FORUMS: list search recent posts

4:3 to 16:9 fix

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jacob Harkins
4:3 to 16:9 fix
on May 30, 2010 at 5:01:39 am

Hi I'm new to creative cow, but i've been using FCP for sometime now and i've never run into this problem before.

I've been given a job where the previous editor produced a sold well done SD copy for the client about 2 years ago. Now that the clients business has taken off, he wants to converted all this old SD files into HD quality Blu-ray... He has shot all his footage with a Sony HVR-Z1U HDV Camcorder and a Sony Handycam HDR-SR12 Camcorder, both set to 1080i so the footage is HD quality.

Note: The whole project was Set up and edited in SD so even the clips are 4:3 cropped already.

So I was wondering if there was away to convert the SD 4:3 back to HD 16:9

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
Re: 4:3 to 16:9 fix
on May 30, 2010 at 3:12:02 pm

[Jacob Harkins] "So I was wondering if there was away to convert the SD 4:3 back to HD 16:9 "
Sure, blowing the picture up.
The result will depend on the quality of the SD master, and on the system you use to do the upscaling.

If you have the original HD rushes, go with that.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on May 30, 2010 at 6:05:12 pm

[Jacob Harkins] "so the footage is HD quality"
The footage was HD quality.

The best way to do this is with hardware. The AJA Kona 3 can do a good job and it will just take the center of the image so it will be 16:9 movie on the other end. I do this type of thing with two systems, the SD goes out using the IoHD to my Kona3 card which is doing the up converting. If the footage is not super sharp it falls apart pretty quickly.

The client should be aware that they will not have HD/BluRay quality, they will have up converted SD, unless they go back to the original footage.

This is an example of why HD should be edited as HD even if the use today is going to be SD.

Return to posts index

John Fishback
on May 30, 2010 at 8:02:40 pm

Was the SD show made from down-converted HD clips? Are those the same HD clips you're referring to? If so, you might be able to copy your sequence to a HD sequence and reconnect to the HD clips. You might have to remove attributes from the clips in the HD seq. I've never done this. Rafael & Michael might have better information than I.

John

MacPro 8-core 2.8GHz 8 GB RAM OS 10.5.8 QT7.6.4 Kona 3 Dual Cinema 23 ATI Radeon HD 3870, 24" TV-Logic Monitor, ATTO ExpressSAS R380 RAID Adapter, PDE enclosure with 8-drive 6TB RAID 5
FCS 3 (FCP 7.0.2, Motion 4.0.2, Comp 3.5.2, DVDSP 4.2.2, Color 1.5.2)

Pro Tools HD w SYNC IO & 192 Digital I/O, Yamaha DM1000, Millennia Media HV-3C, Neumann U87, Schoeps Mk41 mics, Genelec Monitors, PrimaLT ISDN

Return to posts index

Jacob Harkins
on May 31, 2010 at 8:53:27 am

Yah as much as i didn't want to hear i "couldn't actually just make the SD clips HD ones and have the same crisp 16:9 as the other video's I've done." I knew this was going to happen had braced my self for the worst and had already started from scratch re-use the HD clips instead. =(

Well about the only thing i can do to keep it from being a upgraded SD copy is to start over from scratch and just use the HD clips... why this guy who edited it in the first place down graded HD to SD is beyond me, just make my job that much harder.

Thanks for the help guys.

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on May 31, 2010 at 11:36:59 pm

It is only harder if you are not charging for the time spent recapturing and there is no reason not to be charging.

In the end doing things the right way is often the quickest, even if it seems like you are wasting a lot of time.

Return to posts index

Jacob Harkins
on Jun 1, 2010 at 2:05:16 am

Very true which is why I had already started taking the HD footage and re-laying those to the SD master, since I was 90% sure there was no other way to do so. I just wanted to make absolutly sure there wasn't another way I did not know about incase this issue reacures at a later time.

Thanks for all your input and help. I really aprecate it.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]