should I wait on an esata interface or just stick with USB. I will be using ipads for client monitors.... Oh and one more thing....... what should I charge clients per hour in my iphone suite?
Don Walker

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
Re: What rates should I charge for iphone editing?
on Jun 7, 2010 at 8:25:22 pm

I think I'm going to do weddings with 6 iPhones, email the different angles to the main iPhone editor, the catch, before the bride and groom drive off, their wedding will be up on YouTube.

$199/wedding.

Return to posts index

John Pale
on Jun 7, 2010 at 8:35:46 pm

Where can I get an adapter to attach my tri-level sync generator to the dock connector?

Help me find it now, or face the wrath of Zelin.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jun 7, 2010 at 8:40:00 pm

How can I down-convert out of my iPhone? Do I need a Kona iOS4?

Return to posts index

Zane Barker
on Jun 7, 2010 at 8:43:58 pm

I hope kona makes a dock attachment for the ki pro.

Hindsight is always 1080p

Return to posts index

Mark Spano
on Jun 7, 2010 at 8:50:56 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] "How can I down-convert out of my iPhone? Do I need a Kona iOS4?"

Dude - it already does a downconvert to the main LCD. Pssh.

There will be a Kona Capture Support Kit with dock connector that outputs HD-SDI over micro USB...

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jun 7, 2010 at 8:57:22 pm

[Mark Spano] "There will be a Kona Capture Support Kit with dock connector that outputs HD-SDI over micro USB...
"

Does that come in a dual link option?

How do I edit my R3D movies on iMovie iOS4?

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Jun 7, 2010 at 9:51:46 pm

What about fast pocket RAID drives. We will need speed to edit all this uncompressed 4:4:4 H.264 video. Then there is the audio in things again. I bet all those guys that jumped on the HDSLR bandwagon feel pretty stupid right about now. I think this has a full IMAX 70mm sensor in it.

Return to posts index

John Pale
on Jun 8, 2010 at 1:10:00 am

[Michael Sacci] "What about fast pocket RAID drives. "

No pocket RAIDS. All the storage is in the Mobile Me cloud.

Of course, to increase speed, they are using multiple clouds...basically a hurricane.

Return to posts index

Zane Barker
on Jun 7, 2010 at 8:42:12 pm

No need to emIl from each phone, i plan on hacking into any phone from my ipad and hyjacking the video feed from all the guests using their phones and do a live multi cam edit. Why pay 6 people to shoot when you'll probably have that many people in attendance taking video on there phones already.

Hindsight is always 1080p

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Jun 7, 2010 at 9:25:32 pm

[Zane Barker] "Why pay 6 people to shoot "

Pay? I got people lined up to do it for free, I just tell them the next one is for real $$$.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Jun 7, 2010 at 10:05:37 pm

It's not the iphone; it's the new ipad mini, Jobs just debuted it today..

Return to posts index

Jon Schilling
on Jun 7, 2010 at 10:24:30 pm

Yes, I know, off-topic...but interesting.

http://www.apple.com/iphone/features/hd-video-recording.html I trust everyone's seen this already? $4.99 app "soon to come"...for iPhone 4

Jon Schilling | VP of Sales & Marketing
RAIDON-USA Technology
STARDOM Storage
15356 East Valley Blvd., Suite B
City of Industry, CA 91746
Tel: 323-803-8884
Fax: 323-372-3758
http://www.raidon-usa.com/stardom/home.html

Return to posts index

Scott Sheriff
on Jun 7, 2010 at 10:32:16 pm

"...and will sell my Octocore,..."

Sell your octocore?
Now that the iphone 4 is out, your octo is worthless. You might as well donate it, or it will just end up in the 'sand crawler robot pile'.
No editor in his right mind would buy it, because real editors will be using iphone.

As far as how much per hour you should charge, that is hard to say, since you didn't mention if you were imovie/iphone certified or not.

Having that certif, makes you an editor, and really ups your rate...duh

Scott Sheriff
Director
SST Digital Media
http://www.sstdigitalmedia.com

Return to posts index

Don Walker
on Jun 7, 2010 at 10:50:32 pm

The funny thing is, that the producer I am editing with right now owns his own still photography business. His comments to the threads comments: You might be laughing now, but wait a couple years.

John 3:16

Return to posts index

Scott Sheriff
on Jun 7, 2010 at 11:55:19 pm

"The funny thing is, that the producer I am editing with right now owns his own still photography business. His comments to the threads comments: You might be laughing now, but wait a couple years.
"

Interesting example.
Everyone in America owns a camera. Some even own pro level cameras. It doesn't make them professional photographers, and it hasn't (completely) killed the pro foto biz.

There are a lot of people that own video cameras, and editing software. Some even own pro level gear. It doesn't make them DP's, Directors, or Editors.

