I have been working on a DV PAL sequence to cut the offline of a doc that we are doing for UK TV.
The footage is a mixture of DigiBeta (captured at DV PAL), DV footage, HDV footage (captured at HDV) and XDCAM EX footage (tansferred from the card).
The sequence is going to a post house who have a capture card equipped Mac (not sure if it is AJA or Black Magic or something else - I can find that out). They are going to output an SD master from their FCP suite, that will go in to Baselight for a grade
I used to do a fair bit of FCP online and there was a workflow where you copied the sequence in to a new project and then did the Media Manager thing, and that avoided re-capturing mountains of extra footage. I can't quite remember the details.
What I am wondering is if there is a way of re-capturing only the Digi footage, and holding on to the HDV footage and DV footage as already digitized.
Basically I have used the extra resolution in the HDV frame to zoom in on clips in my DV sequence, and it would be a shame to lose those keyframes etc if the HDV footage is re-conformed at SD. Does that make sense?
I thought I might have to put all the digi footage on one track of the sequence and get them to conform that, and then copy all the HDV and native DV media on to their storage, so they have access to the HDV and DV footage.
If I have got the cart before the horse, please forgive me, As I say, it is a while since I was involved in an FCP online, having been working in Avid-land for the past few years!
If you only want to upres the digibeta, I would suggest this workflow:
1) Make a new project with just your final sequence
2) duplicate final sequence
3) Make a new bin and name it Media
4) Highlight all video in the sequence and drag to the Media bin
5) In the Media bin, select all digibeta and color it using labels, take off all other colors.
6) Using the toggle clip keyframes button in the bottom left of your timeline window, you should be able to see what is digibeta footage.
7) Move all the digibeta to it's own track.
8) Media manage your sequence using using copy to move all the media to a new folder but delete unused media.
9) In your newly created sequence, everything should be online. Select all the digibeta clips in the timeline and take the media offline.
10) batch capture the digibeta footage
Now you're DV footage and HDV footage have all been moved over to the new online project and you can capture the digibeta in whatever codec you want.