FORUMS: list search recent posts

Aiff syncing problems FCP

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gethin Aldous
Aiff syncing problems FCP
on May 29, 2010 at 7:50:57 pm

So I have been finding solutions here, to every problem I have had for the last 9 months of editing a series shot on the Canon EOS5D markii. Thanks for that. Ones you didn't have the answer too, I worked out.

But this sucker has me stumped.

I shot the series on the 5d so at 30fps (not 29.97 it was before the update). We cut the series at 30fps and made each episode 1 second and 10 frames shorter so when we changed the frame rate of the final cut to 29.97 with cinema tools it was 22 minutes dead.

Long story short I need to deliver my final deliverables with a bunch off aiffs and a BWAV that will sync. I export the aiffs from fcp and they are exactly the same length as the final .mov file (when opened in quicktime) but when I pull the aiff's back in to fcp they are a different length. ie final the 1 second 10 frames is back. My sequence is drop frame, does fcp have a problem with that. I even tried it on my AVID at that made it the wrong length too.

Help me creative cow you are my last hope!

Return to posts index

Bouke Vahl
Re: Aiff syncing problems FCP
on May 30, 2010 at 9:50:15 am

So if i get you right:
You have sequences that are fine, and export Audio only from those sequences, and they have different lenghts when you import them?

I've heard this one before, and it seemed a bug in FCP.
From memory, the trick was to export, then open / save in another app or something alike.
So,
Toy around with all the tools you have.
SoundTrack Pro, QT pro, all can export AIFF as well.
Even my (free) QTchance application (download from my site)
can export the sound of a QT as BWAF.

Testing with Avid is a very good idea, as avid is way more robust in these kind of things than FCP.

The bug may be related to drop/non drop, but it's not a math problem.
You can always switch to non-drop, export as QT, then remove the QT TC in QT change, then add a fresh Drop QT tc track.

hth,

Bouke

http://www.videotoolshed.com/
smart tools for video pros

Return to posts index

Gethin Aldous
on May 31, 2010 at 6:38:21 pm

Thanks for your response.

"So if i get you right: You have sequences that are fine, and export Audio only from those sequences, and they have different lengths when you import them? " - yes that is correct.

Here where it gets weird, when you import to FCP in the viewer the time of the AIFF is 00.24.30.00, when it hits the timeline it is 24.31.16. When I import the aiff into AVID it arrives at 24.31.16 when I import it into soundtrack pro it is 24.30.00. ie not lengthened.

I have exported the aiff to an new aiff from quicktime pro and it still does the same thing.

I am very confused.

Return to posts index

Gethin Aldous
on May 31, 2010 at 10:40:42 pm

I like to start by saying Bouke Vahl is a genius. The only reason I needed to do this in the first place was to make a BWAV file so I could layback track 3&4 on an HDCAM tape and know for sure that it was in sync.

So this was my solution. Export the audio from final cut pro as a movie file (export to quicktime movie) but blank out all the video tracks so the file output has the timecode embedded but is fast and is small (ish. It is still 4 times the size of an aiff). Then I take that file into Bouke Vahl's QTchange program and use that to extrack the audio as a bwf. And bingo when I import it into avid it now syncs up. It still does the same nonsense as before in FCP but I don't really care.

By the way I am using FCP 6.04 so this bug may be fixed in the new version.

Bouke, thanks so much.

Return to posts index

Katherine Sweetman
on Dec 23, 2010 at 12:35:54 am

Not a bug, at least not one that's been fixed.
We're using FCP 7, and this still happens.

If editing video that's 24fps and audio that's 23.98 or 29.97 even when you get it to "look" in sync on the timeline, when you export and re-import the audio it's shortened again!

I don't understand this at all. Is it a bug? Does anyone have any logic for it?

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Dec 23, 2010 at 1:22:43 am

This will help explain the "feature" Apple don't see it as a bug.

http://library.creativecow.net/lyon_matt/fixing-fcp-assets/1

Second part explains all. First part is how to fix already imported audio. Second part outlines why and how to import without creating the problem

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]