FORUMS: list search recent posts

MPEG Streamclip - ProRes 422 HQ codec problem

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tolu Oluwadiya
MPEG Streamclip - ProRes 422 HQ codec problem
on May 29, 2010 at 5:29:51 pm

Hey out there,
Sorry this is my first post if there is anything I leave out that someone needs for clarification, please let me know.

I am transcoding footage shot on 3 Canon cameras (1D, 5D & 7D). I wanted to transcode to ProRes 422 HD, but when I did a test run on one of them, it had a kind of 'lag' during playback in QT. I then did a test run with the LT and 444 codecs and those played back fine. I know most people say LT is just as good, but the dir/prod want the 444, but will also take HQ. I'm just wondering why the 422 HQ has that lag, I am going ahead and just doing 444, but I would rather do HQ to keep down file/clip size.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Again, if there's any more info you need to clarify the question, please let me know and thanks in advance for the help

Return to posts index

Jerry Hofmann
Re: MPEG Streamclip - ProRes 422 HQ codec problem
on May 29, 2010 at 6:07:24 pm

Post more about your system. OS, versions of FCP and QuickTime you're running and on which machine/disk array?

Jerry

Apple Certified Trainer, Producer, Writer, Director Editor, Gun for Hire and other things. I ski.

8-Core 3.0 Intel Mac Pro, Dual 2 gig G5, AJA Kona SD, AJA Kona 2, Huge Systems Array UL3D, AJA Io HD, 17" MBP, Matrox MXO2 with MAX Cinema Displays

Return to posts index

Tolu Oluwadiya
on May 29, 2010 at 6:18:56 pm

Post more about your system. OS, versions of FCP and QuickTime you're running and on which machine/disk array?

The transcoding is more so for sound sync, than the actual edit, so it is being done on a Macbook Pro Snow Leopard 10.6, FCP 7, QT

Oh also, I ran a test through compressor, same settings, and it didn't have that lag, but I want to use Streamclip because it's faster and Compressor only allows a limited amount of clips to be done at once when I tried it

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on May 29, 2010 at 7:45:09 pm

You don't need HQ for anything less than 2K footage. It seems that you and your dir/prod are both making the same mistake in assuming that standard ProRes is for SD material and HQ and 444 are for HD. Plain vanilla ProRes is what you need and it's apparently the highest throughput your system and hard drives are capable to playing back without dropping frames.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

EPK Colorist - UP IN THE AIR - nominated for six academy awards

A forum host of Creative COW's Apple Final Cut Pro, Business & Marketing, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

Tolu Oluwadiya
on May 29, 2010 at 7:48:59 pm

You don't need HQ for anything less than 2K footage. It seems that you and your dir/prod are both making the same mistake in assuming that standard ProRes is for SD material and HQ and 444 are for HD. Plain vanilla ProRes is what you need and it's apparently the highest throughput your system and hard drives are capable to playing back without dropping frames.

-----------------------

Thanks, yea I realize this, I was originally just going to do plain ProRes, but again, out of my hands. They want either HQ or higher

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on May 29, 2010 at 8:23:20 pm

[Tolu Oluwadiya] "They want either HQ or higher"

And you can't tell them that it is too much? That it is ILL ADVISED? That 3 experts told you not to use it? ProRes 4444 is mainly for graphics, or for duel channel outputs. HQ is for high end 10-bit and 2K formats. Canon DSLR footage will not benefit in ANY WAY in going ProRes HQ, or 4444, over using plain ProRes 422.

If they INSIST on the higher end format, then you need a higher end machine and hard drives to play it back. Thus more money out of their pocket. Sure, they can get what they want, it just costs more.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Tolu Oluwadiya
on May 29, 2010 at 9:00:10 pm

Yea pretty much, but that's why I was trying to figure out why I couldn't play back HQ, but I could 444 when I tested it

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]