FORUMS: list search recent posts

Anamorphic issue

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Paul Hartel
Anamorphic issue
on Jun 7, 2010 at 7:36:26 pm

Gentlemen,

This is the issue: Present project is (mostly) P2 card media. Footage was shot DVCPRO HD 720p60, 960x720. I've loads of quicktimes for this.

Shooter also recorded one take to tape, and after capturing (somewhere else, don't have a clue) exported out a quicktime at 720x480 - BUT,
must have checked an anamorphic setting because the video is squeezed and barred top and bottom.

Now, I can reexport and change the dimensions to correct the distortion, but I'm still left with the bars.

Also, is that the best way to correct for this, or am I better off just importing into my project and "distorting the aspect ratio" and resizing to get the clip to match the others in the project?

I don't have time to have the shooter fix it at his end.

Thanks,

Ph

2 x 2.66 Dual MacPro, 7GBRam, 4T, FCP 6.02, MacOS 10.5.8

Return to posts index

John Fishback
Re: Anamorphic issue
on Jun 7, 2010 at 8:42:13 pm

Using distort (and possibly scaling) is probably the easiest way. Of course, this clip is probably SD and may not match your other HD clips. You might try doing the distort in Compressor and turn on Frame Controls and use the highest-quality setting for re-sizing. Compressor will do a better job of scaling than FCP. If the frame rates and/or codecs are different, then change that, too, in Compressor. For changing frame rates choose the highest-quality (in Frame Controls) for rate conversion.

John

MacPro 8-core 2.8GHz 8 GB RAM OS 10.5.8 QT7.6.4 Kona 3 Dual Cinema 23 ATI Radeon HD 3870, 24" TV-Logic Monitor, ATTO ExpressSAS R380 RAID Adapter, PDE enclosure with 8-drive 6TB RAID 5
FCS 3 (FCP 7.0.2, Motion 4.0.2, Comp 3.5.2, DVDSP 4.2.2, Color 1.5.2)

Pro Tools HD w SYNC IO & 192 Digital I/O, Yamaha DM1000, Millennia Media HV-3C, Neumann U87, Schoeps Mk41 mics, Genelec Monitors, PrimaLT ISDN

Return to posts index

Paul Hartel
on Jun 7, 2010 at 8:48:05 pm

Thanks, John.
I'll give Compressor a try, too.

Paul

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Jun 7, 2010 at 8:49:33 pm

Sounds like it was shoot Letterboxed and not 16:9, though squeezed and barred is odd, do you mean stretched and barred? NOt much you can do about that, was not a capture setting.

This is a major zoom to go up to HD, I would do it in Compressor and use Frame Control set to Best (optical flow) and do test with the

Start with the preset Other Workflows>High Definition>DVCPRO HD 720p60
Frame Control - On
Resize Filter: Best
Outout Fields: Progressive
The rest you have to test to see what gives you the best image

*** Geometry Tab***
Source Inset (Cropping)
Crop to: 16x9 1.78:1

Make sure Dimensions are 960x720 Custom (16:9)
Pixel AspectL DVCPRO HD...

Good luck, this is probably not going to look pretty.

Return to posts index

Paul Hartel
on Jun 7, 2010 at 9:40:32 pm

Yes Michael,

I probably do mean stretched and barred - I was thinking squeezed top to bottom, not side to side - an important semantical distinction.

Thanks for the setting info. Soon to give it a try.

Paul

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]