FORUMS: list search recent posts

What is WRONG with my MAC G5?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Christopher McDonell
What is WRONG with my MAC G5?
on May 24, 2010 at 10:06:26 pm

Hi all,

I've posted several times about a number of problems I've been having that remain unresolved and would like to appeal once more for any possible solutions. I have a 6 year old 2GHz PowerPC G5 with 4GB of RAM, running FCS 6.0.6 and OS 10.5.8. I must reiterate that, despite the computer's age, it was working just fine until a kernel panic in December that has since left the computer feeling sluggish, to say the least. I've performed a clean install (twice) of both the OS and FCS. I've bought new RAM and reseated in every possible way. I bought a new external harddrive (used to store my media) in case that was the culprit. I even took the computer and display into an Apple Store where they tested it for 2 days finding "nothing wrong with it". Yet even they couldn't get the "High" quality setting back in FCP. It defaults to medium now (unlike before). The computer's internal drive has 30% free space. The external more than 15%. And naturally, I've repaired permissions and trashed pref files, etc., with no results. Oh! And I've run the Hardware Diagnostics disk, twice, and everything passes.

In addition to loss of high quality playback for HDV 30p, FCP is dropping frames left and right during capture -- things it never did before. And I am now noticing performance problems outside of FCP. It takes the Finder forever to calculate file sizes, for instance. Then there's the sleep issue. If I put the computer to sleep, it crashes every single time with the fans coming on doing the jet engine thing...

I think I've found some suspicious items in the console logs. But I don't have a clue how to accurately read them or fix the problem. Can someone please help me?

The windowserver_last.log is full of the following:

May 21 10:57:47 [52] kCGErrorIllegalArgument: CGXGetWindowWorkspace: invalid window id: a2
May 21 10:58:33 [52] kCGErrorFailure: CGXDisableUpdate: UI updates were forcibly disabled by application "Final Cut Pro" for over 1 second. Server has re-enabled them.
May 21 10:59:42 [52] kCGErrorFailure: CGXDisableUpdate: UI updates were forcibly disabled by application "Final Cut Pro" for over 1 second. Server has re-enabled them.
May 21 11:03:52 [52] kCGErrorFailure: CGXDisableUpdate: UI updates were forcibly disabled by application "Final Cut Pro" for over 1 second. Server has re-enabled them.

Then there's these ones that keep popping up in the console or system logs:

24/05/10 1:47:43 PM /Applications/Final Cut Pro.app/Contents/MacOS/Final Cut Pro[115] _RemoveTimeTask(), the current time manager task 0x416c943c being removed is also currently executing its tmAddr routine, so unexpected things may result ( Radar #4555679 ).
24/05/10 1:48:39 PM Final Cut Pro[115] startDelayedNoDataDetection

(the startdelayed... is probably due to dropped frames during capture with stop/start detection on)

These ones are less frequent, but still showing up:

22/05/10 6:30:17 PM Dock[104] [QL ERROR] Generator database update takes too long... we will use what we currently have

May 17 16:22:07 macdaddys-power-mac-g5 Finder[100]: [QL ERROR] Generator database update takes too long... we will use what we currently have
May 18 08:56:18 macdaddys-power-mac-g5 Finder[96]: [QL ERROR] Generator database update takes too long... we will use what we currently have
May 18 13:03:07 macdaddys-power-mac-g5 Finder[101]: [QL ERROR] Generator database update takes too long... we will use what we currently have
May 19 11:47:56 macdaddys-power-mac-g5 Finder[112]: [QL ERROR] Generator database update takes too long... we will use what we currently have
May 19 14:31:15 macdaddys-power-mac-g5 /System/Library/CoreServices/Finder.app/Contents/MacOS/Finder[118]: StatusMonitor::volumesChangedCallBack returned -47
May 19 15:23:14 macdaddys-power-mac-g5 Finder[102]: [QL ERROR] Generator database update takes too long... we will use what we currently have
May 21 09:54:32 macdaddys-power-mac-g5 Finder[102]: [QL ERROR] Generator database update takes too long... we will use what we currently have
May 21 14:28:45 macdaddys-power-mac-g5 Finder[111]: [QL ERROR] Generator database update takes too long... we will use what we currently have

