FORUMS: list search recent posts

Is Certifcation worth the money?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Christopher Targia
Is Certifcation worth the money?
on Jun 1, 2010 at 2:47:15 pm

Is it worth the money to spend to get Apple Certified? Do employers really look for stuff like that on a resume? Or is it just a scam from apple to get more money?

Return to posts index

Rob Grauert
Re: Is Certifcation worth the money?
on Jun 1, 2010 at 3:02:19 pm

I don't think it's a scam for Apple to get more money. It may be beneficial if you want to teach video, but if you're going to be an editor, legit places are most likely more interested in your reel.

I look at it like this: When I was in college, anyone with a pulse could get a degree in video, but having that degree didn't make them any good (we're all just punk kids, lol). I feel it's the same with a certification. You may learn what all the buttons do, but that doesn't really mean you're any good.

That's just MY opinion

Rob Grauert, Jr.
http://www.robgrauert.com
command-r.tumblr.com

Return to posts index

Richard Sanchez
on Jun 1, 2010 at 3:08:21 pm

Is it a scam? No. You'll learn the tool better. Do employers care? No. Employers generally just want to know that you're familiar with the technology and workflow appropriate to their project. A solid reel and resume, and of course nothing goes further than a good recommendation.

Richard Sanchez
North Hollywood, CA

"We are the facilitators of our own creative evolution." - Bill Hicks

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Jun 1, 2010 at 3:35:32 pm

Certification on a resume is cool for beginners who have no real experience. Other than that, it\'s pretty much regarded by those hiring as an attempt to camoflage an otherwise weak resume.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

EPK Colorist - UP IN THE AIR - nominated for six academy awards

A forum host of Creative COW's Apple Final Cut Pro, Business & Marketing, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Jun 1, 2010 at 4:08:05 pm

The guy with the cert gets to do a lot of system and file maintenance. IT work. If you wanted to get an entry-level job at a large post operation, you usually start on the night shift doing assistant editor drudge work like purging or offloading drives to archival storage, loading in new footage into the system and setting up logging bins and etc. as well as overall system maintenance, so the expensive and money-making day editor can sit down and be immediately productive. Those system upkeep jobs are not something you want to entrust to some untrained goofball. So in that sense, it could be a valuable entry point. But few people give the IT aspects of editing systems much respect, it isn't "sexy" or "creative". You're a pixel janitor. But nobody likes to stay long in a posh hotel that doesn't have any janitors.

I think a pilot or race driver that also understands the mechanical systems of his ride and how it is built is a more productive pilot or driver. But a cert by itself tells zero about how well you can edit. Consider it a solid technical foundation on which to build an editing education once you also take the aesthetic instruction. Some people skip that step and do quite all right; they generally need a support guy every once in a while though.

Return to posts index

Christopher Targia
on Jun 1, 2010 at 5:57:42 pm

Thank you all for your responses. To clear up, when I asked about if its a scam, I didn't mean the class itself, obviously you will learn something and I will probably be taking the advanced course to polish my skills. However I wanted to know if it was worth the extra money to actually take the test and get that certificate, and if it is actually worth anything. By your responses it seems not so much, unless you do not have any real world experience. Any other comments?

Return to posts index

Victor Perez
on Jun 1, 2010 at 6:22:49 pm

Although I just became Certified on FCP 7 Level 1 this past year, I have been an editor over many platforms for the past 12 years. On a whim I decided to buy the book and take the exam. It was sorta fun, I did learn a few things that I did not use in the past and my attention to learning new shortcuts and workflows has grown. It has also readdressed my interests in Final Cut Studio when other edit suites seem to be ahead of the curve in some ways. Alone it might not get you a job. But its good to hear the boss walk potential clients by my edit suit and say, "here is one of our Apple Certified Editors." I am the only one of 6 editors and I laugh every time I hear it because I only took the Level 1 exam. So was it worth it? For me I would say yes. Would I continue? If time allows, probably yes.

Victor
http://www.editvictor.com

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Jun 1, 2010 at 6:29:34 pm

If you want to go into teaching and instruction, it can be a good thing.

If you want it for getting editing work, not necessary. I don't pay any attention to FCP certification when reviewing demo reels and resumes here.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Editor, Colorist, Director, Writer, Consultant, Author, Chef.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

"Foul Water, Fiery Serpent" featuring Sigourney Weaver coming soon.

Blog Twitter Facebook

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jun 1, 2010 at 6:40:46 pm

The only time being certified helped me (I'm Avid certified) was getting jobs as an assistant. In Los Angeles, no one cares if you are certified or not.

"Can you tell a story? Good. Can you use FCP and are you good on it? Good. Let's see your reel... good. Moving on...."

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Scott Sheriff
on Jun 2, 2010 at 8:52:12 am

No.

Scott Sheriff
Director
SST Digital Media
http://www.sstdigitalmedia.com

Return to posts index

Richard Gardner
on Jun 6, 2010 at 4:09:36 pm

I've known "Certified" editors that stink.

fledgling editor
professional slouch

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Jun 7, 2010 at 6:02:57 pm

[Richard Gardner] "I've known "Certified" editors that stink. "

It just goes to show, besides being pretty meaningless for most editors, certification is no excuse for ignoring proper hygiene.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

EPK Colorist - UP IN THE AIR - nominated for six academy awards

A forum host of Creative COW's Apple Final Cut Pro, Business & Marketing, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]