FORUMS: list search recent posts

P2 import/export problems

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Adam Baldowski
P2 import/export problems
on Jun 4, 2010 at 6:52:55 pm

I just finished shooting a project on a Panasonic HVX170 and imported the P2 card onto my computer. When I use the log and transfer in FCP 7 everything looks fine. When I go to export the project out to post on the web, youtube for example, the first half of the footage is fine while the second half the audio is out of sync with the video and the footage is pixalated. This does not occur in the sequence while in FCP.

When I go back into FCP and look at the video clips I noticed that the first half the vid rate shows 23.98 and the second half clips show 29.97. They were shot on two different days so I'm assuiming it was an in-camera setting that changed. Is there a way to change the vid rate either when importing the P2 files into the computer or while in the sequence in FMS? I do not have access to the original P2 cards so all I have are the files in the computer. Is the Vid rate difference causing the sync and video problem after export?

I've never shot with this type of camera before. One final problem. The second half footage, the part the exports out of sync, has lines that appear when there is movement. It clears up when I throw a de-interlace filter over it but then the footage plays back like it's stuttering or choppy. Any thoughts?

Thank you.

Return to posts index

Mike Raff
Re: P2 import/export problems
on Jun 4, 2010 at 9:57:15 pm

Hi, Adam

Hopefully one the really smart people here will answer your questions, but I thought I'd take a stab with my limited knowledge.

Yes, I'm afraid you're going to have to go with a single frame rate. I don't believe it's possible to have 23.98 and 29.97 in the same timeline (well, not successfully--as you have already discovered). And, yes, it's an in-camera setting at the time you shot the footage. So you're going to have to convert the 23.98 clips to 29.97 or vice versa.

I believe you have two tools available for doing frame rate conversion: Compressor and Cinema Tools. You might search the forum for "frame rate conversion" or something and I bet you'll get lots of hits.

The good news is that you don't need the P2 cards anymore. The clips created in the Log & Transfer process can be converted.

As for the deinterlace filters, I don't what to tell you. Did you shoot in 1080i or 480i? (Most folks buy the 170 because it can shoot progressive.)

Good luck!

Mike Raff
Richmond, VA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]