There is no substitute for experience and skill, which you can't buy at iphone prices. So imovie/iphone/WMM and hacks that use them are a good match, they don't have the skills to take advantage of a real edit suite. They just need a 'guitar hero' toy to play with.
Lance and I can trade bikes, but I still won't win the TDF.
In a couple of years, some of these 'johnny come lately' types will have just that, a couple of years experience. While some of us will have a couple more to add to the decades we already have. And sure the consumer toy will have more bells and whistles. While there have been people that have cranked out 'real' projects on toys, like the PXL-2000, but this is an anomaly. To do a serious amount of work, you are going to need serious gear, and skills.
If a client thinks some low-hour pilot, with a consumer toy is the way to go, yes, I will be laughing.

We already see a version of that here all the time, and it often looks something like this:
"I have a series of ___ shows that I agreed to do. They are multi-cam and were shot on RED. I have to deliver a the project tomorrow, but my 13" MB is taking forever to render the project, even though I have a really fast system dive, that is only 89% full. HELP!"

So, in a couple of years we will see a bunch of threads like this with iphone substituted for the MB

Scott Sheriff
Director
SST Digital Media
http://www.sstdigitalmedia.com

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Jun 8, 2010 at 12:38:53 am

I know we are all nervously laughing, but seriously what codec is the new iphone using to edit HD? I bet they have made imovie edit H264 native as they surely wouldn't use AIC on a device with 32 gigs of storage.

If so can we finally expect native editing in a whole range of codecs (or at the very least H264), to be part of a new FCS?

Return to posts index

Christopher Walker
on Jun 8, 2010 at 8:24:45 am

Oh, dad. What a hilarious can of worms you've opened.

On a side note, could you and I be the first father-son duo to ever be COWites?

Return to posts index

Paul Dickin
on Jun 8, 2010 at 11:52:40 am

[Michael Gissing] "what codec is the new iphone using to edit HD?"
Hi
Presumably iFrame (or a new derivative), which Apple announced over a year ago.
http://support.apple.com/kb/ht3905

Return to posts index

Jon Schilling
on Jun 8, 2010 at 5:19:50 pm

Per my post yesterday, iMovie, is the editing software, no mention of the codec. I'd imagine H.264 would make the most sense.

http://www.apple.com/iphone/features/hd-video-recording.html

"Turn your video clips into a finished movie. With iMovie on iPhone 4.

You’re on vacation, and you want to create a video postcard of everything you did that day and share it with your family. Just use the iMovie app — coming soon to the App Store for just $4.99. Built just for iPhone 4, iMovie lets you combine and edit video clips, polish your movies with dynamic themes and transitions, add music and photos, and share your finished movies with the world.

Jon Schilling | VP of Sales & Marketing
RAIDON-USA Technology
STARDOM Storage
15356 East Valley Blvd., Suite B
City of Industry, CA 91746
Tel: 323-803-8884
Fax: 323-372-3758
http://www.raidon-usa.com

Return to posts index

Erik Lindahl
on Jun 9, 2010 at 9:09:58 am

It's a bit sad or ironic one of the main guys behind Final Cut Pro ends up doing a crippled iMovie and now does and even more crippled iMovie for iPhone. But it wouldn't surprice me if this brings Apple some nice $$$ in the pocket.

The last two years have been focus on iOS clearly. I wonder how Apple's focus on their pro desktop market is.

------------------------
Erik Lindahl
Freecloud Post Production Services
http://www.freecloud.se

Return to posts index

Paul Dickin
on Jun 9, 2010 at 10:46:53 am

[Erik Lindahl] " wonder how Apple's focus on their pro desktop market is. "
Hi
Steve Jobs clarified that very nicely last week in the D8 interview - he said "it's uncomfortable":

...the day is coming when only one out of every few people will need a traditional computer.
When we were an agrarian nation, all cars were trucks because that's what you needed on the farms. Cars became more popular as cities rose, and things like power steering and automatic transmission became popular.

PCs are going to be like trucks, they are still going to be around. However, only one out of x people will need them. ...advances in chips and software will allow tablet devices like the iPad to do tasks that today are really only suited for a traditional computer, things like video editing and graphic arts work.

The move will make many PC veterans uneasy, because the PC has taken us a long ways.
We like to talk about the post-PC era, but when it really starts to happen, it's uncomfortable...

So, no comfort there :-(

Return to posts index

Erik Lindahl
on Jun 9, 2010 at 10:50:33 am

He's very true in that I think given that might be 10 years away. And yes, Apple is an awesome gadget company (perhaps even better than a "pro app / desktop computer" company). But Final Cut is for us truckdrivers and Apple seems to have more and more neglected these for.. gadgets. Cool gadgets but still, gadgets and gimicks.

------------------------
Erik Lindahl

Return to posts index

Neil Hurwitz
on Jun 9, 2010 at 1:33:41 pm

Steve Jobs is a sell-out
In 1984 he was all about Kicking Big Brothers Butt
Now he is morphing into Big Brother and is all about
harvesting the revenues streams and personal information
that will come from when we the have no choice but to
buy his gadgets, pay the subscription charges for wireless and
use on-line programs (by subscription) that will only be available
thru this new model. The goal being that every thing you do, can
be data-mined so they can bombard you with targeted advertising.
I am disappointed. You think there is any correlation to
the new Iphone and the dumping of the unlimited Data Plan by ATT&T?
Sorry to say but I think FCP has maybe one more update and then it's
gonna be on the chopping block. Adobe would make the best sense to me. As far as the computers go I think we can expect a real slowing down of development and a longer product cycle. It makes sense to me
for Apple to wait until there are Big jumps in performance to update.
I would be surprised if the new MAC PROS, whenever they come out,
didn't have 10gig ethernet,USB 3, and maybe an external SATA 3
connector. Soon between Google, Facebook, Twitter, Apple, ATT&T
Yahoo, U-Tube, Supermarket Discount card, everything you do and purchase will be somebody eleses DATA and they will have a better understanding about you than you have about yourself.
If you think for a minute that if you are a big user
of I-tunes or You-Tube that you aren't being profiled, Boy do
I have a bridge I'd like to sell you.

