FORUMS: list search recent posts

Panasonic HMC150--Editing with my PowerBook G4

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Noah Graff
Panasonic HMC150--Editing with my PowerBook G4
on May 25, 2010 at 5:07:09 pm

I'm seriously thinking about buying a Panasonic HCM150, as I must graduate from my obsolete Sony PD170 immediately.

My computer is pretty weak I fear. I'm wondering if I will have enough power on my computer to edit footage semi smoothly.

167 Ghz PowerPC G4 (Powerbook G4 17")
2 GB DDR SDRAM
I'm running OS 10.5.8

The Internal Hard drive is getting kind of full too. I've got about 7 gigs right now to spare, although I'm sure I could clear some space.

Am I stupid to spend my money on this camera if I then don't have enough bread afterward to upgrade my editing equipment?

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
Re: Panasonic HMC150--Editing with my PowerBook G4
on May 25, 2010 at 5:41:22 pm

If you are a serious shooter/editor, I would consider the HPX-170. This camera will allow you to shoot in DVCPro (DV25), DVCPro50 or DVCPro100 (HD). The price is not to far off from the HMC-150.

The DVCPro codec will work just fine on your current PB.

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Vice President
Chicago Final Cut Pro Users Group

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Panasonic HMC150--Editing with my PowerBook G4
on May 25, 2010 at 5:44:35 pm

The HMC-150 requires that you transcode from AVCHD to ProRes, and the G4 Powerbook is severely crippled there. I'm not sure it is even possible. But, you can opt to import as Apple Intermediate too, but the quality isn't as good.

With that laptop, the HPX-170 would be a good choice. Built in P2 slot is also a bonus.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]