FORUMS: list search recent posts

Slow Mac

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dan Archer
Slow Mac
on May 28, 2010 at 6:42:51 pm

my Mac seems to be slow at everything it does. I sat on a comparable unit the other day and it sped along like no tomorrow Heres a rundown of my system. Any Ideas as to what I should Check
Thanks in advance.

Model Name: Mac Pro
Model Identifier: MacPro3,1
Processor Name: Quad-Core Intel Xeon
Processor Speed: 3.2 GHz
Number Of Processors: 2
Total Number Of Cores: 8
L2 Cache (per processor): 12 MB
Memory: 16 GB
Bus Speed: 1.6 GHz
Boot ROM Version: MP31.006C.B05
SMC Version (system): 1.25f4

Drive

ATTO ExpressSAS R380:

Name: pci117c,2c
Type: RAID Controller
Driver Installed: Yes
Bus: PCI
Slot: Slot-4
Vendor ID: 0x117c
Device ID: 0x002c
Subsystem Vendor ID: 0x117c
Subsystem ID: 0x002c
Revision ID: 0x0000
Link Width: x4
Link Speed: 2.5 GT/s

A cut is a cut & a dissolve is a disolve, and not just anybody with a system is a pro.

Return to posts index

Sascha Engel
Re: Slow Mac
on May 28, 2010 at 8:31:31 pm

Mmmm, the force is strong in your machine - I wish I had a beast like that - it should run like Ben Johnson.
There's so many reason for a system slow down - here's a list of things you can try - in that order.
Let me know, if anything worked.

1.) Make sure you have no doc, files and folder on the Desktop - slows down the system

2.) Download the application "Applejack" - then restart your computer, pressing Command + "s" and then type "applejack auto reboot" - it will check all your extensions, hierachies and clears out caches.

3.) Do you have your internal disk partitioned in different disks? Best is this: 1 Disk for all application and system 2 Disk for all data and files 3 A small partition to make it the SWAP file disk (allocating virtual memory for the system). If the SWAP file is on a seperate partition, it speeds up the business.

Did anything help, let me know.

Sascha

Return to posts index

Dan Archer
on Jun 1, 2010 at 10:35:48 pm

Sascha, thanks for the tips I think AppleJack did the trick i can import stuff fast as ever again. Many thanks.

A cut is a cut & a dissolve is a disolve, and not just anybody with a system is a pro.

Return to posts index

Heath Alseike
on Jun 2, 2010 at 4:15:54 pm

I am having the same problem with the same machine. I knew about the not keeping stuff on the desktop part. However that got me thinking, the profile's desktop I am working on is all cleaned up. If there is another profile on the same computer with stuff on its desktop do you think that might be slowing me down or have no effect?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]