FORUMS: list search recent posts

Is there a way to lock the wanted green, so I can edit out the unwanted green?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Diogo Braga
Is there a way to lock the wanted green, so I can edit out the unwanted green?
on Jun 3, 2010 at 2:30:07 pm

I looked everywhere, but couldn't find the solution online. Since this forum has helped me a ton learning Final Cut Express, here is the problem:

I am editing a video made in front of a green screen. I've found helpful information on how to use chroma keyer, however the image contains green details that must remain, but it gets edited out when I am doing the chroma keyer. Is there a way to lock an image within the video, so I can get more specific with the editing? Is that making any sense?!

I am trying to find a way to lock the wanted green, so I can edit out the unwanted green.

Thank you!!

Return to posts index

Jason Diebler
Re: Is there a way to lock the wanted green, so I can edit out the unwanted green?
on Jun 3, 2010 at 3:40:55 pm

Same exact post was posted yesterday... you will likely have to garbage matte and composite. FCP doesn't work like Photoshop.

After Effects and Motion will give you better tools than FCP, but you're talking FC Express... so I'm guessing those aren't at your disposal?

If there is motion in your shot (either the subjects move or the camera moves), you will have a lot of work on your hands. Rotoscoping, keyframing, compositing. Best advice is to reshoot, because that will truthfully save you the most time. If there is no motion, then you have something salvageable.

"The deepest blues are black" - Foo Fighters
(this doesn't help me when I'm chroma keying!)

Return to posts index

Diogo Braga
Re: Is there a way to lock the wanted green, so I can edit out the unwanted green?
on Jun 3, 2010 at 11:26:58 pm

Thank you so much!

I'm focusing on learning FCE for now. In the video the subject moves. To be more specific the background is green, and the floor is a different green tone. I was hoping to find a way not to chroma keyer the floor...

I was trying to play around with chroma keyer again, but now nothing happens when I click the color selector on the background, I am wondering if I changed a set up by mistake.

Is there a way to delete chroma keyer from all subclips at once? Because I selected them all, effects -> video filter -> key -> chroma keyer, and it worked fine, but when it comes to deleting it, the only way that's working is one at a time.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jun 3, 2010 at 4:06:47 pm

[Diogo Braga] "...I am editing a video made in front of a green screen... however the image contains green details that must remain, but it gets edited out when I am doing the chroma keyer..."

I sincerely hope you learned a lesson here -- when shooting for chroma key, DON'T INCLUDE THE KEY COLOR IN THE SUBJECT! You need green in the shot? Shoot on a blue screen, for heaven's sake!

If somebody else shot this footage for you, give them a dope slap. If you shot it yourself, give yourself a dope slap.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Diogo Braga
on Jun 3, 2010 at 11:29:14 pm

Yeah...I learned my lesson!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]