FORUMS: list search recent posts

What macbook pro if any ??

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jakob Mortensen
What macbook pro if any ??
on Jun 3, 2010 at 8:28:04 pm

Hey

I would like to hear from users who has experience with FCP and the new MacBook Pro range. Now I am set for bying one but have no idea if it matters if its a i5 or i7 ?

What about the disk I am considering getting a 10000 rpm disc and 8 GB ram.

The most important is though that I am not very interested in the 17 inch, it seems to impractical BUT its the only one with that expresscard port. Another user told me that firewire800 to a external CalDigit VR raid system would be fast enough to support 2-3 tracs multicam edit in prores422, how do you feel about that ?

Best wishes

Jakob

Return to posts index

Zane Barker
Re: What macbook pro if any ??
on Jun 3, 2010 at 9:15:14 pm

"The most important is though that I am not very interested in the 17 inch"

Then in my opinion don't get s MscBook Pro.

Because the 17" is the only one with the express slot it is really the only one that i would even consider for professional video.

"What about the disk I am considering getting a 10000 rpm disc"

For a system drive there is really no point a 5400 rpm drive is fine for a system drive. You need to keep your media on a separate drive preferably a raid for faster performance.

Hindsight is always 1080p

Return to posts index

Dan Brockett
on Jun 3, 2010 at 9:22:52 pm

I just received a new MBP from Apple to replace my 2007 MBP that was a lemon. Unfortunately, it is a 15" i5. While it is fast and slick...

1. The glossy screen really sucks in comparison to my old MBP that had the matte screen
2. Losing the FW 400 port is a royal PITA
3. Losing the Expresscard 34 slot sucks. No more Express34 slot CF card reader, no more E-SATA RAID

I am not a full time editor although I do edit my own demo reels, corporate projects and a few little projects here and there. I used a single disc FW 800 drive recently to cut a two camera concert that was 1080 24p Pro Res. I had to reduce the playback quality quite a bit. Add another camera angle and stream and I am not sure of FW 800 would handle it.

I am in total agreement with the other Zane on all counts. Unless you mess with video just as a hobby, I would only get the 17" MBP.

Dan

Providing value added material to all of your favorite DVDs

Return to posts index

B.J. Ahlen
on Jun 3, 2010 at 11:38:59 pm

Amen to that, and add that you can get the 17" with a matte screen, it is incredible (and the 1920x1200 resolution is the bee's knees for getting work done).

eSATA is the only interface for serious use, FW & USB are OK only for backing up.

It's not just about speed, but also trouble-free operation.

I like FirmTek's 2-port eSATA Express/34 card (and their multiple drive enclosures), rockin' reliable and good drivers.

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Jun 4, 2010 at 2:33:35 am

Absolutely agreement with Zane.
A 17' with the faster processor and all the RAM that you can add is the only choice that you won't regret in the future.
The 10.000 RPM are just to eat more battery.
I'm waiting for the new Mac Pro's but they are not coming. I will get me a new 17" MBP i7 (of course) to replace my 2007 MBP.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Alan Lacey
on Jun 4, 2010 at 10:21:26 am

ExpressCard raid: Don't for get usb3's just around the corner.

Alan

FlashXDR,XDcamHD,XDcamEX,D9 etc
FCS,AE,Combustion,LiquidSilver,Vegas,Edius,
G5,MBP,Vista64,XP

Return to posts index

B.J. Ahlen
on Jun 4, 2010 at 3:23:03 pm

[Alan Lacey] "Don't for get usb3's just around the corner."

USB3 will have more improvements than just a higher bit rate, but I'd like someone to verify that it is actually suitable for high performance video editing.

Today, USB 2 runs at 480 Mbps, while FW400 chugs along at 400 Mbps.

So 480 is faster than 400, right?

No. Not for a computer that is already running at high CPU utilization, such as with rendering.

USB transfers are handled by the main CPU, while FW uses a separate controller that offloads the CPU so it can focus on keeping for example FCP running at the best speed possible,

Return to posts index

Alan Lacey
on Jun 4, 2010 at 4:07:02 pm

I just couldn't think of any other reason for Apple to make the rather strange decision to remove ExpressCard slot off the smaller MBPs

Alan

FlashXDR,XDcamHD,XDcamEX,D9 etc
FCS,AE,Combustion,LiquidSilver,Vegas,Edius,
G5,MBP,Vista64,XP

Return to posts index

B.J. Ahlen
on Jun 4, 2010 at 5:25:58 pm

[Alan Lacey] "I just couldn't think of any other reason for Apple to make the rather strange decision to remove ExpressCard slot off the smaller MBPs
"

Yeah, perhaps someone was dropped on his head as a child.

It was a bizarre decision.

Return to posts index

Jakob Mortensen
on Jun 4, 2010 at 8:06:46 pm

Thx to all i get the point about the expresscard port being crucial so i Will Go for that

Best wishes

Jakob

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]