FORUMS: list search recent posts

Apple Compressor audio channel removal.

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Josh Becker
Apple Compressor audio channel removal.
on Jun 2, 2010 at 11:38:13 pm

Basically, I need to scrap the right channel in all of my clips and create a mono (or stereo duplicates) of the left channel.

In Compressor's audio settings, I can only create a mono mix, but I can't tell it that I want mono (L) or mono (R), it will only do a mix.

Is there anyway of creating these settings? I have a lot of clips I need to do this to (and will have more in the future) and I want a streamlined workflow for doing this.

Thanks,
Josh

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
Re: Apple Compressor audio channel removal.
on Jun 3, 2010 at 12:41:49 am

The most efficient way to do this would be to put each reel in a sequence, then modify the audio by disabling one of the channels, center panning the other, and the export QT Movie with current settings. You can copy and paste the attributes to every reel as well, however timecode might be an issue.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

EPK Colorist - UP IN THE AIR - nominated for six academy awards

A forum host of Creative COW's Apple Final Cut Pro, Business & Marketing, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

Josh Becker
on Jun 3, 2010 at 2:25:40 am

I hope that's not the only way to do it... It's a bit of a hassle to do that with every batch of clips I have. I don't necessarily have to export them out to new quicktime movies, since my intention is the edit them in Final Cut.

The reason I am trying to find a more simple solution is because it is footage from the Canon 7D, so I'm already transcoding everything. I'm using a JuicedLink DT454 to record audio straight into the 7D (and defeat the auto gain control in the process) and this creates a right channel full of noise. I'd hate to transcode every shot, then manually cut out the audio on every clip.

I want a compressor audio setting where I can say "Mono (L)". for the audio track. :(

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Jun 3, 2010 at 4:27:07 am

Then I'd say experiment and find a solution for yourself that works, because this is far from a typical workflow.

I think most editors would simply disconnect one channel or the other when editing to the timeline, then center pan all clips later.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

EPK Colorist - UP IN THE AIR - nominated for six academy awards

A forum host of Creative COW's Apple Final Cut Pro, Business & Marketing, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

Josh Becker
on Jun 3, 2010 at 4:17:41 am

I hope that's not the only way to do it... It's a bit of a hassle to do that with every batch of clips I have. I don't necessarily have to export them out to new quicktime movies, since my intention is the edit them in Final Cut.

The reason I am trying to find a more simple solution is because it is footage from the Canon 7D, so I'm already transcoding everything. I'd hate to transcode every shot, then do all of the audio work.

UPDATE: I realized that in the Canon EOS Final Cut Plugin (which can be used to import using Log and Transfer in Final Cut Pro) has audio/video settings for import, which allows you to turn off individual channels!

So I was able to simply uncheck the right audio channel!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]