FORUMS: list search recent posts

Archive to Tape like Avid...

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dan Nethery
Archive to Tape like Avid...
on Jun 3, 2010 at 12:02:16 pm

So does anyone have any solutions for this? In Avid, you can Archive to Tape. It takes a minimized copy of your Timeline, and rolls it to a tape. Then when you want to bring a clean copy of the final edit online, you just load your project and batch capture your tape... not going though a couple boxes of shoots pull all of your project back online.

A lot of the shows we cut here can come from about 3 or 4 dozen shoots at anytime. So what we are doing now is using Media Manager to minimize the project, then back it up to a couple of different hard drives... This might be cheaper then HDCAM Tapes, but I still trust a tape over a drive for the long haul.

Thanks a million for any input.
dan.

Return to posts index

John Knapich
Re: Archive to Tape like Avid...
on Jun 3, 2010 at 1:16:47 pm

We do an archive from the FCP project using media manager and back up to dual layer blu-rays which hold about 50 gigs. They will last a lot longer than a drive.

FCP 6.06, OS 10.5.8 2x3GHZ Quad-Core Intel Xeon, Kona LHe, Dulce Duo-eSATA 8 Drive, 4TB Raid.

John Knapich
Creative Director/Partner
Assembypix.tv

Return to posts index

Dan Nethery
on Jun 3, 2010 at 2:30:02 pm

We had looked into that. It starts to take away the connivance of bringing stuff back online... It take forever to transfer 50gbs off of a BRD. It's a heck of a lot quicker to wait for a video tape. thanks for the thought though....

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jun 3, 2010 at 4:20:29 pm

That feature is uniquely Avid. Media manage to hard drives. Drives are cheap.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Dennis Reibensteel
on Jun 3, 2010 at 3:13:03 pm

[John Knapich] "... and back up to dual layer blu-rays which hold about 50 gigs. They will last a lot longer than a drive."

I wouldn't count on that. Has it been tested, yet?
Blu-Rays are just a few years old. A tape is still the best backup.

Return to posts index

Bob Flood
on Jun 3, 2010 at 9:13:54 pm

Hi Dan

I have wanted that kind of capability for as long as i can remember

The closest I got was through Bouke Vahl and his company Video Toolshed. They had a program call XML2TXT, and using that with a couple of other QT Utilites you were able to reproduce the Avid Archive to Tape, but nowhere near as elegantly. A lot of FCP users have moved to DLT Tape, one of the arguments being that the Finacial industry is using it, so it will be around for a while.
But i still think Archive to Tape would be great for companies who already own DVCPROHD or HDCAM VTR's, and want to get some more life out of them. How about having all the shots you used to make a show on one tape? really good for press kits and b roll comps?

Bouke can write custom software, especially for FCP. If you think it would be worth some ka-ching, contact him:

http://www.videotoolshed.com/

hope this helps

"I like video because its so fast!"

Bob Flood
Greer & Associates, Inc.

Return to posts index

Marino Di Napoli
Re: Archive to Tape like Avid . . . and smoke
on Sep 24, 2010 at 8:27:42 pm

So, there is no way to archive material to tape?

I'd rather dump all of the project onto tape & restore the timeline & all of the media, then hope that some lacie drive decides to play nice a month or year down the road. I've restored archives that were years old on FFI systems. The autodesk boxes have done this for years. Is this asking too much from a "Pro" app?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]