FORUMS: list search recent posts

Cannot Capture with Canon HX A1 to FCP 5.1 in HDV??

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matt Guinan
Cannot Capture with Canon HX A1 to FCP 5.1 in HDV??
on Jun 7, 2010 at 3:06:16 pm

I am shooting with a Canon XH A1 in HDV 1080 60i(Native Format)

I am trying to capture to my macbook pro with FCP 5.1 - I have gone into easy set-up, I have adjusted the settings for audio/video and still am unable to get the camera and FCP to make communication.

I have shut-down both the camera and FCP, unplugged firewire, reconnected, etc....

I am in a bind and have a shoot tomorrow that I need to turnaround quickly. I have been succesful in capturing in DV with my set-up.

Any ideas?

My capture presets on FCP are as follows:

Sequence Preset:
HDV-1080i60

Capture Preset:
HDV

Device Control:
HDV Firewire (I am using a 4 pin from back of camera to 800 port on my MAC - Do I need a special HDV firewire???)

Let me know if there's anyone out there with some advice??

Thanks in advance,
Matt

Return to posts index

Matt Guinan
Re: Cannot Capture with Canon HX A1 to FCP 5.1 in HDV??
on Jun 7, 2010 at 4:31:55 pm

Now I can control the device through FCP, but when I try "log and capture" I am getting a dialog box saying capture aborted, waiting for receive data from device"

Any ideas?

Return to posts index

Christopher McDonell
on Jun 7, 2010 at 6:29:02 pm

Hmm. I'm on FCP 6.0.6, and use the 1080 30p preset. But... I am also the proud owner of a Canon XH-A1 and have been capturing just fine. Like you've probably determined, the camera needs to be plugged in to the computer via firewire before opening Final Cut. Otherwise, it won't read. If you're doing the "Capture Now", I've found that you have to play camera first, wait a beat, then hit the button. This will give FCP time to read the incoming data and should capture everything from the first frame onward. If you've been hitting the Capture Now button first, then playing camera, then surely this is your problem.

Does that help?

Chris

Return to posts index

Matt Guinan
on Jun 7, 2010 at 7:00:55 pm

Thanks for the response Chris. It still does not work. It plays on the camera, there is communication between my computer and the camera, but a box says "No Data from Device" - 'Capture was aborted due to lack on incoming data. Check your connection and the deck is playing'

The deck is playing, but there is no video on my capture screen of my computer.

??Driving me nuts, not sure if FCP v5.1 supports this?

Return to posts index

Christopher McDonell
on Jun 7, 2010 at 10:04:15 pm

Hi Matt:

Is your device control set to HDV 1080 60i Firewire Basic, as opposed to just 1080 60i? Wherever there is a "firewire basic" option, I think you have to select that one.

When you say there is communication btwn the camera and computer, what do you mean? Does the panel read "VTR OK", or "NO COMMUNICATION"? Should obviously be the first. Otherwise, there's no communication. I'm just saying this in case you mean your computer reads the camera, as indicated in About Mac/More Info.

I know you need FCP vs 6 for HDV 30p. I think if vs 5 has the codec you want (i.e. HDV 1080 60i), then you should be fine.

Don't know what else to say. Problem fixed yet?

Chris

Return to posts index

Matt Guinan
on Jun 8, 2010 at 12:38:29 pm

Yes it's set to Firewire basic, and reads VTR ok. Very strange, for the time I am capturing in Imovie or Quicktime Pro. Thanks again for the advice, I'll keep working on it until I upgrade.

Cheers
Matt

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]