FORUMS: list search recent posts

Strobing Issue

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dave Kramer
Strobing Issue
on Jun 2, 2010 at 4:02:14 am

I'm having a problem with strobing on some HD footage in FCP-7.

I'm shooting a how to DVD

3 cameras
Camera 1 - Sony HDV-HVRZ1U / 1080/60i
Camera 2 - Sony HDV-HVRZ1U / 1080/60i
Camera 3 - Sony SR11 / 1920 X 1080/60i

captured video:
HDV 1440 X 1080 mpeg-2

The captured video looks good when I view it through quicktime, but when I view it in FCP it strobes, ( values, color and sharpness pulsate). I see this on my compurter and external monitor.

I tried converting them to a different format, "Apple ProRes 422, 1920 X 1080 60i", This got rid of the strobing, but killed my TB hard drive.

Q1- Does anyone know why my video was strobing in FCP and not Quicktime?

Q2- Converting it to "Apple ProRes 422 1920 X 1080 60i" has used up almost 1,000GB making it hard to keep all the editing files on one TB hard drive. Is there a better format I can work with that wont use up so much memory?

Q3- There are several variations of "Apple ProRes 422". What version does iMovie convert to when capturing AVCHD files from a camcorder like the Sony SR11? I've looked at information about the file, but only the basic info is given.

Thanks for any help you can give.
~ Dave

Dave Kramer
Art by Dave Kramer

Return to posts index

Jerry Hofmann
Re: Strobing Issue
on Jun 2, 2010 at 1:07:37 pm

Try using ProRes LT. It's broadcast quality, and unless you're doing a ton of compositing with the source material, it's likely going to work just fine. It's still 1920X1080, but a smaller file.

Jerry

Apple Certified Trainer, Producer, Writer, Director Editor, Gun for Hire and other things. I ski.

8-Core 3.0 Intel Mac Pro, Dual 2 gig G5, AJA Kona SD, AJA Kona 2, Huge Systems Array UL3D, AJA Io HD, 17" MBP, Matrox MXO2 with MAX Cinema Displays

Return to posts index

Dave Kramer
on Jun 3, 2010 at 9:14:27 am

Thanks for the tip. i will definitely use it next time.

Does anyone know why my footage was strobing in Final Cut? I would still like to know.

Dave Kramer
Art by Dave Kramer

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Jun 3, 2010 at 9:52:33 am

Where you watching the movie fully rendered and with the Canvas set at 100%?
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Dave Kramer
on Jun 3, 2010 at 2:01:22 pm

Yes, and yes, rendered and Canvas set at 100%.

I had a similar thing happen to me a few years ago. Strobing occurred because I had my shutter speed up too high for shooting under a florescent light, but this is different.

Dave Kramer
Art by Dave Kramer

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]