FORUMS: list search recent posts

Can I type in Word while watching the viewer

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
James Bayliss-Smith
Can I type in Word while watching the viewer
on May 28, 2010 at 9:21:38 am

I want to log some footage that I have in Final cut pro with Timecode. Is there any way I can type into a word document while watching some footage in the viewer with out it stopping every time I click out side of Final Cut Pro?

Thanks in advance

Return to posts index

Jerry Hofmann
Re: Can I type in Word while watching the viewer
on May 28, 2010 at 10:58:39 am

Not on the same machine. You'd need a laptop or other mac for the word processing I'm afraid.

Jerry

Apple Certified Trainer, Producer, Writer, Director Editor, Gun for Hire and other things. I ski.

8-Core 3.0 Intel Mac Pro, Dual 2 gig G5, AJA Kona SD, AJA Kona 2, Huge Systems Array UL3D, AJA Io HD, 17" MBP, Matrox MXO2 with MAX Cinema Displays

Return to posts index

James Bayliss-Smith
on May 28, 2010 at 11:41:53 am

Hi Jerry, thanks for your response. Do you know the reason why? With Final Cut 7 you can run compressor in the background from a timeline without even exporting a quicktime movie first. It seems astonishing to me that one cannot run word while working on Final Cut. What is the logic behind this? Also do you know a tool within Final cut Pro where I can write a long note while watching footage in the viewer as this is basically all I need then I can cut and paste. Or do you know how to get Quicktime to display time code as this would also solve my problem. I don't want to have to export all my footage with burnt in timecode using compressor. Any workarounds would be great, I really want to be able to log in real time without having to stop the video to often.

Thanks

James

Return to posts index

Jerry Hofmann
Re: Downconverting
on May 28, 2010 at 11:44:51 am

I'm guessing that the computer needs a ton of resources just to play the video, and if you don't tie them up by having FCP be the active app, it just won't play the video.

Compressing with compressor in the background isn't as resource intensive as it may seem. I really think we'll see rendering in FCP go to the background pretty soon too...next gen software maybe?

That said, you could play clips in a quicktime player window at the same time.

Jerry

Apple Certified Trainer, Producer, Writer, Director Editor, Gun for Hire and other things. I ski.

8-Core 3.0 Intel Mac Pro, Dual 2 gig G5, AJA Kona SD, AJA Kona 2, Huge Systems Array UL3D, AJA Io HD, 17" MBP, Matrox MXO2 with MAX Cinema Displays

Return to posts index

cowcowcowcowcow
Tom Wolsky
on May 28, 2010 at 11:52:15 am

Use the QuickTime 7 player and right-click in the time display to select timecode.

All the best,

Tom

Class on Demand DVDs "Complete Training for FCP7," "Basic Training for FCS" and "Final Cut Express Made Easy"
Author: "Final Cut Pro 5 Editing Essentials" and "Final Cut Express 4 Editing Workshop"

Return to posts index

andy lewis
on May 28, 2010 at 5:29:34 pm

Would like to know if there's an answer to this one.

If you open the stickies application and select note-floating window, you get a window that stays on top of fcp all the time. This has been useful for me, especially for scripts, but it does stop playback.

I'd also like to be able to edit markers on the fly. Ho hum.

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on May 30, 2010 at 3:24:04 pm

See Tom's answer. That's the way to go.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Editor, Colorist, Director, Writer, Consultant, Author, Chef.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

"Foul Water, Fiery Serpent" featuring Sigourney Weaver coming soon.

Blog Twitter Facebook

Return to posts index

Chris Guevarra
on Nov 5, 2010 at 11:03:43 pm

You guys are pretty crafty

Thanks,
Chris Guevarra
seekingasianfemale.com
massmovementtv.blogspot.com

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Nov 5, 2010 at 11:55:32 pm

Perhaps Word is the problem. I had text edit open recently on my second monitor and FCP open on the other. I wasn't typing into text edit but I was scrolling it whilst FCP was playing.

In this case I was comparing an EDL to FCP and the Color timeline. Swapping between Color and FCP obviously stops either playing as they fight over the Kona display. And at one stage I had text edit, Color and Quicktime open. I was able to play Qt, scroll the EDL and also jump to shots in Color (with the Tangent Wave controller, not the keyboard).

However, tom's idea of logging with Qt displaying t/c seems the most elegant.

Return to posts index

James Bayliss-Smith
on Nov 6, 2010 at 5:27:37 am

Hi Guys, thanks for all the responses to my original post. I've been using http://www.inqscribe.com/ to do this, it's great.

Return to posts index

Noam Osband
on Feb 4, 2011 at 5:57:24 pm

I'm thinking of spring for Inqscribe although there are a few other programs as well. Has anyone used more than 1 and have a preference?

Return to posts index

James Bayliss-Smith
on Feb 5, 2011 at 1:16:21 am

Hi Noam what do you mean by Spring? The season or is this something else?

James

Return to posts index

Noam Osband
on Feb 5, 2011 at 4:12:56 am

Oh - I meant I'm thinking of springing for Inqscribe. Anyone have thoughts on this program or another?

Return to posts index

Carey Ann Strelecki
on Sep 27, 2011 at 4:22:56 pm

Just checked out inqscribe and I'm really impressed. Thanks for suggesting. I hated typing timecode all the time while logging.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]