Neil Hurwitz

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Jun 9, 2010 at 1:34:44 pm

[Erik Lindahl] "He's very true in that I think given that might be 10 years away. And yes, Apple is an awesome gadget company (perhaps even better than a "pro app / desktop computer" company). But Final Cut is for us truckdrivers and Apple seems to have more and more neglected these for.. gadgets. Cool gadgets but still, gadgets and gimicks."

Of course what this really means is we can expect the price of our desktop computers to steadily go up since there will be fewer of us that require them.

In our new shop we're going to use a fleet of iMacs since they can do the majority of the editing work we require and they will be complemented by some Mac Pros running AJA Kona 3s. You don't absolutely need Mac Pros to cut episodic television and documentaries anymore. We're showing that every day here on 2 and 3 year old iMacs along with our Core Du0 27" iMac. Heck I'm creating some complex After Effects motion graphics on the 27" iMac and it's screaming through the renders. iMacs cost less and they pretty much do the same job. It's a no brainer. Except for the ethernet stupidity that I hope Apple will soon correct on the 27" i5 and i7 models, they're rockin for video editing.

I'm expecting that the Mac Desktop will soon be like the old Silicon Graphics machines. Very expensive because they will be made by the hundreds and not the hundreds of thousands.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Editor, Colorist, Director, Writer, Consultant, Author, Chef.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

"Foul Water, Fiery Serpent" featuring Sigourney Weaver coming soon.

Blog Twitter Facebook

Return to posts index

Paul Dickin
on Jun 9, 2010 at 2:01:06 pm

[walter biscardi] "Except for the ethernet stupidity that I hope Apple will soon correct on the 27" i5 and i7 models"
Hi
That's sort of the benchmark for Apple's commitment...
Do they spec up their new lower-level kit so the truck drivers can continue?
Or did they know about the limitation when they did the design and not care?

And since the 2009 Mac Pro continues in production (seemingly indefinitely) have they sorted that ethernet problem?
Have they replaced the old Intel e'net chip with a better functioning replacement?
Or did they just buy up all of Intel's old stock when it was EOL'd so they can keep shipping them 'as they were'?

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Jun 9, 2010 at 3:48:42 pm

[Paul Dickin] "And since the 2009 Mac Pro continues in production (seemingly indefinitely) have they sorted that ethernet problem?"

There is no issue on the Mac Pro. It's on the i5 and i7 27" iMac machines. To my knowledge they have not replaced the Ethernet controller that comes standard on the i5 and i7 iMacs. It's not an Intel product, it's a Broadcom product which I have discussed at length in my blog here on the Cow.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Editor, Colorist, Director, Writer, Consultant, Author, Chef.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

"Foul Water, Fiery Serpent" featuring Sigourney Weaver coming soon.

Blog Twitter Facebook

Return to posts index

Paul Dickin
on Jun 9, 2010 at 4:12:23 pm

[walter biscardi] "There is no issue on the Mac Pro."
Hi
Glad to hear it was a false alarm (or software):
http://blogs.creativecow.net/blog/1014/apple-mac-pro-octo-293-a-lemon
[walter biscardi] "As I've noted on this blog recently, there is a bad issue with the Intel Hartwell chip that runs the ethernet ports that causes the Mac Pro to disconnect from our ethernet SAN multiple times per day."

Return to posts index

Erik Lindahl
on Jun 9, 2010 at 2:40:11 pm

That doesn't quite add up. Just cause you can do something on machine A doesn't mean it's the best machine for the jobb. MacPro's are "over the top" for a lot of situations where an iMac is too limited often (and some of Apple's hardware choices are just.. meh). An iPhone is awesome for somethings but when talking about editing video..

Apple's computers are based on "standard PC components" and thus should be able to keep up with the wintel side. They sort of do but some hardware choices are just plain odd. And if I'm aready today feeling my 8-core MacPro is slow I don't think things would get better on an iMac (or iPhone :-)).

Apple imo needs a "Mac". An iMac with out the screen and not all the bells and whistles of a MacPro but that has moderate upgradeability. Just look at your irritation of the choice of ethernet hardware. And I don't see an iPad replacing your iMac any time soon given in the future for some tasks yes, we'll probably see more a diverse range of devices.

------------------------
Erik Lindahl

Return to posts index

Mark Petereit
on Jun 10, 2010 at 10:09:04 pm

Where's the "This thread should move to Beaten Dead Horses Forum" link?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]