FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCP Pro Res Codecs and Sony EX3 etc

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Russell Bramlett
FCP Pro Res Codecs and Sony EX3 etc
on May 25, 2010 at 9:04:24 pm

Useing Sony Cinemon to recover corrupted Sony EX3 files, my partner saved out video files that were originally native 1080 30P from Sony Ex3, to self contained ProRes422LT files. We then edited from these ProRes422LT files. Are these files now a lower quality then the originals, as stands to reason to me?

Also, if we take these files and output them to ProRes422HQ and/or ProRes444 and/or back to the native 1080 30P EX file format, will we have ended up losing resolution relative to our initial choice to save out source files as self contained ProRess422LT files.

This codec and resolution question has come up for me in a number of context. As I understand it ProRes has a number of advantages in terms requiring less processor power during editing, rendering etc, but what happens when you switch back and forth as we did in my example?

Anyone have feedback on this codec question/s?

Return to posts index

John Fishback
Re: FCP Pro Res Codecs and Sony EX3 etc
on May 25, 2010 at 9:19:38 pm

Moving from LT to a higher-quality form of ProRes will do nothing in the way of improving the quality. I'm not familiar with the Sony workflow, but with P2 for instance, you can re-transfer files from MXF to QT as long as you have the original MXFs. Do you have your original media off the cards? Probably not possible due to the corruption issue. Unless you can recover again and this time go to ProRes422 (HQ is overkill and may introduce other issues). I'd try that with only one or two clips (if that's possible) to see if they sync up properly before doing an entire batch.

John

MacPro 8-core 2.8GHz 8 GB RAM OS 10.5.8 QT7.6.4 Kona 3 Dual Cinema 23 ATI Radeon HD 3870, 24" TV-Logic Monitor, ATTO ExpressSAS R380 RAID Adapter, PDE enclosure with 8-drive 6TB RAID 5
FCS 3 (FCP 7.0.2, Motion 4.0.2, Comp 3.5.2, DVDSP 4.2.2, Color 1.5.2)

Pro Tools HD w SYNC IO & 192 Digital I/O, Yamaha DM1000, Millennia Media HV-3C, Neumann U87, Schoeps Mk41 mics, Genelec Monitors, PrimaLT ISDN

Return to posts index

Ron Pestes
on May 25, 2010 at 9:27:11 pm

You should not have taken a quality hit using LT. I have used it several times and could not tell the diffence from the original. Remember that the EX-3 records at 35 mbps whereas Prores LT handles upto 102 mbps. No worries!

Apple Certified Master Pro FCS 2
Sony EX-3
MacBook Pro

Return to posts index

Russell Bramlett
on May 26, 2010 at 8:05:11 pm

Thanks Ron,

What we ended up doing was to reconnect the clips to recovered source files that were 1080 30P, and then we are dropping them into ProRes422HQ for render out to source clips for web compression. Overkill? Any other thoughts?

Return to posts index

Russell Bramlett
on May 26, 2010 at 8:03:45 pm

Thanks John,

Re your response: "ProRes422 (HQ is overkill and may introduce other issues). I'd try that with only one or two clips (if that's possible) to see if they sync up properly before doing an entire batch."

What we did was reconnect the clips to recovered source files that were 1080 30P, and then we are dropping them into ProRes422HQ sequences for render out to source clips for web compression. Given your response above, I presume their should be no sync issues with this work flow (?)

Any other thoughts?

Thanks,

Russell

Return to posts index

Ron Pestes
on May 26, 2010 at 8:49:53 pm

Hmm, personally I think that HQ is overkill and adding a lot of render time. However if you have the time it won't hurt anything that I can see. Good Luck!

Apple Certified Master Pro FCS 2
Sony EX-3
MacBook Pro

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]