FORUMS: list search recent posts

Text and Motion in DV Quality

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Pedro Saboya Burgos
Text and Motion in DV Quality
on May 25, 2010 at 6:01:24 pm

Hi, first of all, sorry for any english mistakes.

I'm editing a 8-minute video, recorded in somewhat poor quality and the sequence is set to NTSC DV using DV/DVCPRO - NTSC compressor. No problems there.

The problem is that, when I import some titles I've made in Motion, the title is imported with a huge quality loss. I expected some quality loss, but not so much.

I'd like to know if there's a way to import titles (or any kind of graphs) to DV preserving the best quality I can, or if this loss is something I'll just have to live with until people stop using DV.

ps: I exported the titles from Motion in Lossless/Alpha, since I wanted to preserve the alpha background.

Thanks,
Cheers from Brazil

Pedro Saboya Burgos
Video Editor

Return to posts index

Rob Grauert
Re: Text and Motion in DV Quality
on May 25, 2010 at 6:45:55 pm

Change your timeline compressor to ProRes422. Of course, if you export out to MiniDV tape, your graphics will be subject to DV compression. But if you export a Quicktime Movie at current settings, it will encode as ProRes422

Rob Grauert, Jr.
http://www.robgrauert.com
command-r.tumblr.com

Return to posts index

Rob Grauert
on May 25, 2010 at 6:46:47 pm

Also, if they are looking worse than you expected, be sure you have rendered your timeline fully. And are you looking at a reference monitor or your computer monitor?

Rob Grauert, Jr.
command-r.tumblr.com

Return to posts index

Pedro Saboya Burgos
on May 25, 2010 at 7:02:12 pm

Thank you for replying!

I'm using my computer monitor, an Apple LED Cinema Display. But I'm pretty sure it's not a matter of using a reference monitor...

I remember a few days ago I tried to change the timeline settings to Apple Prores 422(hq), although I still had substancial loss in the quality of the Motion titles.

I'll try it again tomorrow when I get to work, since your advice made total sense to me as well, I was puzzled when it didn't work...

ps: for the record, I checked the quality of the Motion Title File and it's good.

Pedro Saboya Burgos
Video Editor

Return to posts index

Rob Grauert
on May 25, 2010 at 7:32:00 pm

You don't need ProRes HQ if all your footage is DV. That's overkill.

If you change it to regular ProRes and you are still seeing quality issues, my guess would be that is IS indeed a monitoring issue.

Rob Grauert, Jr.
command-r.tumblr.com

Return to posts index

Pedro Saboya Burgos
on May 26, 2010 at 5:21:29 pm

Hi!
Turns out apple prores worked fine when I exported the quicktime. In the sequence, though, it changed almost nothing (and I checked for renders).

Thanks for the advice!

Pedro Saboya Burgos
Video Editor

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]