FORUMS: list search recent posts

seeing in the viewer which part of a clip has been used

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
blai graell
seeing in the viewer which part of a clip has been used
on Jun 4, 2010 at 7:53:45 am

Hi everyone.

Is it possible to see in the viewer window which parts of the loaded clip have been already used in the timeline? I know that if you have duplicated clips in the timeline a color bar appears underneath them, but it would be much more faster and painless if you see it at first glance before you do all the work of selecting the piece, and editting it to finally realize that it's already used.

Thanks in advance

Return to posts index

cowcow
adam taylor
Re: seeing in the viewer which part of a clip has been used
on Jun 4, 2010 at 11:32:32 am

if you double click a clip in the timeline, the viewer will show the clip, and in the little timeline strip below the image, you should see the in / out points marked.

Adam Taylor
Video Editor/Audio Mixer/ Compositor/Motion GFX/Barista
Character Options Ltd
Oldham, UK

http://www.sculptedbliss.co.uk

Return to posts index

blai graell
on Jun 4, 2010 at 1:37:22 pm

Thanks, Adam for your reply.

I'm editing a music video and I pick very short pieces (often less than a second) of the same take, so it would be very useful to see in just a glance which of those are already used.

Return to posts index

cowcowcowcow
John Fishback
on Jun 4, 2010 at 2:54:06 pm

Only way I can think of is setting markers in clips as you edit. Then, when you open the clip in the viewer you'll see the used sections.

John

MacPro 8-core 2.8GHz 8 GB RAM OS 10.5.8 QT7.6.4 Kona 3 Dual Cinema 23 ATI Radeon HD 3870, 24" TV-Logic Monitor, ATTO ExpressSAS R380 RAID Adapter, PDE enclosure with 8-drive 6TB RAID 5
FCS 3 (FCP 7.0.2, Motion 4.0.2, Comp 3.5.2, DVDSP 4.2.2, Color 1.5.2)

Pro Tools HD w SYNC IO & 192 Digital I/O, Yamaha DM1000, Millennia Media HV-3C, Neumann U87, Schoeps Mk41 mics, Genelec Monitors, PrimaLT ISDN

Return to posts index

blai graell
on Jun 4, 2010 at 3:38:48 pm

Thanks John,

That's a cool tip. Maybe for version 8 they think about including some kind of color line underneath the clip marking the used portions just like in the duplicated clips in the timeline or something like that. It would be really helpfull. Wouldn't it?

Return to posts index

Steven Gonzales
on Jun 5, 2010 at 5:10:48 pm

You can indicate whether you have used frames more than once with "show duplicate frames" in timeline options.

Note that this only works if the clip has reel number and timecode. A colored line will show at the bottom of the clip in the timeline to indicate frames that are used more than once.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Jun 6, 2010 at 4:37:43 am

How would it know which sequence you want to know if you used it in? How would it handle nested sequences? Not saying it's not a good idea, but it's just not as simple of a situation as you think.

Return to posts index

blai graell
on Jun 8, 2010 at 9:41:25 am

well, it could mark the parts you've used in the sequence you're viewing in the timeline at that moment, but i'm sure it's not so easy.

Thanks for your replies,

Blai

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]