FORUMS: list search recent posts

Recompress Canon 5Dmk2 mtrl for offline. Offline RT HD too low quality...

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Niklas Lagstrom
Recompress Canon 5Dmk2 mtrl for offline. Offline RT HD too low quality...
on May 24, 2010 at 5:57:51 am

Hi
I will soon go on a trip making a short film. I will only use my macbook pro and a 500gb fw800 5400rpm drive for editing.
I use a 5dmk2 which delivers 1920x1080p 25fps material.

I have experimented with recompressing the material to offlineRT HD but I think that resolution is too low even for offline editing. I need a copy with acceptable quality for a customer (not a colorist though!)to watch. I will also need to be able to add some light effects and filters and not have too long render times
I have been thininking of recompressing it to Prores Proxy 720p 25fps and use that as a offline copy. Do you think that would be a good idea or do you have any other suggestions?

Since the new Canon plugin for FCP does only offer offline rt hd as low quality copy i guess i need to do it in media manager right?
//Niklas Lagström

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
Re: Recompress Canon 5Dmk2 mtrl for offline. Offline RT HD too low quality...
on May 24, 2010 at 6:57:17 am

I have not had issues running ProRes 422 1920 x 1080 25fps off firewire 800 drives. Big fast FW800 drives are so cheap that there is absolutely no reason not to buy a Lacie or WD 2 TB drive and work in full res. No time wasted re transfering and conforming sequences later and full res for all (including colourists) from day one.

If you put a Dollar value on your time, then recapturing files will cost more than buying a new big drive which also becomes an archive backup.

Return to posts index

Niklas Lagstrom
Re: Recompress Canon 5Dmk2 mtrl for offline. Offline RT HD too low quality...
on May 24, 2010 at 7:09:06 am

Thank you for answering and I own pretty big fw800 drives and use it on desktop.
On this partial fieldtrip i will need to carry a very small amount of equipement and be able to work/review material without electricity at some points. Therfore I have chosen to carry my 2,5" fw800 drive that does not need AC power from wall outlet.

BTW i can really recommend this drive for travelling with. It makes everything very portable.
http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/products/external/freeagent/freeagent_go_m...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]