FORUMS: list search recent posts

viewing more than one edit at a time in FCP

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tamsyn Reynolds
viewing more than one edit at a time in FCP
on Jun 1, 2010 at 8:22:13 am

hi

I am editing a video art piece with 3 screens to be viewed on 3 separate monitors - so I'm editing 3 sequences. The 3 don't need to be frame-accurately synchronized, but they do need to to work together. Is there a way in FCP of viewing all 3 timelines at once? Without having to export to QT.

thanks!!

Tamsyn

Return to posts index

John Pale
Re: viewing more than one edit at a time in FCP
on Jun 1, 2010 at 3:51:43 pm

No. You can only play one sequence at a time in any NLE that I know of.

Export QuickTime movies of your sequences, then reimport, scale as needed or use multiclip.

I suppose you could nest your sequences and place them in one timeline, then resize your nests... Depending on the complexity of the sequences and your hardware, they might not play very well. Also nesting can have some confusing and unpredictable behavior (I try to stay away from it).

Return to posts index

John Fishback
on Jun 1, 2010 at 4:51:03 pm

Actually, if the timebase is the same, you can play sequences inside other sequences. They nest. What you can do to see three at once (assuming your drives can keep up) os add the three seqs to a fourth seq, then size eacj within the motion tab so all fit.

John

MacPro 8-core 2.8GHz 8 GB RAM OS 10.5.8 QT7.6.4 Kona 3 Dual Cinema 23 ATI Radeon HD 3870, 24" TV-Logic Monitor, ATTO ExpressSAS R380 RAID Adapter, PDE enclosure with 8-drive 6TB RAID 5
FCS 3 (FCP 7.0.2, Motion 4.0.2, Comp 3.5.2, DVDSP 4.2.2, Color 1.5.2)

Pro Tools HD w SYNC IO & 192 Digital I/O, Yamaha DM1000, Millennia Media HV-3C, Neumann U87, Schoeps Mk41 mics, Genelec Monitors, PrimaLT ISDN

Return to posts index

Sam Cole
on Jun 2, 2010 at 1:06:42 am

I don't know if this helps but we recently did a job where the client needed 4 projector screens to run 4 video's synchronized to each other.

All the video shot was SD so we created a timeline for each video and then nested in a quad split at 1920x1080 and mastered it out to HDCAM.

At the venue they framed the projectors to their required quadrants and played it off the HDCAM deck. The lights and stadium sound locked to the timecode

Unfortunately at one of the venues the JH3 HDCAM deck died so luckily we had our Macbook Pro and a MXO2 and played it off that. We had an audio file that had timecode so we placed that in the timeline and ran it out a separate audio channel. You got to love having rehearsal time!

SC

Return to posts index

Andy Mees
on Jun 2, 2010 at 3:25:00 am

Hi Tamsyn

You can't view more than 1 timeline at any given time but you can view 2 track's within a timeline by using the Playhead Sync > Gang mode ... so you can nest your 3 sequences into a single sequence as 3 separate video tracks, then use Gang sync to scrub or play through and view any 2 of the clips side by side (one in the Viewer window and one in the Canvas window).

Another alternative, for easily viewing all 3 sequences simultaneously (or indeed, for viewing potentially up to 16 sequences simultaneously) would be to export a Quicktime Reference movie for each sequence you want to compare, and then use FCP's "Make Multiclip" feature to group and then view them in 1up, 4up, 9up or 16up display in the Viewer.

Hope it helps
Andy

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]