22/05/10 6:30:31 PM quicklookd[123] [QL ERROR] 'Creating thumbnail' timed out for ''

23/05/10 2:27:25 PM com.apple.launchd[1] (com.apple.aslmanager) Throttling respawn: Will start in 3 seconds
23/05/10 2:27:28 PM com.apple.quicklook[109] invalid #-escape sequence.
23/05/10 2:27:28 PM com.apple.quicklook[109] encountered unexpected object type: 7.
23/05/10 2:27:29 PM com.apple.launchd[78] ([0x0-0xd00d].com.apple.AddressBook.abd[112]) Check-in of Mach service failed. PID 112 is not privileged: com.apple.AddressBook.abd
23/05/10 2:27:29 PM com.apple.quicklook[109] xref table size mismatch: calculated 462; /Size = 463.

===============
If I had the money, of course I'd buy another computer. But I don't. And deep inside, I still believe there's a fix...

Chris

Return to posts index

Jim McNally
Re: What is WRONG with my MAC G5?
on May 24, 2010 at 10:38:49 pm

When you re-installed the OS had you refomatted the drive or has it been touched through all this?

Jim McNally
The Commercial Factory
http://www.commercialfactory.com

Return to posts index

Eddie Torre
on May 24, 2010 at 10:45:30 pm

In the past I had a Power Mac G5 (June 2004) that exhibited these symptoms.

I can't remember the specific console info I got at the time, but I did have the other symptoms namely, sluggish performance, sleep issues, jet engine fans, resulting in having to do hard shut downs everytime. It started with one big kernel panic and slowly went downhill from there.

Like you I ran hardware test and everything was okay. Took it in to Apple and they repalced the video card, but it didn't help.

Then I noticed that the symptoms would only manifest themselves after a period of use (as opposed to say within the first 30 minutes of use).

I took my machine back to Apple and told them that they needed to leave the machine on for a while (I think I told them to leave it on for an hour before testing it). It was only then that they were able to replicate the issues you describe.

As a result of this, they replaced the logic board and a multiptrocessor in my machine and it was flawless after that. Not sure if your issue is the same as what mine was, but I just wanted to let you know that I tried EVERYTHING (I think I ran a few terminal commnads too), but nothing.

I can't say whether your issue was exactly the same as mine, but just wanted to let you know that I tried for an extended period of time (days) and was never able to figure it out, but the logic board and multiprocessor fixed the issues I was having. If it is the logic board on your machine, it cold be expensive to fix through Apple so be careful.

You may want to put the iStat Pro widget on your machine to see if one of the multiprocessors is running considerably hotter than the other.

Return to posts index

Christopher McDonell
on May 24, 2010 at 11:19:38 pm

Thanks Eddie. I do get better performance out of FCP in the first half hour or so, and have actually been restarting quite frequently to improve capture. Hmm. I can pay for another diagnostics ($110), or try replacing the video card myself and see what happens (if I can find one cheap enough, but logic board... probably too pricey and not worth it. Must give this some thought.

Jim: I didn't do any kind of re-formatting. I just ran the erase and install OS Leopard, I think, from the startup disk, then did the updates...

Also, it might be worth noting that I experienced a weird glitch with the display last week. When I turned the computer on, the display stayed black. The display light flashed several times, in series of 3's, I think, fast ones. I restarted and everything went been back to usual.

Return to posts index

Eddie Torre
on May 25, 2010 at 12:47:28 am

I went back and dug up my Work Authorization Agreement from 2005.

Initially they did the following repairs which didn't work.

1 x HARDWARE REPAIR-LEVEL 2
1 x Card, Video, NV40

On the second visit they did the following which fixed it.

