FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCP registration

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Scott Davis
FCP registration
on Jun 3, 2010 at 1:15:31 pm

Is FCP registration tied to the CPU? I have an upcoming project (to be done on their system). They are working on FCS2. It will be Color intensive and I would like to have Color 1.5.2. So, I was thinking I could install my FCS3 (I only have it installed on my laptop right now). on a hard drive. Drop that hard drive into their CPU, and boot from my harddrive. My thinking is not wanting to upgrade their system in the middle of a project since all I want is the updated Color. Dumb idea? Not possible?

Return to posts index

Tom Wolsky
Re: FCP registration
on Jun 3, 2010 at 1:59:34 pm

Not possible. FCS has to be installed on the system drive as it installs and access system resources.

All the best,

Tom

Class on Demand DVDs "Complete Training for FCP7," "Basic Training for FCS" and "Final Cut Express Made Easy"
Author: "Final Cut Pro 5 Editing Essentials" and "Final Cut Express 4 Editing Workshop"

Return to posts index

Scott Davis
on Jun 3, 2010 at 2:39:07 pm

What if I install the OS and then FCS on the hard drive. Then boot up to that specific drive (the one with FCS 3 and the OS) on it? I can't test it out for a few days; so I'm just trying to think through this.

Scott Davis
View Scott Davis's profile on LinkedIn

Return to posts index

Tom Wolsky
on Jun 3, 2010 at 2:42:54 pm

That would be illegal and a violation of the EULA if you do not own the computer you're using it on.

All the best,

Tom

Class on Demand DVDs "Complete Training for FCP7," "Basic Training for FCS" and "Final Cut Express Made Easy"
Author: "Final Cut Pro 5 Editing Essentials" and "Final Cut Express 4 Editing Workshop"

Return to posts index

Scott Davis
on Jun 3, 2010 at 2:57:57 pm

Ok. In my opinion that is really asinine. I see it as if I go down to Home Depot and buy a hammer and Home Depot says that I can only use that hammer when working on the house that I own. If I am a carpenter I can't take that hammer and work on someone else's home. Even though I bought the hammer in full. I know I agreed to the EULA voluntarily and will abide by it; but I still think it is ridiculous.

Scott Davis
View Scott Davis's profile on LinkedIn

Return to posts index

Tom Wolsky
on Jun 3, 2010 at 3:21:22 pm

Software is not the same as a hammer. You don't own software; you own the discs. You license the use of the software. Music is the same.

It may be asinine but that the EULA you agreed to when you installed the software. You can only use the software on one desktop computer and one laptop computer both of which you have to own. That's it. Using it on someone else's machine is forbidden.

All the best,

Tom

Return to posts index

adam taylor
on Jun 4, 2010 at 7:52:45 am

also you might find that once the edit is complete, and you take away your copy of the software, the client may not be able to open the project with an older copy of the application. At least not until they upgrade, and they may have reasons for not wanting to do this.

Adam Taylor
Video Editor/Audio Mixer/ Compositor/Motion GFX/Barista
Character Options Ltd
Oldham, UK

http://www.sculptedbliss.co.uk

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]