xport Audio as layered file

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
stu aull
xport Audio as layered file
on Jun 4, 2010 at 1:27:43 am

FCP 6

Hi All -
what I thought would be a simple issue has me at a dead-end.
I have a project (:30 ad in this case) that I would like to save the programs audio as a single .aif file with _each_ layer/channel separate/discrete within that file. (it has 7 channel/layers now) but no matter what I do I cannot save/export anything but a 2-channel stereo mixed file.

Any ideas?

Th anks
Stu Aull
Alaska

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
Re: xport Audio as layered file
on Jun 4, 2010 at 2:36:06 am

Don't use QT Conversion.
In FC you have an "Export AIFF (s)" option.
That export a multi-channel AIFF.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

stu aull
on Jun 4, 2010 at 7:40:52 am

Thanks Rafael

Didn't work-
Tried "export>export Audio to Aiff - trying both "Stereo Mix" and as "Channel Grouped"
Both result in all mixed to a 2 channel file...

am I missing something??
Stu Aull
Alaska

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Jun 4, 2010 at 7:54:24 am

Try changing the sequence settings to the number of audio outputs you need (8 channel if you have 7 tracks)

Patch each track to a discreet output and export aif>channel grouped file. It should be a mulit channel aif. The other way is to turn off all but two tracks. Export and then turn those tracks off and another two on etc until you have made the requisite number.

You do know about exporting an OMF as well. If you are going to send audio to a post hoouse for tracklay and mix, they would much prefer an OMF which not only preserves each tracks info, but each discreet clip with handles.

Return to posts index

stu aull
on Jun 4, 2010 at 8:20:42 am

Hi Mike- thanks for quick response!!

well - your advise got me ONE step closer ;)
Your advice plus:
Figured out by using "Toggle-auto-select" widget on each channel, I can assign them to one of the 4 stereo pairs so now:
I am outputting the _8_ channels as _4_ separate Aiff files...

Better than nothing, but I _know_ there is such a thing as a single file with more than 2 channels (FX I pull from SoundTrack Pro has them!), so what am I doing wrong??

Stu Aull
Alaska

Return to posts index

adam taylor
on Jun 4, 2010 at 11:30:55 am

if you are exporting the audio for use in another audio application such as logic or ProTools, you could always export an OMF file, as this will retain all the layers, clips etc.

Adam Taylor
Video Editor/Audio Mixer/ Compositor/Motion GFX/Barista
Character Options Ltd
Oldham, UK

http://www.sculptedbliss.co.uk

Return to posts index

stu aull
on Jun 4, 2010 at 7:50:56 pm

Hi Adam-
No - I just want to back these up for future use/changes to program in FCP!!

So - am I correct that there is NO way to create a _single_ multi-layer Aiff file in FCP/FCS?

yoiks!

Stu Aull
Alaska

Return to posts index

John Pale
this is how you do it.
on Jun 4, 2010 at 11:31:58 pm

[stu aull] "So - am I correct that there is NO way to create a _single_ multi-layer Aiff file in FCP/FCS?
"

Actually you can do this (I just checked)....but not in one step.

First change your Sequence settings Audio Output tab to the number of tracks you need to output (if your timeline has 12 tracks and you want to output an AIFF with 12 discrete tracks, etc. You many need to create your own preset, as the default presets are stereo and 5.1 surround.

Export a Quicktime reference movie. Same as source. Your Quicktime reference will have the right number of tracks.

Now, to create your AIFF file, you need to open that reference movie in Quicktime Player Pro (use QT 7 Player, not Quicktime X).

Select File/Export./Sound to AIFF

Click Options. Go to the Channels Pulldown menu and change it from Stereo L/R to, using my example, 12 Discrete Channels.

Done. You now have an AIFF file with multiple channels.

I just tried it. It works. The key is having your Sequence Setting Audio Output set correctly. You need to do this to the Sequence Settings of the open sequence. You cannot just change the overall Sequence Setting, as that only affects newly created sequences.

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Jun 5, 2010 at 12:42:09 am

[stu aull] "well - your advise got me ONE step closer ;)
Your advice plus:....."

Thats what "patch each track to a discreet output" means. I described this step and you worked it out.

On the issue of having a backup to make future changes, don't export your audio this way. If you just want your audio, copy the final sequence, delete all video tracks in this version and then go to Media Manager and copy the sequence to your backup drive, deleting unused media and setting three second handles. You will then have just your final audio media as indiviual tracks and clips so that in the future you can make changes unlike a locked in aif track. It will take just a small amount more drive space (for the handles) but be in a much superior form.

As a further bonus, you will still have reel and timecode data if you need to go back to a tape to extend any audio. Using aifs as archive is a poor strategy.

Return to posts index

stu aull
on Jun 5, 2010 at 3:12:26 am

Thanks Mike, John-
Ahh, this is great, I will try this method instead!!
cheers to all for help and _time_ - great resource here, as always

regards
Stu Aull
Alaska

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]