FORUMS: list search recent posts

Frame/Field Accurate Layoff to DVCProHD

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brian Swanson
Frame/Field Accurate Layoff to DVCProHD
on May 27, 2010 at 9:04:21 pm

We are considering purchasing a deck and are hoping to solve a problem in the process. We edit and layback to tape with a Panasonic DVCProHD AJ-HD1400 (rented), Final Cut Pro 6.0.6, AJA Kona 3 (software versions from 6.0-7.5 depending on the computer), and AJA GEN10 for video reference. We have two problems with that system that may be deck related.

1. We cannot be sure that our layoffs will be both field or frame accurate. We are often off by a frame or two in either direction and sometimes off by a field, which is a big problem. We've tried compensating by off-setting our layoff, but the problem is inconsistent and we only know if it worked when the layoff is done. For hour-long shows that is a pretty big problem!

2. We cannot insert unless both in and out points are in the black (like between acts). This is both because of problem #1 and because our out point usually gets some kind of hit or a black frame.

My question is this: do we have this problem because the AJ-HD1400 is not as frame-accurate as the 1700 or 1800? Is there some other hitch in our system? It is critical that we are able to make frame and field accurate layoffs. Any help appreciated. Thanks!

Return to posts index

Jerry Hofmann
Re: Frame/Field Accurate Layoff to DVCProHD
on May 28, 2010 at 11:13:15 am

If you're using firewire as your connection to the deck, it's not frame accurate... needs to be an RS-422 deck that's calibrated with your system for this to work right.

Jerry

Apple Certified Trainer, Producer, Writer, Director Editor, Gun for Hire and other things. I ski.

8-Core 3.0 Intel Mac Pro, Dual 2 gig G5, AJA Kona SD, AJA Kona 2, Huge Systems Array UL3D, AJA Io HD, 17" MBP, Matrox MXO2 with MAX Cinema Displays

Return to posts index

Brian Swanson
on May 28, 2010 at 6:23:16 pm

Right. We have been using the RS-422 interface from our AJA Kona 3 and still have this problem with consistency.

Return to posts index

Trevor Asquerthian
on Sep 25, 2010 at 5:26:56 am

I don't know that particular deck but I do know that lots of people have mentioned frame accuracy problems when laying to tape with FCP.

One way to avoid waiting through the whole layback is to record elsewhere the characters output from the VTR when you make the edit - you can then check that it starts on a round number.

Return to posts index

Brian Swanson
on Oct 6, 2010 at 12:44:46 am

That's a great tip! Thanks for the help!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]