1 x Board, Logic, H
1 x Multiprocessor, Dual 2.5

In the notes it says "top processor fan running a bit hotter then bottom" I'm not sure if that was my note to them or their observation.

Return to posts index

Eddie Torre
on May 25, 2010 at 2:46:34 am

"Also, it might be worth noting that I experienced a weird glitch with the display last week. When I turned the computer on, the display stayed black."

Yes that is definitely worth noting. On my work authorization, that was one of the notes as well "Unit boots to no video intermittently". That would manifest itself after using the G5 for about 1/2 hour or so too.

I'd have the issues described in the original post, then I would need to reboot and it would intermittently boot to black. The key word being "intermittent" because it wouldn't happen every time. That's why they had a hard time replicating it. I think that was what lead them to first replace the video card which was unsuccessful.

Return to posts index

Zane Barker
on May 25, 2010 at 2:19:22 am

I agree it does sound like it is most likely a bad processor or logic board.

Where your machine is 6 years old unfortunately Apple won't be able to repair it. They only get parts for computers for 5 years I think. You could try a non apple owned repair place if you want but really putting money into a machine that old is not a good idea. Put the money into a NEW machine.

Hindsight is always 1080p

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on May 25, 2010 at 2:02:07 am

Try - http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1379

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on May 25, 2010 at 2:06:42 am

Your hard drives are close to full. That would explain the dropped frames.

Return to posts index

Jim McNally
on May 25, 2010 at 2:15:56 am

I've had success with strange, non explainable problems doing what is described here; http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1417

Booting into Safe mode and running FSCK twice /sbin/fsck -fy from the command line. Works for software problems. Would maybe help determine if it is hardware problem.

Jim McNally
The Commercial Factory

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on May 25, 2010 at 3:38:28 am

Run DiskWarrior.
My G5 (Nov 2004) runs perfect.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Zane Barker
on May 25, 2010 at 3:48:39 am

"Run DiskWarrior"

He has already done 2 erase and installs of the OS. Any corruption that disk warrior would find would have been wiped out by the erase.

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on May 25, 2010 at 4:28:15 am

[Zane Barker] "He has already done 2 erase and installs of the OS. Any corruption that disk warrior would find would have been wiped out by the erase. "
Not at all Zane.
After a PERFECT install the system is a real mess.
If you run DW you will find some "30% of Items Out of Order".
rafael

Return to posts index

John Fishback
on May 25, 2010 at 3:11:02 pm

I agree with Rafael. Run DiskWarrior. I run it once a month as preventive maintenance. BTW, my old G5 still works fine.

John

MacPro 8-core 2.8GHz 8 GB RAM OS 10.5.8 QT7.6.4 Kona 3 Dual Cinema 23 ATI Radeon HD 3870, 24" TV-Logic Monitor, ATTO ExpressSAS R380 RAID Adapter, PDE enclosure with 8-drive 6TB RAID 5
FCS 3 (FCP 7.0.2, Motion 4.0.2, Comp 3.5.2, DVDSP 4.2.2, Color 1.5.2)

Pro Tools HD w SYNC IO & 192 Digital I/O, Yamaha DM1000, Millennia Media HV-3C, Neumann U87, Schoeps Mk41 mics, Genelec Monitors, PrimaLT ISDN

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on May 25, 2010 at 3:18:08 pm

Disk warrior won't fix hardware issues, though.

This is looking like a hardware fault.

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on May 25, 2010 at 3:50:34 pm

Jeremy,
My first few months with that G5 were a real nightmare: a Kernel panic every 10 minutes (a huge list of people complaining about the same issue).
Sent back to Singapore and returned in the same conditions.
I bought DW and ran it and everything was fixed.
Sure it was a bug in Panther (or Tiger). Of course Apple never said a word, just fixed it.
Rafael

Return to posts index

Christopher McDonell
on May 25, 2010 at 4:14:14 pm

Thanks for all the responses, guys. Hundred bucks for Disk Warrior? Or the same to take it back to an Apple dealer for another diagnostics test? Hmm. Lemme think.

