FORUMS: list search recent posts

CD track eat up 9 frames in 4,5 minutes. Good advice is needed!

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark Hildebrandt
CD track eat up 9 frames in 4,5 minutes. Good advice is needed!
on Jun 1, 2010 at 9:48:25 pm

Hey you guys!
Im in really trouble with a project. I am producing a fitness dvd and the soundtrack is eating up frames in common to my video, where i try to syncronize the sound from. Its totally strange for me and i have no solution for the customer which - of course - is not satisfied.
I have NO clue what to do. Can anyone help?

the footage is taken from Sony HVR-V1E in HDV and the soundtrack is taken from a dedicated made CD and converted to MP3 before putted into finalcut.

....pleeeeeeeeeeeease help me...

Best from Mark, Norway

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: CD track eat up 9 frames in 4,5 minutes. Good advice is needed!
on Jun 2, 2010 at 12:58:14 am

FCP doesn't like MP3s....nor 44.1 audio. It must be 48kHz audio, AIFF stereo 16 bit. COnvert that with Compressor, then try.

But it might not match playback entirely...as playback on the set will be 44.1

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Jun 2, 2010 at 1:04:21 am

I have no idea what you mean by "eating up". Final Cut needs aif or wav files, 16 or 24 bit and 48kkz sample rate. Your CD should be converted to an aif file at 16 bits and the sample rate changed to 48khz (CDs are 44.1khz).

Sequence should aslo be set to 48khz. Converting to mp3 throws away quality and they just don't work in FCP.So go back to the CD and convert to FCP friendly.

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Jun 2, 2010 at 1:09:05 am

btw Shane sample rate converting 44.1khz to 48khz has no affect on sync.Playback accyracy is dependend on the crystal sync stability and accuracy of the playback device.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jun 2, 2010 at 2:06:12 am

Right. Thx.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Mark Hildebrandt
on Jun 2, 2010 at 1:35:57 am

i did this in aiff and 48khz. it doesnt help. It seems like it happens in the sound from my camera. I have browsed around and i see this is a common problem in FCP7. I dont know what to say to my customer tomorrow... maybe offer to build it up in premiere pro instead... can it really be right.. will take a week.... Or manipulate each song which has to be in sync by moving or changing speed in each musictrack!

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Jun 2, 2010 at 2:14:36 am

Perhaps if you told us how this was shot, playback system used and frame rates you are shooting with we might be able to help.

You have solved one technical problem but leave us with no info to help with a bigger problem. Changing to Premiere Pro might be a total waste of time.

Return to posts index

Mark Hildebrandt
on Jun 2, 2010 at 8:09:49 am

thanks guys for using your time!
i shooted this on sony hvr-v1e both on tape and to Harddrive from sony to the camera. The footage used is from the harddrive. It can be worth to capture this from tape and see if its still out of sync...? Framerate is 25 (PAL)

I got on another forum a respond about this as well. He writes me following:

"R.A. Leendertse posted "Re: audio out of sync in a fitnessproduction" in "audio out of sync in a fitnessproduction" on Jun 1, 2010 11:54:38 PM.
--------------------------------------------------------------
Well, 

You need to describe your workflow at the moment of filming I suppose.
But I can think of this happening, which is a very common mistake):
I assume you shoot this fitness training with your hdv camera and in the fitness studio you were playing the cd from an ordinary cd player, so that the people in it could move sync to the music. Am I right? Then read on. Otherwise skip this post :-)
So now you think that you can edit this video and lie the cd track under it on the timeline and everything will be sync. But most time it won't! And tha's because not evey cd player plays exactly at the same speed. You don't hear it until you try to sync it to another source with the same track. They slightly go out of sync over time and by the end of the song this can be a few seconds.

So now for the solution:
If this is a fast cutted movie you can consider to edit in sync. Just cut out one or two frames of video every now and then to compensate for the sync-problem.
Another approach would be to speed up or down the audio track. You can do that with Soundtrack Pro. You'll need to do some math to know how much to decrease or increase speed. But it is possible. Now the 'tone' will go up (speed up) or down (speed down) so you van use the pitch control to get it back to the right 'tone' (sorry, not sure about the proper English name for this).
If you have no experiene with soundtrack pro, you can also ask a audio editor (with ProTools or alike) to help you out. It will be peanuts for him/her

Rienk"

Thanks,
Mark

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]