FORUMS: list search recent posts

NTSC 23,97 3:2 flag - is this correct?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Per Olsson
NTSC 23,97 3:2 flag - is this correct?
on Jun 3, 2010 at 12:15:12 am

Hi!

I got a movie recorded in 25 fps that I want to convert to NTSC 23,97 with 3:2 flag in Final Cut (as far as I understand the 2:3 flag will make it play correct in NTSC DVD)

How do I do this. What I done is to:

1) Easy Setup = DV NTSC 23.98

2) dragged the mov file from the browser into the timeline and did select no on change settings to match the clip

3) anti alised the clip (it went blurry and antialising helped)

My question is:

Ive understood that NTSC is:
720x480/29.97fps or 23,98fps with 3:2 flag

Mine is now in 23,98 but how do I now if I got the 3:2 pull down flag???

Im using this settings on the clip:

does that look correct? Im thinking mainly on the NTSC DV 3:2. does that mean that Ive got the pull down flag and that it will play correct in a NTSC DVD?

thanks

Perik

Return to posts index

Jerry Hofmann
Re: NTSC 23,97 3:2 flag - is this correct?
on Jun 3, 2010 at 5:42:24 am

The settings you show are NTSC and will play OK on an NTSC TV. However they aren't 23.98 with a pulldown. They are 29.97. If the footage looks OK it is OK... Judge this externally on a TV set or Video monitor.

You started with PAL footage, and I'd suggest you use compressor to do this conversion. You can select 23.98 as the fps... then actually edit in native 23.98 sequences. This will burn to a DVD directly and may look a bit better, but I'm only guessing here as i've never tried it, but it seems to me it's going to look better because you're not actually chaging the frame rate as much. DVD players will add back that pulldown you're after automatically during playback, so it would play at that frame rate OK on an NTSC TV and a DVD.

Jerry

Apple Certified Trainer, Producer, Writer, Director Editor, Gun for Hire and other things. I ski.

8-Core 3.0 Intel Mac Pro, Dual 2 gig G5, AJA Kona SD, AJA Kona 2, Huge Systems Array UL3D, AJA Io HD, 17" MBP, Matrox MXO2 with MAX Cinema Displays

Return to posts index

Per Olsson
on Jun 3, 2010 at 8:40:45 am

The settings you show are NTSC and will play OK on an NTSC TV. However they aren't 23.98 with a pulldown. They are 29.97

whoops, sorry. this shall be the correct footage:

been experimenting a bit so accidently took the wrong one.

Is this correct then?

how can I see if I got the 3:2 flag?

and what does it do?

thanks

Perik

Return to posts index

Jerry Hofmann
on Jun 3, 2010 at 5:17:06 pm

The 3:2 spec doesn't refer to frame rates it refers to aspect ratios of the pixels asif.

If you choose 23.98, it will be more or less 24fps. You don't need flags for this... you would need a pulldown pattern for 24fps video spread across 29.97 fps, but that's only if you're going to tape. If you create a 23.98 DVD the players will play this on a DVD to any NTSC TV set.

Jerry

Apple Certified Trainer, Producer, Writer, Director Editor, Gun for Hire and other things. I ski.

8-Core 3.0 Intel Mac Pro, Dual 2 gig G5, AJA Kona SD, AJA Kona 2, Huge Systems Array UL3D, AJA Io HD, 17" MBP, Matrox MXO2 with MAX Cinema Displays

Return to posts index

Matt Campbell
on Jun 3, 2010 at 6:00:34 pm

Might I add, FCP does not add in the proper 3:2 pulldown in the timeline. After Effects can do this. But like Jerry said, keep you 23.98 fps. DVD players will add the pulldown in during playback via hardware. Its very clean. Also, if you output to tape, tape runs at 29.97 so you can add the pulldown in when you print to tape.

OS 10.6.3, Mac Pro 2 x 2.66 ghz quad-core intel xenon, 16 gb ram, with BM Intensity Pro card

Return to posts index

John Heagy
on Jun 3, 2010 at 8:45:40 pm

[Matt Campbell] "Might I add, FCP does not add in the proper 3:2 pulldown in the timeline"

You speak the truth...

Simply changing the frame rate may be acceptable, but there's a slicker way...

The "Inverse European Method"... follow my logic...

If it's a PAL movie, it was most likely shot in 24fps and sped up to 25fps - this is SOP in PAL world. Even if it was shot in 25fps - this is still valid - as it's done both ways: PAL > 24 > PAL.

Given that, you could do the same. Open the 25fps movie in Cinema Tools and "Conform" it to 23.976 - do this to a copy because it will alter the original. Now you have the original 24fps movie and can add 3:2 "pulldown" in AE, Compressor or JES De-Interlacer

Make Sense?

John Heagy

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]