FORUMS: list search recent posts

Batch capture from D5-HD crashes FCP

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Drew Lahat
Batch capture from D5-HD crashes FCP
on May 31, 2010 at 6:39:14 pm

Hi,

I've been trying to capture properly from a Panasonic AJ-HD3700B deck with no success. I can control the deck fine for log&capture, but batch capture either hangs or crashes. In some attempts I get an eternal spinning wheel right after the capture preview window appears, sometimes FCP will crash right there; other times it starts capturing the first clip but keeps capturing after the OUT point, as if the process that oversees the capture hanged. I may or may not be able to abort.

Capturing on the fly as "uncontrollable device" works just fine (all other settings being identical).

I don't have access to the system right now so I can't post crash logs, but they seem to vary.

Specs:
2009 Mac Pro 8-core w/ 12GB RAM
Kona3 card in slot 3 (FC HBA in slot 2), latest 7.5.1 driver
Panasonic AJ-HD3700B deck
FCP 6.0.6 on Snow Leopard (QT 10.0)
Promise 16TB direct-attached fiber array, tested 270MB/s write.
720p60 8-bit uncompressed project with 30-base timecode, Panasonic device control.

Attempted:
Restarts, complete power cycle
Ran all Mac software updates
Trashed prefs
Reinstalled Kona drivers

The only thing I haven't tried yet is to fiddle with the deck's menus. I should confirm MODE-1 or 2, but what's the correct DEV.ID? Haven't tried non-Panny presets either.

Return to posts index

Drew Lahat
Re: Batch capture from D5-HD crashes FCP
on Jun 14, 2010 at 11:42:58 pm

No responses, but it looks like most threads about FCP capture crashing are left unanswered. So maybe this will help:

After plenty of troubleshooting (and an hour on the phone with Panasonic's helpful Greg Boren), I've been looking in the wrong direction. This is not a deck control problem, it's a file I/O or codec problem.

Nothing fixed the issue until I tried to capture ProRes instead of Uncompressed. So troubleshooting the Promise and the QT/FCP installation will be the next step.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]