FORUMS: list search recent posts

'combs teeth' lines in HD footage

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rachel Fletcher
'combs teeth' lines in HD footage
on May 25, 2010 at 6:59:02 pm

Hi
I've been struggling with this issue for a while now and I can't seem to find the source of it. Whenever I import any HD footage to FCP I end up with these 'lines' in the picture. I've heard them referred to as 'combs teeth' lines and they give the video a shimmery effect. They are especially apparent when there is motion. I don't have an external monitor to the view footage so I can barely pick up on the lines when I'm editing but when I watch the video on TV it almost unbearable to watch because the lines are so bad.

At first I thought my chroma levels might be too high, I lowered those and it seemed to help a little but not much. Is this an interlacing problem? Or possibly a problem with my camera? The videos I'm working on are all intended for TV.

any suggestions as to what is causing this would be greatly appreciated!

-Rachel

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
Re: 'combs teeth' lines in HD footage
on May 25, 2010 at 7:11:25 pm

There are many flavors of HD these days. You need to tell us the exact one you are working with. HDV, Flip Camera, AVCHD, etc. Is the video 720 or 1080? What is the frame rate? 24, 29, 30, etc. Your sequence settings. How you are exporting?

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Vice President
Chicago Final Cut Pro Users Group

Return to posts index

Mitch Greene
on Apr 19, 2013 at 2:09:10 am

Hey, I am having the same problem. I am using 1080i with a frame rate of 29.97i. I am uploading from the camera directly through final cut pro. It always has the combs teeth. Any ideas? Is it just that the computer is too slow to process it?

Return to posts index

Richard Cooper
on May 25, 2010 at 7:17:34 pm

Hi Rachel,

What flavor of HD footage are you working with? (HDACAM, P2 DVCPROHD, XDCAM,DSLR, HDV, Flip cam?) and how are you getting the footage into your edit suite? If you are trans-coding from P2, SxS or DSLR to another format there may be a problem with your workflow, if you are capturing through a Kona or simmilar i/o card there could be other issues.

Give us your work-flow, I am sure someone cam pinpoint your problem.

Richard Cooper
FrostLine Productions, LLC
Anchorage, Alaska
http://www.frostlineproductions.com

Return to posts index

Rachel Fletcher
on May 25, 2010 at 8:40:21 pm

The footage is all HDV and I'm importing it from my camera into FCP 7.
Sequence setting: HDV 1080i60
Capture setting: HDV
Frame size: 1440 x 1080
Rate: 29.97

Should I be importing things differently? I haven't been doing any transcoding.

Return to posts index

Arnie Schlissel
on May 25, 2010 at 7:49:06 pm

Do you mean interlacing?

If so that's normal. You should use an external video monitor connected to a capture card if you want to see interlaced video in it's proper state.

Arnie

Post production is not an afterthought!
http://www.arniepix.com/

Return to posts index

Rachel Fletcher
on May 26, 2010 at 12:05:52 am

I've made DVDs of the footage and watched it on a TV and I still see the lines. When I export the video from Final Cut I just use current settings. I just tried Compressing the file with Quicktime H.264 settings and the lines disappeared. However, now there is a weird jumpiness to the video.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on May 26, 2010 at 4:36:11 pm

[Rachel Fletcher]
"The footage is all HDV and I'm importing it from my camera into FCP 7.
Sequence setting: HDV 1080i60
Capture setting: HDV
Frame size: 1440 x 1080
Rate: 29.97...
I've made DVDs of the footage and watched it on a TV and I still see the lines. When I export the video from Final Cut I just use current"

This sounds like a problem with field order; FCP incorrectly calls it field dominance. The field order for 1080i is upper field first. Your FCP edit timeline should also be upper field first. I'd double-check the field order of the edit timeline, and of the clips in the browser.

If they match, and you then make a DVD, the problem should go away.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Rachel Fletcher
on May 26, 2010 at 12:39:38 am

Here is an example of the weird lines I'm getting, and its worse when there is movement.

Return to posts index

varun saxena
on May 26, 2010 at 11:53:53 am

U can try de-interlace filter.

Return to posts index

Richard Cooper
on May 26, 2010 at 7:36:51 pm

Hi Rachel,
Definitely interlacing you are seeing. It should look fine playing on a TV from a DVD but not on a computer monitor... if all things are correct.
You say "...when I watch the video on TV it almost unbearable to watch because the lines are so bad...."

I think Dave L. nailed it. If you are seeing these on a standard TV, playing from DVD you may have a field dominance (Field order) issue. The 1080i time line wants upper fields first and your HDV footage wants it lower first you will have problems.... Once you do what Dave suggests and change the field order you should see this problem go away.

Good Luck!

Richard Cooper
FrostLine Productions, LLC
Anchorage, Alaska
http://www.frostlineproductions.com

Return to posts index

Rachel Fletcher
on May 26, 2010 at 10:37:17 pm

I double checked these settings and they were all set to upper field dominance. Any other ideas? Could this possibly be a problem due to the fact I am importing/exporting footage via my camera instead of a deck? I spoke with one other person and they said there might be an issue with camera chip sensor. Thanks everyone for their input.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on May 27, 2010 at 2:20:18 pm

There's one last possibility: your footage was shot progressive-scan.

If it's true, hold out your wrist so we can slap it for not telling us sooner.

Set the field order to None (or whatever FCP calls it) for both footage and FCP edit timeline.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Larry Lach
on Jan 16, 2011 at 5:29:09 pm

Hi folks. Last year I bought a Samsung digital memory camcorder. Not HD or extra special in any way. I have preferred to use my older Sony digital still camera (also does video) instead because the Samsung slices and shifts all vertical lines in the image creating the "combs teeth" effect. The faster the motion the more shifting occures. My Sony does not do this but it eats batteries voraciously. I have seen many youtube videos that display the "combs teeth" effect so I know that I am not the only one suffering from this. Has technology taken a giant leap backwards or are we not using our equipment properly? I should not have to be an engineer to use these things. Please Help!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]