FORUMS: list search recent posts

Extracting from a DVD which codec should I use for FCP ?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Fredy Schwerdtner
Extracting from a DVD which codec should I use for FCP ?
on Jun 2, 2010 at 5:59:00 pm

Hi fellows,
First, unfortunatly I have to say that I got a storm over here: My MBP is dead .... it is at Apple to fix it and I'm afraid it is the mother board ... snif.
As I can't have a privilege to be stoped doing nothing, I got a little job. A client brought me 2 DVDs and he wants to make 2 little trailers of the movies to be posted on his website and in another DVD. He doesn't have the masters, so I will have to extract from the DVDs. I'm planing to use MPEG Streamclip to do it. The movies are regular 4x3. I believe I should make the movies as DV instead of Quicktime. Said that, MPEG Streamclip gives 3 options: DV, DVCPRO25 and DVCPRO50. Which one should I use since I'm already making a material from a compressed file ?

Thanks in advance.
Fredy

PS.: I will be working on my old iMac 800 with FCP 5 or 6

MacBook Pro 17"
2.5 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
4GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM
(2) External HD LaCieMac (400/800 FW and USB)with 500GB -(2) USB External HD Western Digital (in cases) with 750GB
OS X 10.5.7
Final Cut Studio 2

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
Re: Extracting from a DVD which codec should I use for FCP ?
on Jun 2, 2010 at 6:08:22 pm

I use DVCPro50 or prores, It will hold together better when it is compressed for the other DVD. Not a huge difference but enough to make it worth taking up the extra HD space.

Return to posts index

Fredy Schwerdtner
on Jun 2, 2010 at 9:08:05 pm

Thanks Michael,
If I go for FCP 5 I will make the movies DVCPRO50 because FCP 5 doesn't hold PRORES but if I go for FCP6 I will go for PRORES.

Thanks again ...

MacBook Pro 17"
2.5 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
4GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM
(2) External HD LaCieMac (400/800 FW and USB)with 500GB -(2) USB External HD Western Digital (in cases) with 750GB
OS X 10.5.7
Final Cut Studio 2

Return to posts index

Matt Campbell
on Jun 3, 2010 at 6:11:40 pm

I do this all the time and use ProRes. Works and looks good. Just make sure you keep your frame rates in order.

OS 10.6.3, Mac Pro 2 x 2.66 ghz quad-core intel xenon, 16 gb ram, with BM Intensity Pro card

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]