Incidentally, I've been running Activity Monitor and the flash content on this site is maxing out my CPU usage. Literally 100% user. With nothing else running but Safari. Does this offer any clues? (I wish...)

chris

Return to posts index

Zane Barker
on May 25, 2010 at 4:24:43 pm

"Incidentally, I've been running Activity Monitor and the flash content on this site is maxing out my CPU usage. Literally 100% user. With nothing else running but Safari. Does this offer any clues?"

That just goes to show everybody how crappy flash really is.

Return to posts index

Jim McNally
on May 25, 2010 at 4:40:21 pm

I would run FSCK if you don't have Disk Warrior. It's free.

Jim McNally
The Commercial Factory

Return to posts index

Christopher McDonell
on May 25, 2010 at 10:21:28 pm

Alright Jim, I took your advice and ran fsck in single user mode. Strangely, the fans came on and roared like crazy during the process, which usually results in a crash. But no crash. Two tests though gave my Macintosh HD an OK.

I swear this webpage alone is eating up my computer's performance. istat pro shows the cpu at 77% user, and no other applications are open. Does that sound indicative of video card, or processor, or logic board??? I'm leaning heavily towards this being a hardware issue now.

Chris

Return to posts index

Jim McNally
on May 25, 2010 at 10:49:47 pm

If it is any consolation, I checked my activity monitor with Firefox on this machine and it is at 71% on Creative Cow. On my other G5 it started at 93 and is down to 44 but still fluctuating.

Perhaps trying some Final Cut Work and see what issues come up.

Jim McNally
The Commercial Factory

Return to posts index

John Kaley
on May 27, 2010 at 4:02:01 pm

Without a doubt, you have a slow coolant leak. The cooling system sits right on top of the CPU's and is slowly leaking. The good news: Apple will fix it for free.

My dual 2.7 from 2005 died in May 2009. I took it to an Apple store and was charged $85 for them to tell me that either the CPU or motherboard or both were faulty. I accepted this as an answer.

I put the computer away expecting one day to part it out on eBay. February 2010: I decide to part it out but first did a quick internet search on the machine's value. I found a site that explained how to get these faulty machines fixed for free.

I took my machine apart (not easy) and found dried coolant between the CPU and cooling system. I called Apple and talked with their techies who ask me to send photos.

The case was verified and I was told to drop the machine back at the Apple Store. They put NEW CPU in a 5 year old computer! I'm still using the machine. Good Luck!

the website:
http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/systems/G5_coolant_leaks.html

Return to posts index

Christopher McDonell
on May 27, 2010 at 4:40:22 pm

Damn, I wish you were right! There's nothing I'd love more than to find some green liquid oozing out of my computer so I can solve the riddle that's been plaguing me for months and get a brand new Mac for free. But... my single processor G5 2.0 (2004) is not on the list of leaking coolant suspects. And I've been inside it poking around multiple times and haven't seen or smelt any goo. I strongly assume it's an air-cooled machine. Can someone prove me wrong?

In the meantime, I'm going to try to rule out the Maxtor harddrive and clone the OS onto an external drive and boot up from that...

But thanks for the ideas and feedback, guys. Keep it coming!

Chris

Return to posts index

John Kaley
on May 27, 2010 at 4:56:57 pm

Rats! You may be right. The DP 2.5 was the first liquid-cooled model from June 2004. It was worth a shot.

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on May 28, 2010 at 1:57:00 am

[Christopher McDonell] " But... my single processor G5 2.0 (2004) is not on the list of leaking coolant suspects. And I've been inside it poking around multiple times and haven't seen or smelt any goo. I strongly assume it's an air-cooled machine"
The fans going mad is nothing related with the cooling.
With the kernel panic, the system lose control of the fans and those start to work at full speed.

Christopher, I recommend you to don't waist your time and energy looking for strange solutions.
Get your self DiskWarrior, TechTools or Drive Wizard.
The FSK mentioned here is not enough.
You need to rebuild the directories.
rafael

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]