FORUMS: list search recent posts

QT Uncompressed 10 Bit Issues...

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kellen Dengler
QT Uncompressed 10 Bit Issues...
on May 24, 2010 at 4:29:31 pm

I'm having some strange things happen when exporting my finished project to 10 Bit Uncompressed QuickTime. (The original project uses 1080P24 from a Canon 5DMKII and it was all converted to ProRes422 for FCP.)

The client needs an Uncompressed 10 Bit QT file to use for dubbing the HD Cam masters for final delivery.

I am exporting the project from FCP using Compressor and the QuickTime 10 Bit Uncompressed setting. It is creating the file just fine, and the end product looks great, but it doesn't play back smoothly. It is jerky and skips. The audio is fine in playback, but the video is not.

I've researched into this as much as I can and it sounds like most people's problems with 10 Bit Uncompressed QT are the result of slow hardware. I feel like my MacPro should be capable of smooth playback of these so I'm just wondering what I might be doing wrong?

Thanks!

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
Re: QT Uncompressed 10 Bit Issues...
on May 24, 2010 at 4:35:38 pm

Do you have an 8-drive RAID to play back 10-bit uncompressed? If not, it's no wonder you're having issues. It has nothing to do with your computer itself and everything to do the throughput of your hard drive sub-system.

BTW, the client is misinformed, they gain nothing my exporting a 10-bit uncompressed HD file. It's a waste of time, space, and money, period, end of story.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

EPK Colorist - UP IN THE AIR - nominated for six academy awards

A forum host of Creative COW's Apple Final Cut Pro, Business & Marketing, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

Kellen Dengler
on May 24, 2010 at 4:50:03 pm

Hi David,

Thanks for your quick response! I do NOT have an 8-drive RAID system so I am fully assuming that to be the issue based on your response and my additional research.

I kind of phrased that wrong I think, the 10 Bit Uncompressed file isn't actually for the client, but for the dub house to export the best quality for HD Cam tapes to be delivered to the client. The guy at the dub house specifically requested that format so I am assuming him to have much higher end equipment than me to handle this. That would make more sense right?

In your opinion, what would you say would be the best quality QT file for playback on a non-RAIDed system?

Return to posts index

Chris Borjis
on May 24, 2010 at 5:01:17 pm

ProRes

[Kellen Dengler] "what would you say would be the best quality QT file for playback on a non-RAIDed system?"

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on May 24, 2010 at 6:23:40 pm

As Chris says, you are already there, as you're already editing in ProRes. Just export a Quicktime Movie at current settings. Any facility with the most recent version of Quicktime can playback that file whether they are using FCP, Avid, Premiere or even if they are on the Windows platform.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

EPK Colorist - UP IN THE AIR - nominated for six academy awards

A forum host of Creative COW's Apple Final Cut Pro, Business & Marketing, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

Jeff Coleman
on May 24, 2010 at 7:25:24 pm

Your FCP 10-bit Uncompressed movie file may be just fine, you just won't be able to confirm that with your hardware.
So as David suggests, go ahead and send them what you can confirm is good (i.e., the Apple ProRes movie file exported from your timeline) IN ADDITION TO the 10-bit Uncompressed file they've requested.
Perhaps you can call the dub house and find out if your 10-bit file was good. (Even though as David indicated, it won't be any better than the ProRes file)

Return to posts index

Kellen Dengler
on May 24, 2010 at 7:52:39 pm

Thank you all for your guidance. I found out from the dub house that the 10 Bit Uncompressed file is in fact just fine for playback on their RAIDed system, and that a ProRes file would have also given the same results (with probably a smaller file size as well). Either way, the problem has been solved. I think i will just keep everything ProRes moving forward and just avoid a hassle all together. Thanks!

Return to posts index

Muhammad Naseem
on Apr 13, 2011 at 6:18:01 am

Recently, I have purchased a new Mac Pro 2.66 Ghz 12 Core with 16GB RAM and 6TB SATA HDD RAID. I am using RED rocket card as we shoot on RED 435 cam. RED 4K full frame RAW R3D playback perfect now but I am facing problem when exporting my finished project to 10 Bit Uncompressed QuickTime. I am exporting the project from FCP using Compressor and the QuickTime 10 Bit Uncompressed setting. It is creating the file just fine, and the end product looks perfect, but it doesn't play back smoothly. It is jerky and skips. The audio is fine in playback, but the video is not proper. I worked out and researched then it comes to my knowledge that I need to have 8-drive RAID or SAS drive RAID to play back 10-bit uncompressed file.

Can you please advise and suggest solution with the cost. Please recommend SAS adapter and SAS drives for Mac Pro 12 core system. I have worked on the following:

1. ARC-1880i/1880x/1880LP/1880ixl-8/12
(8-16 Ports 6Gb/s SAS/SATA RAID Adapters)

2. MaxConnect for MacPro 8x - 2.5 inch Disk Drives Optical Drive Bay Disk Mounting Assembly
http://www.maxupgrades.com/istore/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&prod...

Regards

M. Naseem

| Mobile:  +92305 2222822 |  Email: mnaceem@gmail.com | Skype: mnaceem |LinkedIn: http://pk.linkedin.com/in/mnaceem |Twitter: mnaceem |

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]